General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley sells sound to Honda!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:47 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JBaker421

I "think" the sound is about having a single crank pin, and about both cylinders firing on the same revolution, a split second apart, and then both idling through the next revolution. That makes the engine sound almost as if it's missing - running rough - at idle.

Thus, the "potato potato" sound. ??

Originally Posted by Eyespy
Maybe you missed it, but I tried explaining that to you in another thread.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ml#post4893705
Pay attention Baker
OK, you said:

Originally Posted by Eyespy
If I understand what you are trying to say correctly, that's not quite right. With the 45 degree V-twin set up and both connecting rods sharing a single crank pin, the firing interval is like this: 1st cylinder fires, then there is 315 degrees of crank rotation for 2nd cylinder firing. Then 405 degrees of crank rotation before cylinder 1 fires again. Then cylinder 2 after 315 degrees, etc. This is what gives that "potato potato" sound at idle.
There are 360 degrees in a complete revolution, right? Please tell me how your explanation differs from mine, and how your explanation doesn't have both cylinders firing on the same revolution but some distance apart (a split second at running speed,) and idling through the next revolution? 315 degrees = same revolution. 405 degrees = more than one full revolution before it fires again??

What did we ever say which differed?

OK, I'm paying attention.

Last edited by JBaker421; 05-16-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:22 PM
capnhook
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
Japanese cruisers sell so little in comparison to H/D that it's almost an afterthought. That's why Suzuki doesn't even attempt to compete anymore. They just build there cheapo fugly looking bikes.

Yamaha is the only one that even TRIES anymore. And still, there sales are dismal in comparison to H/D.

Honda only cares about cars nowadays.

Harley is going to be in BIG trouble in a few years. Young guys for the most part don't like H/D's. It's us old guys that still know what a deuce coupe is that really like 'em.....and we are getting old quickly.

~Joe

Of the ten guys I ride with from time to time, the five that are younger than me ride sporty's, the one the same age rides a sporty, the four older than me 1 rides a Harley bagger, 1 rides a Honda Magna, 1 rides a V-star, and 1 rides a Kawasaki V-twin .

I am 30 and ride a sporty.

I guess I don't understand the consensus that young guys don't like harley's, it is not what I see.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:12 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't know about any of that, but... I was on a run today, riding behind a metric cruiser. After about 10 miles, the sound of that bike really started to annoy me for some reason. I started wondering things like - if you want a damn Harley, then buy a damn Harley, not some half assed imitation.

I'd buy a metric sport bike in a minute, but... if I want a V-Twin cruiser, there is really only one choice, eh?

Then again... talked to a guy who had a very nice metric V-twin cruiser... he bought it as it was, for $3,000. ... so, maybe some people want a Harley, can't afford it, buy the cheaper imitation.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
riding behind a metric cruiser. After about 10 miles, the sound of that bike really started to annoy me.
No ****... I'm with ya on that one. Still yet to hear a metric cruiser with 'pipes' that sound good. At least most of the metric guys I ride with realize this and keep their exhaust sounding good - quiet...

Old 05-16-2009, 09:58 PM
ronny c.
Tourer

i have a friend that works for a japanese company for 20 years and goes to japan a couple times a year and understands their culture. he tells me in japan individual thought, getting out of the norm , or being original, is unacceptable. they proudley and purposely copy h. d. and dont deny it. they rip off everybody from h.d. to whirlpool, to r.c.a. on purpose. the main reason i hear people say they buy metric over h.d. is because they think the a.m.f. years are still in affect.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:50 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Actually, Harleys, especially old ones are all the rage over there.

~Joe

Old 05-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Originally Posted by JBaker421
OK, you said:

There are 360 degrees in a complete revolution, right? Please tell me how your explanation differs from mine, and how your explanation doesn't have both cylinders firing on the same revolution but some distance apart (a split second at running speed,) and idling through the next revolution? 315 degrees = same revolution. 405 degrees = more than one full revolution before it fires again??

What did we ever say which differed?

OK, I'm paying attention.
Let me get this straight.....you seriously don't see the difference?

Old 05-16-2009, 11:48 PM
sparky1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have couple of nephews in their early 20,s that are getting out of crotch rockets and going into HD's,Harley is far from dead believe me,there'll be much more new riders beside us old farts.LOL.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Originally Posted by sparky1
I have couple of nephews in their early 20,s that are getting out of crotch rockets and going into HD's,Harley is far from dead believe me,there'll be much more new riders beside us old farts.LOL.
Not to mention lots of us old timers have kids to pass the torch on to.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want that "Harley sound" on a Harley built after 1985, you'll have to put a set of Bub or Vance & Hines pipes on it.

Quick Reply: Harley sells sound to Honda!