General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do you think is best ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Forgetful1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what do you think is best ???

I am 6 foot 4 and 320 lbs

I am thinking of getting a 09 fatbob

any help or info will be much appreciated

what Harley will I be most comfortable on ???

Old 12-10-2008, 11:02 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're a big guy. Harley designs their bikes to be ridden by someone 5'10".. so you're 6" out of spec. So to be comfortable you'll have to make some (expensive) mods... (everything HD does is expensive). Forward controls, different handlebars, different seat.. you're talking some pretty serious change here.

Just a suggestion... and I know I'll get slammed for this here...

Try finding an Indian Chief somewhere. I'd go with a Gilroy Indian, 1999-2003. I say that because I owned one. I'm 6'0", and I felt TINY on that bike. If you go this route AND you get either a 2002 or 2003 Chief with the Power Plus 100 motor, you want one with a rebuilt engine, preferably done by either Joe Malfa (out of Reno NV) or BlackHawk motors (Frank), out of one of the Carolinas I think. The Chief is a good bike (other than the motor quality issues of the last two years they were made), first you'll attract a lot more old timers with tales of the old days, and second, you won't loose your bike in the parking lot (amidst all the ubiquitous harleys).

Old 12-10-2008, 11:03 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Forgetful1
I am 6 foot 4 and 320 lbs

I am thinking of getting a 09 fatbob

any help or info will be much appreciated

what Harley will I be most comfortable on ???
I have a novel idea. Go to your local Dealer and test ride a couple. Only you will know what you feel comfortable on.
Or you can do what I did and buy what you want and start doing mods to make it fit you. I'm on my 3rd seat and I think I've finally got it about where I want it. You and I are about the same size. The stock seat on mine was too low. Made my hips and knees ache. Got a seat from a Xbones on it now and no more aching hips a knees but now my *** gets numb. Gonna try the Old style spring seat.
Point is just make it what you need it to be. That's half the joy of owning one in my opinion

Old 12-11-2008, 07:59 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

One of my riding buddies is 6'5" his forearms used to lay his on thighs riding his RK until he changes his bars and seat.He still makes the bike look small.Good Luck

Old 12-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Forgetful1
Novice

thanks guys
just don't want to look like a monkey humping a football
the fatbob i am pretty comfortable on with some adjustments and the price is right, but the fatboy is pretty nice also....god i am just like a chick, can't make up my mind

Old 12-11-2008, 10:21 AM
FUQUA
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitley a touring bike.....

Old 12-11-2008, 10:23 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You may be able to find a used Harley, that the previous owner has customized, to fit a taller rider. There are quite a few good, used, HDs on the market right now. Try:
http://www.cycletrader.com/
That is where I found my bike.
Tom

Old 12-11-2008, 10:23 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

6'6" 215 here, got a Dyna Super Glide Custom with forwards and a Sundowner seat, and it's all good!

I wanted a Fat Bob bad, but out of my price range.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:49 AM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by IronAss
I have a novel idea. Go to your local Dealer and test ride a couple. Only you will know what you feel comfortable on.
Or you can do what I did and buy what you want and start doing mods to make it fit you. I'm on my 3rd seat and I think I've finally got it about where I want it. You and I are about the same size. The stock seat on mine was too low. Made my hips and knees ache. Got a seat from a Xbones on it now and no more aching hips a knees but now my *** gets numb. Gonna try the Old style spring seat.
Point is just make it what you need it to be. That's half the joy of owning one in my opinion
+1
Im 6'4 n 260 and ride a Softail.. Im also very comfortable on Mama's Roadking..
Go sit onna few..

Old 12-11-2008, 11:46 AM
ga.mason
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'4". 300lbs. and I'm perfectly comfortable on my 07 Ultra. No adjustments needed for me. just highway pegs for the longer rides.

Quick Reply: what do you think is best ???