General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle can paint jobs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:34 AM
Ruger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle can paint jobs?

My '89 Fxsts has a real nice custom purple with ghost flames paint job.
I FREAKING hate purple.

Its an older bike so I'm thinking of a satin black with older H.D. tank deacals.
Has anyone done a rattle can in the garage paint job & if so how did it come out?
Also thinking of takeing the tins to the local MACCO to do it.
Any input?
( see mini picture on bike in upper corner)

Old 12-07-2008, 04:50 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rattle canned more than one in my 'career'. Some came out GREAT and some were a GREAT blunder.
Jus' beat the bushes a bit, and you'll find a like minded 'indy' or small timer, who has the equip and talent to shoot what you're looking for, and it won't cost you an arm and leg. Also, with the economy in the tank, there are painters advertising on Craigslist up here. They need to "eat and heat their houses".
The thing 'bout rattle canning it, if you do "F" it up, 3M is still making sandpaper.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:40 AM
Ruger
Advanced

Thanks, good idea, I'll look at the craigslist listing.
Lots of "artis't type" in my area.
I also talked to the local powder coater & he said he could do the parts for $170.
I like that idea.

Last edited by Ruger; 12-07-2008 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:09 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have to ask than most likely it will look like a can spray paint job. 9/10 of any paint job is prep. The last 1/10 is the ability to actually paint with good paint.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:15 AM
expy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did several pieces on my bike following the steps on this site. http://www.customclassictrucks.com/h...obs/index.html

I also applied a clear coat after all of the color sanding with wet sanding and buffing it out as well. Took several tries to get that almost factory look but I think it worked well. I went with powder coating at first and liked it but there was to much orange peel from the shop I went to so decided to redo it with a rattle can. Have them show you pieces that have been powder coated to make sure thats what you want. Powder coating looks good and is durable but in my case this paint job gave a smoother finish. Important to watch humidity and temp. when painting and let stuff DRY before going to the next step. The great thing about color sanding is you do not have to lay down a perfect paint job to get a perfect paint job. Just color sand out blemishes or splatter (which you will get with a rattle can).This is my paint job that has cost maybe $50.00 in total but taken many hours and redos to get what I wanted. I only did the battery box, electrical box, speedo and have the headlight sitting on my fireplace drying as I type this. If you have the time, patience and no monies I say go for the do it yourself satisfaction route. If you have the cash then get a bad *** custom paint or powder coat job from a pro.

Last edited by expy; 12-07-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:23 AM
Chopperz
Outstanding HDF Member

That is the nicest looking reg.superglide I've seen.The color makes it look WAY better.Especially with the clearcoat.

Last edited by Chopperz; 12-07-2008 at 06:25 AM. Reason: edit
Old 12-07-2008, 06:35 AM
expy
Road Captain

Thanks Chopperz, appreciate it.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:49 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

expy - I'd like to commend you on the job you did with a spraycan. I am also aware that pictures never do a paint job justice so your parts probably look even better in person. However, generalizing all powder coated finishes as poor quality and rough textured from your one experience is basically spreading misinformed information and poor advise. That's like saying all paint jobs are poor quality based on your $99 special from MAACO.

Just like the saying "not all painters are created equal," also applies to chromers, mechanics, powder coaters, etc. In the finishing business, you usually get what you pay for. And before taking your parts someplace to get re-finished its ALWAYS a good idea to do a little research about that shop [or person] so you know what to expect.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:04 AM
expy
Road Captain

Point taken powdercoater and your right. I tried to talk about my experience but it came across way to generalized. Edited original post.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:15 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you sir, glad you didn't take offense.

Quick Reply: Rattle can paint jobs?