General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing enclosed trailer (need advice)

Old 11-28-2008, 03:54 PM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Purchasing enclosed trailer (need advice)

I am planning on purchasing an enclosed trailer this winter. I need to know, will I be able to fit two Fatboys side by side in a 6X12 or 6X10 trailer? I am not sure if I will need a 7 foot wide trailer. And yes I know I shouldn't be trailering but sometimes I need to trailer it to the south so it's warm enough to ride during winter months. Thanks for all your help

Old 11-28-2008, 04:07 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I would want at least the 7'. You have to get in there with them to load and unload and tie down. Wheel chocks will keep them upright.

Some Harleys, especially with engine guards, are wider than 3'.

$.02

Old 11-28-2008, 04:11 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't own a trailer but I would think a 6 foot wide trailer would be ok but tight side to side for two bikes, especially if they were baggers.

Obviously, the 7 footer would give you more wiggle room and it sounds like you're going to be using it so if it were me and you could afford it, I'd go for the 7 footer.

Just my thoughts,

Krusr

Old 11-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

When comes to trailering your scoots, wider is better.

Besides, you'll want to carry other stuff like tools and whatever.

12 x 7 minimum - 16 x 7 better.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:18 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found out that a bigger trailer is a lot better then having one that is too small for your needs.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:25 PM
AtlRKC
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to sell trailers so I think I can offer some good advice. First your tow vehicle may limit you somewhat. A 7' wise trailer is pretty big for some vehicles and some people. I recommend a 6x12 set up with the bikes in staggered formation. First bike goes on left near front. Second on right near rear. That allows for more room to manuever around to tie down, helps on weight distribution and leaves room near side door for extras. I would also recommend a V-Nose as they are much more aerodynamic and have more room in front. Keep in mind a 6x15 V-Nose is the same overall size as a 6x12. Go with a torsion axle for ride and durability. Do not skimp on the quality of the trailer or tie downs. The difference between cheap & barely adequate and quality & durability is not much especially when you consider the value of the cargo unless you have a couple of cheap Fat Boys which I don't think you do. Look for little things like 16" floor crossmembers, 3/4" plywood floor, plywood walls and radial tires. All contribute to a secure, safe tow

Old 11-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

What a well presented reply, You rock AtlRKC.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:39 PM
tbrenan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is one unexpected bonus with a trailer, ------ is that in the off season there is storage for all and I do mean all---gear and misc bike stuff that is cluttering up the house or garage.

We have a total of 8 riding jackets 3 vests, 2 rainsuits, 4 pairs of boots, 5 helmets, chaps and leather pants we are always falling over bits and pieces.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:05 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlRKC
I used to sell trailers so I think I can offer some good advice. First your tow vehicle may limit you somewhat. A 7' wise trailer is pretty big for some vehicles and some people. I recommend a 6x12 set up with the bikes in staggered formation. First bike goes on left near front. Second on right near rear. That allows for more room to manuever around to tie down, helps on weight distribution and leaves room near side door for extras. I would also recommend a V-Nose as they are much more aerodynamic and have more room in front. Keep in mind a 6x15 V-Nose is the same overall size as a 6x12. Go with a torsion axle for ride and durability. Do not skimp on the quality of the trailer or tie downs. The difference between cheap & barely adequate and quality & durability is not much especially when you consider the value of the cargo unless you have a couple of cheap Fat Boys which I don't think you do. Look for little things like 16" floor crossmembers, 3/4" plywood floor, plywood walls and radial tires. All contribute to a secure, safe tow
+1, good advice. On the other hand if you can afford more and tow more you might wanna look at an even bigger trailer, you can never have too much storage room. My buddy has a 53' gooseneck just for his dirt track car, lots of extra room, but when we go out of town we can camp inside of the trailer, just like if we were at home.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:40 PM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

AtlRKC, Thanks a million for the advice. I am taking everyone's advice into consideration. However, AtkRKC's advice makes the most sense to me. I agree that bigger is better for the storage and a little wiggle room, however wallet says differently. I was looking at the 6X12's and liked a lot of them, just wanted to know if 2 bikes would fit. It seems like the would, especially if they were staggered and maybe the front bike facing forward and the rear bike facing backwards. Both bikes would have chocks for the front tires. As far as carrying extra stuff, I think I would have plenty of room left in front of one bike and behind the other. Not to mention in the truck. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purchasing enclosed trailer (need advice)