Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Elvis Presley (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/344114-elvis-presley.html)

Mudbugclub 05-04-2009 03:57 AM

Elvis Presley

Did anyone hear a story about a guy finding out he owned a Harley that had belonged to Elvis Presley? The story was that he found a note under the seat with a message from Johnny Cash?

A mate told me he heard about this on the radio, but I can't find any record of the story.

DaltonHD 05-04-2009 04:39 AM

I waiting for the punch-line...

billyboy890 05-04-2009 04:44 AM

it was on radio 2 and l think it was on the ken bruce show

deadman77 05-04-2009 06:02 AM

Theres a variation on SNOPES.

Looks to be a BS story.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/dream/elvis.asp

MikeM

swordy 05-04-2009 07:04 AM

i read it was jus bull, like the hd he got for james dean!! just stories myths n legend, james dean rode a trumpet cause it was faster n handled better than a hd!

davidsdad 05-04-2009 08:42 AM

I heard of a Sporty that Elvis had signed on the bottom of the seat and this bike was later found..

xxxflhrci 05-04-2009 12:38 PM

Andy Griffith did a twist on the same B.S. story 40 years ago with Barney's police bike.

BLKnCHRME09Deluxe 05-04-2009 12:43 PM

i just recently seen a elvis bike on ebay goen for $55,000.00 + and it wasn't even his just a replica.

Cosmic Razorback 05-04-2009 12:46 PM

He did own a Harley as I can remember seeing the pictures. I listen to channel 13 on Sirus radio the "All Elvis" channel and they tell a lot of things like this but I have not heard your story before.

It would be COOL to own one of his old bikes. I bet they would pay top $$$ for it at Graceland.

DaddyKnuck 05-04-2009 12:53 PM

Elvis had a least 3 Harley's that I've seen him pictured on. Periodically a story pops up about some machine or other linked to him. Apparently he owned several hundred Harleys, quite a few Hondas, and a Sears garden tractor or two. :):):)

Eyeball Kid 05-04-2009 03:56 PM

The local dealership has one of Elvis' old bikes there.

http://cdn-9.psndealer.com/e2/dealer.../IMG_02372.JPG

http://www.southeastharley.com/custo...g=motorclothes

duoglider 05-04-2009 04:05 PM

Jay Leno was talking one night about being contacted by a guy from somewhere down South - (Georgia, Kentucky, or Tennessee) who claimed he had Elvis' Harley in a barn. He sent Jay photos and I think Leno ended up going down there to look at it. I recall he said there was something under the seat, or written on the bottom of the seat which would prove it was Elvis' bike...I can't remember if he bought it and brought it back to his garage in LA or not.

xxxflhrci 05-04-2009 04:36 PM

According to Snopes, Leno says that Elvis bike thing with him never happened:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/dream/elvis.asp

Butt Ugly 05-04-2009 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by duoglider (Post 4952899)
Jay Leno was talking one night about being contacted by a guy from somewhere down South - (Georgia, Kentucky, or Tennessee) who claimed he had Elvis' Harley in a barn. He sent Jay photos and I think Leno ended up going down there to look at it. I recall he said there was something under the seat, or written on the bottom of the seat which would prove it was Elvis' bike...I can't remember if he bought it and brought it back to his garage in LA or not.

Rossmeyer built Jay Leno an exact duplicate of Elvis bike. Jay Leno has pictures and video of it on his website. Search out "Jay Leno's Garage" and check it and a lot of other nifty motorcycles and cars out. Jay Leno is the real deal.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...tml?vid=187070

It isn't a easy website to surf, since there are commercials in front of the videos and all, but there are some very interesting bikes. I like the one of Jay punching the throttle on a Boss Hoss too.

petert1401 08-23-2009 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mudbugclub (Post 4950424)
Did anyone hear a story about a guy finding out he owned a Harley that had belonged to Elvis Presley? The story was that he found a note under the seat with a message from Johnny Cash?

A mate told me he heard about this on the radio, but I can't find any record of the story.

I heard this story only last night at a BBQ given by a friend of mine. The guy in question is apparently a friend of a friend of his. I have no real evidence that the story is true, but here's how it was told to me :-

The guy (let's call him Dave), owned a Harley that he'd had for a good while. One day the electrics failed on him and, being no mechanic, phoned his local (UK) Harley dealer for help. The dealer took the details of the bike (chassis number etc), looked it up and determined that the bike was American spec and he would have to order the parts in from the USA.

A week later Dave got a call from the USA (can't remember whether he said Harley dealer or head office) who asked him to reiterate the bike registration details. He was then asked if he'd ever looked under the seat and, after admitting he'd never lifted the seat, was given instructions on how to do so.

Under the seat was, reputedly, a gold plaque with the inscription "To Elvis, Happy 21st Birthday, Johnny Cash"

He was reportedly offered $3 million for it on the spot. I was not told whether he accepted or not. It very likely complete BS but I'll enquire further...

RAWHIDE07 08-23-2009 03:28 PM

E still rides!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxflhrci 08-23-2009 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by RAWHIDE07 (Post 5476349)
E still rides!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I saw him out for a ride today. Bigfoot was riding in the sidecar and Michael Jackson was riding on the back.

Red9 08-23-2009 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by petert1401 (Post 5476096)
I heard this story only last night at a BBQ given by a friend of mine. The guy in question is apparently a friend of a friend of his. I have no real evidence that the story is true, but here's how it was told to me :-

The guy (let's call him Dave), owned a Harley that he'd had for a good while. One day the electrics failed on him and, being no mechanic, phoned his local (UK) Harley dealer for help. The dealer took the details of the bike (chassis number etc), looked it up and determined that the bike was American spec and he would have to order the parts in from the USA.

A week later Dave got a call from the USA (can't remember whether he said Harley dealer or head office) who asked him to reiterate the bike registration details. He was then asked if he'd ever looked under the seat and, after admitting he'd never lifted the seat, was given instructions on how to do so.

Under the seat was, reputedly, a gold plaque with the inscription "To Elvis, Happy 21st Birthday, Johnny Cash"

He was reportedly offered $3 million for it on the spot. I was not told whether he accepted or not. It very likely complete BS but I'll enquire further...

lol
I have heard this story 100 times over the last 20 years.
Unbelievable what some people want to believe and will believe.
It's always a 'friend of a friend'...

Scooter68 08-23-2009 09:21 PM

Well if that's true I bet it's gotta whole lotta shakin going on.

truckerdave 08-24-2009 12:00 AM

How about the guy who kept Elvis's first guitar that came from Tupelo Hardware in a closet for 20 years. That's a strange story too long to type but i saw that on TV several years ago. Don't know what ever happened to it but i bet he got some good $$$ for that one.

piasspj 08-24-2009 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by petert1401 (Post 5476096)

I wouldn't believe it. Now, if the dealer had told him that it was going to cost a bundle to fix it and offered him a few thousand on trade in, I'd belive it.:icon_deal:

Tony P 08-24-2009 08:35 AM

Yes, it's true - I own Elvis' 2007 Super Glide...

hutch4 08-24-2009 07:19 PM

Elvis had at least three Harleys. There are three on display at Graceland. We were there last December and saw them.