General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona Bike week turnout

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:33 AM
HighriderUSA
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by betsybo
I was at the Destination Daytona HD shop yesterday. It's the biggest dealership I've ever seen -- or even imagined. The sales person said that their goal was to sell 550 bikes during Bike Week and they were already over 400. They had a three-bay "new bike delivery" area and each lane was stacked about three or four bikes deep at 7 pm Friday night. Rossmeyer is quoted in today's paper as saying parts sales are up 10-15%. Recession, hell.....

The HD shop really has to be seen to be believed.
Question, Are the bargains THAT GOOD that this dealer sells that many bikes to out of state ( I presume) customers?

I always heard this guy was over MSRP. What is the REAL story on this!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Fl Biker
Cruiser

Up-down, i can't tell ya. What i don't understand is they let cages drive main street. If I remember in the past cages were not allowed to drive on main street. Standing at Full Moon Saloon with a cold one a bike stopped traffic to back into a parking spot and a cage behind the bike was upset that he stopped traffic. Too funny

Old 03-08-2009, 08:13 AM
titusvilleharley
Banned For Ripping Off HDF Members

Originally Posted by jeffflsti
I had no problems finding a slot on main several times this week. Boot hill was not full as I remember. all the beer you can drink vs 2 drink max and out ya go. Ormond iron horse was plenty of parking even when david allen coe played.
when i was at boothill you had a choice 1 dollor beer or 2 dollor beer.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Crash Davis
Novice

Originally Posted by HighriderUSA
Question, Are the bargains THAT GOOD that this dealer sells that many bikes to out of state ( I presume) customers?

I always heard this guy was over MSRP. What is the REAL story on this!
It's a bunch of hype imo. A few years back he had a blue satin street bob for 2500 below MSRP. I don't like that color, but the savings would buy new tins/custom paint job. I asked the out-the-door price. Dealer prep fee sent the price well above MSRP. Got a great deal on my new street bob elsewhere.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:18 AM
titusvilleharley
Banned For Ripping Off HDF Members

when i pulled out of iron horse and went north towards destanation i got stuck in a traffic jam on us 1 that was about a mile long

Old 03-08-2009, 02:57 PM
drogers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back after spending 10 days in Daytona.Been going 35 years.I never went east of the speedway,(stayed there)so I can't tell you about the beach crowd. Hwy 92 coming into Daytona was packed Fri Sat.The races seemed like attendance was as busy as ever to me.The short track race on Thursday night was as crowded as I've ever seen it.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:06 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't go, .. I don't have any coments.....
.....But.................
I did save alot by switching to Gieco!!!!!

Old 03-08-2009, 03:18 PM
1potter1
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I left KC on Sunday with 15* temps and snow on the ground. I arrived in Daytona on Monday night, the temps in Daytona on Tuesday and Wenesday stayed in the low 50*, I really never was able to get out of my heated gear so that kinda took some of the fun out of the trip. I did enjoy the ride down. There was plenty of motel rooms to be had. First time to bike week maybe my last, I'll stick with Sturgis, always great rides.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:08 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back from Daytona, annoyed that the weather didn't cooperate for a second year in a row. At least this year it didn't rain. We got in on Monday, and as we were pulling the bikes of the trailer, a friend called bitching about the 14 inches of snow. Daytime riding was quite comfortable, nighttime riding was cold. Luckily I packed in a hurry prior to leaving, and had my heated vest with me.

Based on prior years, the crowd seemed down a bit. But really, with the stated if the economy, that doesn't surprise me. I'd be willing to bet that the weekend crowds were better than the mid week crowds. Attendance at the Daytona 200 seemed to be up, surprising in that it was a night race.

All in all it was a good time. Logged almost 800 miles.