General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shovelheads.......Who Said.....

Old 01-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Shovelheads.......Who Said.....

They are oil drippin', partz droppin', tooth rattlin' POS's?
Ran acrossed this one whilst browsing, and it got me ta thinkin', 'bout the 'copycat' motors, etc.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/1006935594.html
Check out the pics, didn't want to 'post' them here, as they are big, and I hate havin' to 'scroll' to read posts.

Part of me is 'pleased' that they have taken the 'old' motors, and using modern metals and machine technologies, to produce some really great running and reliable, drip free, classics. If you have never spent much time hangin' round some of the older iron, it just sounds 'sweeter' IMFUO. And these 'new' motors, are not only good, but also reasonably priced for what you're gettin'. Again, IMFUO. So it makes it possible for a lot more ppl to have access to them and enjoy them.
One can literally build a complete '47 Knuck, and if you are so inclined, sneak a rather large cubic inch motor into it, BUT still look 100% original.

But that is the part I hate, also. Having spent most of my time, putzin' on 'old' ones, having so many 'same' ones runnin' 'round, sorta takes away from the 'mystique', if you will.

But in the overall picture, I'd have to say, it is a good thing. And some of them out here running 'round, have as many or more miles on 'em, than some of the 'new' motors (TCs), so guess they have a track history of reliability.

Just curious what others are thinking when they see these out and about.
But this one in the add, is one good looking shovelhead, IMO. Plus, it'll still sound like a shovelhead.

What say ya'll? Fur 'em or 'gain 'em?

Old 01-26-2009, 11:04 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, I think the shovelhead is the best looking motor HD has made. If that S&S motor is reliable then so much the better. At least S&S is an american company.

I was cruising around yesterday and at a gas station I pulled into some guy was on a stripped down bobber with a shovel. I said I was hoping to see him kick it over. He said he'd be happy if it started on the first kick. It did and sounded bad as hell.

Last edited by carpetride; 01-26-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:07 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gump, I like old knucks,pans, and shovels. If I was building a around town, stay in the state bike, old iron is cool. If I want to run with the evo's and twin cams hard all day and still want old iron cool. These new engines are the ticket. I wouldn't be destroying an old engine trying to run with the new engines and at the same time I keep the styling that made these engines classic in the view. Anytime I see an old engine on a bike that doesn't look like it belongs I ask about it. Having modern engines built old school is cool to me as long as they don't try to pass it off as old school.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:49 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Friend of mine back home has a custom with an S&S Shovel and it runs really strong and sounds like a shovel. At first I thought it was an original. He says it's pretty smooth and don't leak a drop of oil.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:27 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Ultima just came out with a "new" 96" Shovelhead!

Jerih is selling them for $5000 with everything except a manifold and carb . . .

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/shovelhead.html

Old 01-26-2009, 03:58 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm all for them. Especially in custom built bikes.
Helps to keep more original bikes in one piece.
Also helps to get more old bikes out of the barns back on the road.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:50 PM
powaypete
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's strange that you say this, been hemming and hawing about picking up a 70's era rolling chassic and throwing one of those S&S pan motors that have the shovelhead valvetrain in it but with the pan covers. Hook that to a OD 6 speed (the motor requires a 70 or new primary) and get out of town. Bottom line is that Mamma wants more comfort and Dad want to go back to old iron but without the hassle of whats required to keep old iron running daily.

So far, it's about $4,000 less than a new ultra according to my wish list.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:52 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shovels are one of my favorites also

Old 01-26-2009, 07:25 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

To me, it has to have a Harley vin# to be a real shovel.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:02 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I've mentioned before I really want to build another pan chop. As much as I love my Ultra, I really miss my old bike. Now mine didn't leak after I rebuilt it, it did mark its spot, but then it was designed to! ( Primary oiler was a 100% loss system ).

Since I want to build a chop anyhow I don't think I would have a problem with a new panhead as long as the price was right. Of course there is something to be said about riding a bike that was "born" the same year I was ! Back on the other hand I just remember how much work it was to build mine and get it sealed up right. Hmmm nice to have options.

Oh and the panhead with a tin primary and a mousetrap is the toughest looking setup Harley ever made.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shovelheads.......Who Said.....