General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face Helmets: Is It Just My Imagination?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:53 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 23,633 Likes on 5,229 Posts
Default Full Face Helmets: Is It Just My Imagination?

I recently did a 2000-mile tour of the Southwest U.S. As part of my preparation for the trip, I decided despite longstanding antipathy to try a full face helmet, in this case a Shoei Multi-tech flip front. My buddy wore his customary half-helmet.

Over the course of the trip, I was by far the more comfortable. I could have the face shield up or down; I didn't worry about sunburn, wind or rain. When in town I could have the whole front up (though that's not recommended); or I could just flip it up when getting gas or wanting to talk at a stop.

During the trip, I was totally surprised to see that at least 70% (I'm guessing at the number -- I mean a LOT) of Harley riders we encountered wore full face helmets, with the rest split between half-helmets and 3/4 helmets. This came as a total surprise to me.

So here's my question: Is it just my imagination or is there a rising trend toward full face helmets among Harley riders? Or do many just decide to wear them during long trips? Or was it a fluke?

Whatever the case, I felt a lot less geeky than I expected I would. My only regret is that so many passing cagers were deprived of the sight of my handsome mug

Old 07-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Tat2dGooch
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
Whatever the case, I felt a lot less geeky than I expected I would. My only regret is that so many passing cagers were deprived of the sight of my handsome mug

lmfao!

I wear a full faced flip front harley helmet!

Old 07-26-2009, 09:03 AM
RKRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear a full face about 90% of the time. The other 10% is a trooper style half helmet.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:03 AM
pottsy
Road Master

It's just another step in the wussification of the average rider. Be a man, grow a pair, and throw away the full face.

j/k I don't care what helmet someone wears. I feel uncomfortable in a full face, maybe it's a mild case of claustrophobia.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:12 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 23,633 Likes on 5,229 Posts

Originally Posted by pottsy
It's just another step in the wussification of the average rider. Be a man, grow a pair, and throw away the full face.

j/k I don't care what helmet someone wears. I feel uncomfortable in a full face, maybe it's a mild case of claustrophobia.
I know you were just kidding, pottsy. But I hope this thread doesn't devolve into which helmet is "better." To each his or her own.

I was just wondering if it seems to others, as it does to me, that more HD riders are wearing full face helmets than used to, that's all.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:16 AM
kykurnal
Tourer

I wear a full face. So does a another rider in our riding group. He went down with a slow speed skid and into soft dirt on the side of a hill yesterday. He's glad he was wearing it.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:17 AM
ALPHA_MALE
Tourer

never wore a full face never will but thats just me

Old 07-26-2009, 09:21 AM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Some of the reasons why riders refuse to wear full face helmets is that they are heavy and hot. The newer full face helmets have gone a long way to address those issues. Maybe more riders who have written them off in the past will give them another chance in the future. After all, they DO provide more protection in most crashes. They're just lacking in the cool factor. I only wear one some of the time, myself.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:25 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

As with most 'helmet related threads' I imagine this will migrate into something other than the question asked by the OP, so before that happens I'll just say this.....

Here in the lower Midwest where I spend most of my time (where most of the States are helmet optional), the majority of the guys I ride with, and most other Harley riders we see out on the highway don't wear any helmet..

I'm sure that might not be the case in other areas, but around here I don't see any trend towards 'full face helmets', or any other type of helmet for that matter.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:26 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I have no opinion on this subject but would like to ask "max56" if you could change your Avitar? It's really scary!

Quick Reply: Full Face Helmets: Is It Just My Imagination?