General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question - What is an FXR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Jovimon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie question - What is an FXR?

The 1975 bike is a FXE. Had one long ago...

Old 05-17-2006, 12:26 AM
Snobal
Tourer

What is an FXR? The best bike HD ever made!

I got a '91 FXRS-Con the summer of '90 (one of the first ones off the truck) - the dealer said, "If you have any problems with it, bring it back, it has a warranty." Never needed the warranty. Ten years and 60K+ miles later, I screwed up and traded it for a twin-cam (but got more $ when I sold it than I paid for it in 1990).

The FXRS-Con was a convertable model: quick disconnect windshield and saddle bags. With windshield and bags, it was a great touring bike.

Neat features:

- It ran great! If you ran at the speed limit (55 mph at that time) the bike got well over 50 MPG (typically 55 to 56 MPG).

- The oil tank had a "view window" so you could see if you needed oil - did not need a dip stick. The oil filter was under the bike, well protected, and came out like a car filter -- NO MESS!

- The seat flipped up for access to the oil tank & battery - no screws to remove and instant access.

- Rubber mounted engine - was smooth as a "flying carpet" between 50 mph and 70 mph.

- Most folks I knew got over 100K before thay had to do any engine work.

- The frame was lite weight and I was told it was "hand made" --- and too costly for HD to continue making. They went to the Dyna with heavy, robot made frames, (and lost the smooth ride!)

Design problems:

- The base gaskets started seeping oil after about 50K miles - but a cheap, no-brainer to replace.

- Alternator plug could work loose - a simple spring clip solved that problem

Mine cost about $10K new in '90. When they offered the limited edition models after the FXR was replaced by the FXDs, the FXRs were about $20K --- and worth it!

JMHO

Old 05-18-2006, 01:00 PM
JJJL
6th Gear

Thanks for all of the responses and the history lessons on the FXR! What a great knowledge base. I'll keep asking and learning. Thanks again!