General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on my first GPS Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Steinhoff
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on my first GPS Purchase

I am planning to buy my first GPS. I have been comparison shopping for a while and found a few sites that seem to be doing a good job with pricing and customer service. I am still confused and undecided as to what to buy with all the various options. The folks at getfeetwet.com (quite helpful) have suggested the Garmin NUVI or 2820. I also saw that they had a factory refurbished Garmin 2610 unit for half the price. Any thoughts on these units? I like the price of the 2610 factory refurbished but I am not sure what I am giving up? Garmin gives 1 yr warranty on the refurb and looks like getfeetwet adds a 2nd yr to that. I was assured that they are as good as new. Has anybody purchased a Garmin Refurb?

Old 05-16-2006, 05:12 PM
Steinhoff
2nd Gear
Default RE: Need help on my first GPS Purchase

Sorry that was not too clear here it is again

I am planning to buy my first GPS. I have been comparison shopping for a while and found a few sites that seem to be doing a good job with pricing and customer service. I am still confused and undecided as to what to buy with all the various options. The folks at getfeetwet.com (quite helpful) have suggested the Garmin NUVI or 2820. I also saw that they had a factory refurbished Garmin 2610 unit for half the price. Any thoughts on these units? I like the price of the 2610 factory refurbished but I am not sure what I am giving up? Garmin gives 1 yr warranty on the refurb and looks like getfeetwet adds a 2nd yr to that. I was assured that they are as good as new. Has anybody purchased a Garmin Refurb?

Old 05-16-2006, 05:18 PM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not familiar with these models but I would say If it says Garmin it is a quality unit. I have flown with Garmin GPS for years and have used them on my boat. Very easy to use and very capable. Visit the Garmin web site and check the specs on these units. The last time I was there you could download owners manuals. After that, how much do you want to spend?

Old 05-16-2006, 05:37 PM
The HalfBreed
Road Master

I have the Garmin 2610 Unit. It's hooked up with my audio system, so it mutes the music, speaks directions, then puts music back on. (I love that part, but that's an add-on from another company). I purchased mine from http://www.gpscity.com/

The 2620, and others that use Hard Drives are not well suited for motorcycles (check with manufacturer). The 2620, and quite possibly, some other hard drive units come with the software already on the unit. I like my 2610 since the software comes on a disk which I can load onto my PC.

I believe (you may want to double check on this) the units with a Hard Drive you may have to plan your trips using the GSP unit. I like being able to update my computer with the newest info via a download on the internet. I can plan out my routes, etc on my PC at night, without having to enter all that info into a GPS unit with a small screen. After I figure it all out on the PC, I can download it all to my 2610 and go from there.

The point of view, IMHO, is better on the newer units, but I still love my 2610. I put a 2 Gig CF card into the 2610, and put the entire United States on that card. Only took about 1.5 Gigs for that. No moving parts like a hard drive that can possibly fail either. Check and see if you get computer software with the unit. That should tell you alot. City Navigator Ver. 7 or 8 is the latest version out.

If I ever have to replace my 2610, I want one that comes with the software for my PC, so I can plan my trips comfortably.

And oh yea, it's waterproof.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:40 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is quite interesting that I asked the very same question in the Road Trips sections and received no replies. Now I know that Garman in the brand, just have to find the right model.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:53 PM
Big Charley
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Garmin Streetpilot and really like it. Try CycleGadgets.com. they know their stuff about electronics. Big Charley

Old 05-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Thomas
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have friends that have them not much good when you get on the
back roads a quarter of the streets are not on the gps. Good old map works just fine.
All roads lead to another so if you are like me who cares when you get there as long as you get there.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Big Charley
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to add it's a model 2720. You can plan your trip on the GPS its self or from your computer, all the software comes with it. If this ole dirt farmer can figger it out any one can. Big Charley

Old 05-16-2006, 07:36 PM
spartns
Road Master

I've got the Garmin C330 street Pilot. I use it on the bike and in the car. Works great.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:02 PM
HDUC1
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a refurbised 2610 and have been using it for about a year. It works great and I use it in the cage. I also bought a 2-gig CF card to download detailed maps of the entire US. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a GPS.

Quick Reply: Need help on my first GPS Purchase