General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short people got no reason to ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 01:51 PM
rockDAWG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short people got no reason to ride

Hey folks...... Newbie here with my first post here. I have been an avid Jeeper all my life, riding topless and doorless through out the country in rock crawling. Last years, my son, 19, wanted to learn how to ride a bike. Instead of say no to him, we both took the state safety riding course. We both passed and got our motor cycle lisense. I bough a Honda Rebel and ride her everyday to and from work whenever I can. Love it and but time to move up.

I have a problem, I am only 5'4" and 150 lbs. I have two general questions:
1. What model can I handle safely with any modification?
2. what is the biggest bike I can modify to ride safely?

I am not sure what my riding style is, and it still being developed. But I can safely say that I doubt I will ride it across the country like I would ride in my Jeep. I am not young anymore, so weaving in and out of the trafffic on the street is not my kind of fun although I used to do that in my Bimmer or while driving a cab in NYC 30 years ago.

I would like to hear from the shorter folks here about their experiece in chossing a Harley? And how they can overcome the phyical handicap of riding a bigger bike.

I went to the HD dealer last nite and sat on a few. Please provide me some feedback to narrow down a bit. Many thanks.

===========
In 1977, it was a big hit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA

Old 04-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, I still sing that song some times. Love it.

I'm not short, 6'0" but your best bet is going to be the lower Softails or Dynas. There are a couple of Sportys which have short shocks and stuff, but they aren't exactly accommodating.

Go to a dealer, sit on a few models and find the one which allows you to put your feet flat on the ground with a slight bend to your knees. You'll need that bend in your knees for pushing back out of parking spaces, etc...

If you can't find anything that does this bone stock, find the closest you can get and plan to put on a lowering kit or shorter shocks.

There are lots of height challenged people on the forum, they'll help you out for sure.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:00 PM
OrangeTJ
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The Softails have very low seats, as do the "Low" Sportsters. The Sportsters have the additional advantage of being narrower, which also makes it easier to get your feet down. If you can get your ***** of your feet firmly planted on the ground, you should be fine. The Sportster Nightster and Iron and Softail Deluxe might be good starting points. A Dyna lowrider could work as well.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Cajun King
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the softtail Deluxe. It sits low. Good all around bike.

Last edited by Cajun King; 04-30-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:04 PM
ndfi78
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the softail deluxe is the lowest bike, could be wrong.

EDIT: deluxe not heritage

Last edited by ndfi78; 04-30-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by OrangeTJ
The Softails have very low seats, as do the "Low" Sportsters. The Sportsters have the additional advantage of being narrower, which also makes it easier to get your feet down. If you can get your ***** of your feet firmly planted on the ground, you should be fine. The Sportster Nightster and Iron and Softail Deluxe might be good starting points. A Dyna lowrider could work as well.
Personally, I don't like the idea of just the ***** of your feet on the ground. That assumes that you'll always be on a flat surface. If the road has an angle at all and only the ***** of your feet reach on level ground, there's a good chance both feet won't be on the ground, which can be very unsafe/hazardous to both you and the bike.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:08 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Dynas and softails should be fine. I have friend who is a little smaller then you are. he has Softail Custom with a lowing kit on it. He handles just as good as the next guy. By the way Congrats on joining the forum and deciding to get a Harley. You'll never be the same after that first time.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:08 PM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a Softtail Deluxe (lowest seat height in the HD lineup), or Fatboy with a sundowner seat. Good all around bikes, easy to handle and a low center of gravity. These are actually easier to ride than the much lighter weight sportsters. These models are great for around town, or short trips, but are big enough to go cross country on if you should ever decide you want to.
The Heritage Softtail is also a great bike and can have a lower seat (sundowner) easily put on it.
One more thing, Softails are the easiest and cheapest bikes to lower if you really want to get close to the ground.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:12 PM
cadman311
Club Member

Harley sell lowering stuff like shocks, seat, bars, smaller tire size. Any can be made to fix the use or go three wheeling. Now go look in the bike book for seat height all can be lower from stock. lower in the reach seat and 2" in shocks. Going to lower profile tire helps or new wheel size.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:20 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

I'm 5'7" and have no problems at all with either of my bikes. The trick is when you place your feet on the ground point your toes away from the bike. Towards 10 o clock on the left foot and 2 o clock on the right. You can do this flat footed or with just the ***** of your feet. Then your entire leg holds the bike up, not just your ankles and you'll feel your thighs actually grip the seat. The seat on my Heritage is lower than the RK. Buy motorcycle boots with a good size heel and you won't have any problems.

Last edited by barjbar; 04-30-2009 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Short people got no reason to ride