General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain Gear Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:52 PM
leewon1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain Gear Advice

Well I finally got my bike now I am working on getting the essentials specifically rain gear. I am planing on riding back and forth to work daily, 30 miles one way, and it is inevitable that the day will come when it is nice when I leave but the weather will go south some time during the day.

I am wondering what gear is good and would fit in one of my bags just in case. This being my first set of rain gear I am also looking for something that is reasonable for the time being, what can I say, I just spent most my current funds on the bike. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:17 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

my hunting gear is Gore-Tex, best I have seen for water Proof...So I would say anything that got it will work great...

Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Check out the Harley rain gear. It really works.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:30 PM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I have Frog Togs. Easy to pack and they work great. Just don't put them in the dryer. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:37 PM
RCB
Road Warrior

Anything with Gore-Tex. As their advertisement says GUARANTEED to keep you dry. You might pay alittle more upfront but 'YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR' As stated earlier hunting gear works well for me also.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:43 PM
jimmie d wad
Tourer

30 miles you should be able to get by with your leather.put a good sealer on it.rode like that for years that being said.i have hd rain gear now.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:52 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frogg Toggs...for the price there is nothing better. Like previous poster stated do not put in dryer..air dry only. I have a set I bought over 10 years ago and with very little care they are still almost like new.

leewon1
6th Gear

If figure for the time being I will be aright watching the weather and all but its one of those things I just want to error on the safe side. I need to check out the HD gear when I get a chance to get to the dealers the compare it to others.

One concern I have with all of this stuff is how does it do with the heat coming off the bike? I assume that the HD gear should be fine but what about other types?

cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

I really like my HD ones. Had bought a cheaper no name brand off the internet and was like a freakin clown suit. spend a little more and enjoy the rain.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 PM
dinahmoedave
Advanced

you can mink oil all your leather and you should anyway, it will hold for a long time (dont forget your boots and gloves). I use my Grundens its a heavy coated rubber with no liner to speak of for local driving,the commercial fisherman use them, 2 pieces, overalls and jacket with hood, but its heavy (weight wise) and heavy duty. I tuck the hood under neath and use a hand towel rolled up in front to keep the water from going down the collar in front. For longer trips and somthing less bulky you will have to buy some higher priced stuff. Just remember if it flaps in the wind it wont last long so get stuff with closures and straps, velcro etc. The Gore tex stuff works great but all i have is US Army stuff in camo but it is the best as it also will keep you warm when its cold and breathes when its hot and it packs up pretty tight. I also use slip over rubber galloshes type things if its going to be a long ride in a heavy rain. put small plastic bags over your boots first and they will slip right on over the boots. hell i used trash bags as rain gear a couple of times! Alot depends on your storage, saddle bags etc. Ride on!

Quick Reply: Rain Gear Advice