Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Fork seal tool... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/306767-fork-seal-tool.html)

TRS_2000FLHRCI 01-09-2009 10:46 PM

Fork seal tool...

1 Attachment(s)
Just curious as to what you guys use to install the oil seals in your touring fork sliders. I just installed a Progressive lowering kit in my RKC and made my own tool for installing the seals into the sliders. I figure some of you have done the same thing. Since I had the forks apart I installed new seals and O rings.

I got a 1 1/2" PVC coupler and ground off the inner barrier ring inside the coupler with a dremel tool. The coupler was a perfect size to slide over the fork tube, but was just a little large to fit into the fork slider where the seal goes. I used a bench grinder and ground off about 1/16" all the way around the coupler about a 1/2" wide on one end. It made a perfect tool for installing the oil seals. The coupler sat right on top of the seal and I used an aluminum pipe to slide over the fork tube. This pipe rested on the top of the coupler. Just pecked on the end of the pipe with a hammer and it pushed the seal into the slider perfectly.

The PVC coupler cost me a whopping .56 cents and I already had the piece of aluminum pipe laying around. Probably a tad cheaper than a Harley brand tool :) .

I opted to only lower the front 1 inch...I also have the HD low profile shocks on the rear. I used the SE Heavy fork oil. The Progressive Springs and SE Heavy fork oil made such a big difference in the ride of the bike. Feels much more stable and firm yet a nice comfortable ride...no more mushy feeling.

anubisss 01-09-2009 10:48 PM

Nice. Jsut ordered my lowering springs about an hour ago. Already got the heavy fork oil. Now I am excited. Thanks for the tip too...

xxxflhrci 01-10-2009 01:44 AM

I use my fingertips and then a couple of wooden dowels 180 degrees from each other to seat the seals. Doing it this way allows me to do the job without pulling the fork tube outta the trees.

Da Gumpmeister 01-10-2009 03:12 AM

You didn't do very good in "Magician School", did you? ;) ;)

You ain't s'posed to give out the 'magic trix'. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Basically the same scenario for the trans main shaft seal.
Just make sure it is going in straight.
For a couple of mine, I turned steel ones down on a buddy's lathe. Paint 'em black n orange, looks like a Harley tool, to me. :D :D

steveh326 01-10-2009 05:49 AM

I took a piece of 1 1/2" PCV pipe, about a foot and a half long or so, split it lengthwise on my bandsaw, and just held the 2 halves together over the seal and drove it in by tapping the tops of the halves with a hammer.

But I think I like yours better. I would probably try to attach your coupler to a piece of 2" pvc pipe to use as a driver...

dawg 01-10-2009 10:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
PVC trick here

stro1965 01-10-2009 10:47 AM

I cut a 1/2" strip out of my PVC pipe on my table saw, then drew it up to the correct size with hose clamps. Works like a charm.