General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF RiderCoach training complete!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 04:16 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts
Default MSF RiderCoach training complete!

Finished up the 8 day RiderCoach training course today. Now to start actually teaching! Just what I needed, another part time job!

Old 06-07-2009, 05:03 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats >>> At least your doing something you like.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:56 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Remains to be seen of I'll like it or not! I like bikes and love to ride, but I've always hated public speaking. My entire motivation is to conquer my fear of public speaking by teaching strangers about something I enjoy. If I can't do THIS, I'm going to throw in the towel forever! LOL

Old 06-07-2009, 08:47 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just completed ERC today...rider coach was great! My hats off to you for completing that course...takes a lot of skills, knowledge and experience!

Old 06-07-2009, 08:59 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by kromdom
just completed ERC today...rider coach was great! My hats off to you for completing that course...takes a lot of skills, knowledge and experience!
I've never actually take the ERC course but it's on my list of things to do, especially since I'm now able to teach it!

I was messing around on the course over lunch hour one day and was able to do the 20 foot U-turn box easily on my Ultra. Easier, in fact, than I could do it on the trainer bikes (Honda Rebels and Nighthawks). Gotta love HD touring bikes!

Old 06-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20 ft U turn on Ulra is great in my book. My wife and I practice all the time at the local high school. I passed the ERC last summer and she is trying it on the 27th of June.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:22 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stro1965
I've never actually take the ERC course but it's on my list of things to do, especially since I'm now able to teach it!

I was messing around on the course over lunch hour one day and was able to do the 20 foot U-turn box easily on my Ultra. Easier, in fact, than I could do it on the trainer bikes (Honda Rebels and Nighthawks). Gotta love HD touring bikes!
I hear that! I got my wife a GZ 250 to learn on, little sucker handles a bit different than the UC. I have to stick my knees way out to turn that lil bugger! Congrats stro.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:00 PM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

I resurrected this 2009 thread to say that I'm student teaching May 2014 as a MSF RiderCoach in Maryland. Instructor Prep training is some of the most mentally rigorous training I've gone through--and I've been through Marine boot camp at Parris Island and graduate school at Hopkins...

What makes it tough is not only the high standards of perfection that is expected, but the awareness that I'll have the safety of 12 newbies on my hands...and I take that responsibility seriously. We started with 10 and are down to 8 with a few questioning whether they'll pass.

Whether you like the MSF BRC or not, there's no denying that the instructors go through some serious training to make the cut. I REALLY underestimated the skills needed to be good in the classroom and on the range.

So if there are any other Rider Coaches out there to offer up some advice--I'm open to it.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:07 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you train with the old curriculum or the new with the slides and the new BRC book? We just got the new book in the mail, along with the DVD and lots of "not to happy" here with constant changes going on here in the last 24 months or so.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DDuess
Did you train with the old curriculum or the new with the slides and the new BRC book? We just got the new book in the mail, along with the DVD and lots of "not to happy" here with constant changes going on here in the last 24 months or so.
We began in the old book and then shifted into the new book and lesson format half way through around training day 4. I like the new book and format better, but could see how change for the veterans would be difficult.

Quick Reply: MSF RiderCoach training complete!