Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet head itch, any ideas?

Old 08-17-2009, 12:15 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11 View Post
I have an UnderArmor nylon skull cap the also work great. Got it at Sports Authority.
Agreed, I had the same problem...Bought one of the nylon caps and presto no more itch.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:52 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

man i just knew someone would have an answer to this problem that's been driving me nuts. as i'm riding, itchy head i can't help but remember the south park episode where all the kids got head lice, and that vision doesn't help any when the scalp is itching like crazy under the helmet. i think i'm gonna be trying to find one of those under armor nylon skull caps. my ex wife, now referred to as the X-Box, would have probably suggested a plastic bag over my head with a rubber band around the neck. thanks guys, i do appreciate the advice, and it will be well taken, now maybe i can get some serious riding in, as fall is the prime riding season down here.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:06 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorUltra View Post
I read you were worried aout using different kinds of powder on your head but the advice on using the corn starch is right on. As an old army medic, I wouldn't recommend any kind of medicated or perfumed powder but the corn starch has relieved many problems related to itching in my experience. To avoid using to much and ending up with the glue effect, take a clean, cotton hanky that has been laudered without any kind of softner and place a small amount of the corn starch in the middle...gather all the edges up until you have a tight ball of the powder in the middle of the hanky. Then, secure using twist tie/rubber band, etc and lightly pat the area with powder-puff. Leaves a very light coating that will not gum up FWIW
+1 .....works good on your nether region too, may want to have seperate bags though! LOL

Old 08-17-2009, 01:10 PM
rscalzo
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A helmet liner solved it for me. They also keep the interior of the helmet clean.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:12 PM
lockshop
Senior Rider

I use a Underarmor summer heat skull type cap.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:13 PM
pab
Senior Rider

My wife went through this with 1/2 & 3/4 helmets, in both hot and cold conditions, and trying just about every known over-the-counter shampoo, some of them very well known and expensive. She finally went to a dermatologist. Found out she was having a reaction to over-the-counter shampoos, even the high end ones that were supposed to combat itching. The Dr. gave her a prescription for a shampoo that helped, but what really helped the most was a prescription for a cream she applies to her scalp about 20-30 minutes before we put on our helmets. No more itch, and nomore bit....

Old 08-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Oldandslow
One Of The Regulars

I asked my dermatologist about my itching skin, especially my scalp, and she told me to buy and use Dove soap. So now, I wash my hair with Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp and then go over my hair with Dove soap (plain bar soap). No more itchy skin or scalp. It works wonders.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:19 PM
DrPlastic
Supporter
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by deltasnook View Post
Try Frontline or Advantage.
Would that be the drops or the collar type??

LoL!

Old 08-17-2009, 05:48 PM
NFFN
Banned
Old 08-17-2009, 05:49 PM
NFFN
Banned

Just kidding.....

If you can remove the helmet liner, take it out and clean it. If you can not you may want to have the helmet relined with a better quality fabric.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Helmet head itch, any ideas?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: