General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm so mad at my dealer!!!!!!!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:12 PM
HarleyDawg
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry I'm so mad at my dealer!!!!!!!

Two years ago I had my 2007 Ultra 1000 mile service done by my local dealer and they changed all fluids to Syn 3. I've change the crankcase and transmission fluids one time since myself. Today I drained all of the fluids and this was the first time for me to do the primary. I noticed that the dealer used some kind of white thread locking compound on all of the drain plugs which was difficult to clean off. Well wouldnt you know it the screws on the derby cover had this same crap on them also and this is where my trouble begins. I used a T27 bit as the service manual called for. I was able to get only one screw out and ended up stripping the heads on the other four. I tried to use a easy out to get the remaining ones out but was unable to do so because of the white crap has hardend and will not allow them to break free. I've ended up removing the primary cover and will be in their face at 9 AM Saturday when they open. I took this weekend off to go on a ride at 10 AM Saturday which I will not be able to make now.

This is one reason a dealer will never touch my bike again for anything and if I need to have something worked on that I can't handle, I will use a indy for. Does anyone have any suggestions if the dealer will not do anything for me on this issue?

Old 05-29-2009, 11:21 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the touble man, but I have posted on here several times that I have learned to NEVER start any work or have any service done the day or two before a trip. I always do it at least a week in advance in hopes to avoid any trouble I might encounter.

Hopefully they can get those out for you.

One more thing I will add in regards to the torx (sp) tools. I ended up buying 2 sets, not the same brand. One set seems to be a tiny tiny tiny bit loser than the other brand. What I mean is, one brand fits nice and tight, while the other brand of the same size seem to be a fraction of an inch smaller and doens't fit in the head real tight. In this case, the tighter the better. I also bought a hardended set that fits tight just to make sure I don't round off the tool.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:22 PM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GL..I and I'm sure alot of folks can tell you a story or two..I have had my share of problems,IE scratch my bike,twice,1/2 qt of primary fliud.the answer to that one was"normal noise"...so I would just spread the word to your buds.and don't go back for service..oh yeah I would tell them...02 cents

Old 05-29-2009, 11:25 PM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

hope the make it right by you but I doubt they will. let us know one way or the other.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:33 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Tom from http://harleygoodies.com/ here. Many people have had their issues with the dealers. I have had my own situations. I prefer to do my own work if I have the time and resources. This is not an "I told you so" post, merely how I do things.

I will not even mention the dealer I have had issues with as I consider that quite unethical. I am sure there are plenty of people who have not had problems. All I can share are my own personal experiences, as they make up who I am.

Respectfully,

Tom
Harley Goodies

Old 05-29-2009, 11:34 PM
08blacksporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the same problem with a upper fork brace bolt. Whatever their putting on those bolts will definatly holdem.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:53 AM
Slackerzinc
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Two years ago I had my 2007 Ultra 1000 mile service done by my local dealer and they changed all fluids to Syn 3. I've change the crankcase and transmission fluids one time since myself. Today I drained all of the fluids and this was the first time for me to do the primary. I noticed that the dealer used some kind of white thread locking compound on all of the drain plugs which was difficult to clean off. Well wouldnt you know it the screws on the derby cover had this same crap on them also and this is where my trouble begins. I used a T27 bit as the service manual called for. I was able to get only one screw out and ended up stripping the heads on the other four. I tried to use a easy out to get the remaining ones out but was unable to do so because of the white crap has hardend and will not allow them to break free. I've ended up removing the primary cover and will be in their face at 9 AM Saturday when they open. I took this weekend off to go on a ride at 10 AM Saturday which I will not be able to make now.

This is one reason a dealer will never touch my bike again for anything and if I need to have something worked on that I can't handle, I will use a indy for. Does anyone have any suggestions if the dealer will not do anything for me on this issue?
Well I wasnt going to reply to this.. BUT your troubles are not with your dealer.. They did nothing wrong. That white stuff is PST liquid teflon, it stops the drain plugs from seeping oil of them and having you complain about the oil spots. Its not a thread locking compound.. Any time I have ever taken the derby cover off a bike the bolts are stuck, they allways are!! I have taken alot off (Harley tech 12 years) some natural reaction between metals, heat etc.. YOU and I repeat this YOU stripped the bolts due to lack of abilty, your T27 torx bit wasn't in the fastener correctly and it stripped.. So you should be mad at yourself for screwing up your primary and not making the run..

Old 05-30-2009, 07:48 AM
spooner
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Gotta somewhat agree with Slackerzinc. I always use a white Teflon paste on my bolts when I do oil changes and services on my bikes. It's extra insurance that nothing leaks plus I believe that it keeps fine sand and crap out of the threads. While it will harden over time, I do not think that it prevents removal of the bolt later.
However, it is quite possible that the dealer tech that did the last service over tightened the derby cover screws. Mine were too tight from the factory, when I did my first service on my Deluxe, I had to get a new Torx socket to get the bolts out. I usually use a Torx socket on a wrench to remove the derby cover screws, but use a small Torx wrench (like an Allen wrench) to put them back. It keeps me from overtightening them.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:53 AM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 09 SG derby cover screws 2 will not come loose i will have to drill them. They seem to always be hard to get out

Old 05-30-2009, 08:15 AM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slackerzinc
Well I wasnt going to reply to this.. BUT your troubles are not with your dealer.. They did nothing wrong. That white stuff is PST liquid teflon, it stops the drain plugs from seeping oil of them and having you complain about the oil spots. Its not a thread locking compound.. Any time I have ever taken the derby cover off a bike the bolts are stuck, they allways are!! I have taken alot off (Harley tech 12 years) some natural reaction between metals, heat etc.. YOU and I repeat this YOU stripped the bolts due to lack of abilty, your T27 torx bit wasn't in the fastener correctly and it stripped.. So you should be mad at yourself for screwing up your primary and not making the run..
I am calling you on this one. He is referring to the screws that hold the derby cover on, not the drain plug. There is absolutely no reason for liquid teflon on those screws. The service manual does not call for it either. It calls for replacing the RUBBER SEALING WASHERS! If you replace the rubber washers the cover will not leak. Now if you wanted to put a dab of blue loctite on that doesn't harden to prevent the screws from loosening that would be acceptable, but to put a hardening agent on there is NOT proper procedure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm so mad at my dealer!!!!!!!