General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you get Road King Gas cap Off?

Old 01-13-2009, 01:40 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The removable gas cap is available as an upgrade Part number 55027-08 $199.88. 2008 Road King models require the separate purchase of Road King adapter part # 65339-08 $39.98.

A little spendy but well worth it in the long run. I think you well find that most people on the forum have upgraded.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:40 AM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Just a suspicion......but is somebody is having fun at the expense of some forum members. There is no way in hell that this is a legitimate question.

I loved the tool though. That is some funny chit.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:23 AM
Matty64
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RiverWolf
I would consider not removing it in the first place.
The tips of your gloves will rub the tank and leave scratch marks.
These will never completly buff out.
No, best to just leave well enough alone.
If he is wearing the required "fingerless gloves" and has a fresh manicure the scratching of the tank should not be a problem but I would consult my dealer before voiding the warranty by filling it with non HD fuel.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:12 AM
Roadkingfatboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, don't listen to them they are trying to give you a hard time. Both of the caps on the tank are dummies. Look to the bottom right of the motor, there you will see the gas cap it is about 1 1/2 " across and kinda looks like a stop sign. Filling it up be careful for it only takes around 4 quarts, but it does have a little gauge dangling from it as well as the other gauge on top of the tank. Good luck

Old 01-13-2009, 05:50 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Harleys get such great gas mileage that they rarely if ever need gas. The gauges are very inaccurate so don't pay any attention to the gauge.

If the bike gets used to not getting gas too often, eventually you can wean it from ever needing any gas at all.

Don't worry about it. Just ride.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:54 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by midlife rider
bwahahahahahahaha!!!!! I'll bet it costs $100
You can get one from one of those "Billy Miller" info-mercials for $19.95 plus a small shipping and handling fee. But that's not all.......If you call now they will double your order....You only pay an additional fee to cover the additional shipping and handling.
Be aware of imitations.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

OK now I feel bad for making a joke out of it...It's not hard to get it off. All you have to do is to apply pressure downward and to the left which I guess would be towards the rear of the bike if you are standing on the right side facing the tank, but if you are sitting on the bike it would be rearward or if you are on the left side of the bike it would be to the right.

While doing whatever it was I said above, you need to press and hold both of the turn signal activation buttons until you see 6 alternating reverse flashes from your "low oil pressure" light on the speedo.

Now this part is very important.....Turn the Ignition to ON then Off then On then Off Then to Acc very quickly 7 times.

Once you have done the above procedure all you need to do to get the cap off is to buy one of those Harley Cap Remover Tools Referenced in a previous post.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:22 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

BEFORE you even take it off, IF you can git it off, JUST WHERE DO YOU PLAN ON PUTTING IT WHILST FILLING? That's why I don't take mine off. I am too con-fussed trying to finger out 'where to put it'. Is it 'on the seat', in your pocket, on top the gas pump? Saw a guy put it in his OL's cleveage. Tried that, didn't care for that 'gas smell' later that nite.
So, what say you????

IF you are too embare-assed to ask the gurl at the counter how to git it off, jus' fake it, and sit on the scoot out front, drinking coffee, smokin', and talkin' schmott. You'll be jus' fine. When they close, jus' load it back on the trailer, head home, return early in the morn, and then repeat. Come back, and post 'bout ALL the ppl you met at the station.

Oh yea, lookin' fwd to meetin' ya at the "POSER M & G" in Janesville, Wi in July.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:46 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just unscrew it. It's probably pretty tight from some of the gorillas in the shop but it actually has a slip and click feature if you turn it too far to the right.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:02 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, tough crowd on the newbie.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you get Road King Gas cap Off?