General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unrestored 1948 Panhead Value?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:04 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Had a 51 Panhead strong runner, paid 450.00 for it in 1973 never did anything but ride and service it for 6K and sold it for 2,000 in 74.. Wish still had it now ...

Old 04-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For $5k, I can be there this evening with a truck, a ramp and cash. I'm just sayin'.....

Old 04-12-2009, 09:01 AM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So just how many gems are in this barn? Any listing on that & contact info?

Old 04-12-2009, 10:13 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Couple of things...paint, bags, seat, tires, luggage rack are not stock for 1948 (or even accessories offered from the factory). Paint almost looks like a 49 color (burgundy)

Wiring, at least what you showed of the from the front end appears to be a bit dicked up. Fuel line from the gas tank to the carb looks like it was replaced with copper. This just a short list from your pics...

You might consider getting a copy of Palmer's Guide and reading it thoroughly and taking it with you when you go back. MoCo was **** about coding parts (everything from the frame, heads, cylinders, cases, kicker cover, tranny, etc) back then as well as finishes used (cap, parkerized and a bit of chrome). Even the patent decal on the oil tank varied over the years.

So, it is indeed a barn find (a very nice one at that), but when you negotiate a price be aware, it is not a stock and unrestored bike.

BTW, I hope you get it. Still riding the same 65 pan I bought from the original owner in 1970. Currently working on a 49EL that I found in pieces in a barn almost 9 years ago. It had sat there for over 30 years before i rescued it.

Last edited by panz4ever; 04-12-2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 04-12-2009, 11:24 AM
oldmanwayne
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by I am Jerry
I've got a feeling this guy knows what he's got but I can't figure out why it has sat for so long. I'll let y'all know how this turns out.
The whitewalls look clean for a barn find bike. It looks more like a cleanup project than anything else. What I like about this forum is it is a great spot to learn about old iron and values. Love to hear how this deal works out!!

Old 04-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bar_Hopper
tell ya what, its probably not worth anything. just tell me where it is, and ill come take it off your hands for ya!!!!
too funny

Old 04-12-2009, 11:44 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmanwayne
The whitewalls look clean for a barn find bike. It looks more like a cleanup project than anything else. What I like about this forum is it is a great spot to learn about old iron and values. Love to hear how this deal works out!!
That's because they didn't make them for pans in '48. Only came with black.

Nice thing is that Coker Tire Co. sells Firestone and Goodyear replicas

Old 04-16-2009, 08:43 AM
I am Jerry
Road Master

Below is an e-mail from my buddy for those of you interested.

"I just found out today that the serial #s on the cases of the '48 pan do match. the bike is original. he has owned it for 15 years. the engine was totally rebuilt 3 years ago and was running good at that time. but we both know that a rebuild depends on exactly who rebuilt it and what all they did. obviously the paint is not original, a friend of his redid it about 10 years ago. we are currently negotiating on price and are trying to work out as trade with one of our trailers that this guy wants. he also has a cushman eagle scooter that a cousin of my mom's want so we are trying to work that into the deal as well. if and when i go down there to get the 48 fl, ill get as much info on the other panhead as i can. the 48 pan is a keeper but the 55 pan in the back of that one picture is not of much interest to us. i will find out what he wants for it and get more info. ill keep you posted."

Old 04-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why can't I find one like that?????

Here ya go, I was born in '52. Been looking for decades. WHEN they do come along, NO "F"ing $$$.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/1119341288.html

Original, Unrestored, Restored, OEM or Reprop, ain't no way I'd kick it outta bed for eatin' cracka's.

And if ya have a 'mind to', here's a 48, that RUNS and drives.
(OKAY, so it's NOT exactly stock, '48 DIDN'T have a chrome springer!! )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01XG8LPM__I (CRANK THE VOL.!!!!)

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 04-16-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:16 AM
69z28
Road Warrior

Damn man I see another pan there along with a Sprint and a Cushman.Some serious stuff in that barn.Wish it were my friend.

Quick Reply: Unrestored 1948 Panhead Value?