Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   PA Inspection Motorcycle Rip-off (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/387937-pa-inspection-motorcycle-rip-off.html)

jaysonL 08-20-2009 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by rscalzo (Post 5459927)
I don't know where you came up with that but overdue inspections is the perfect pc for a mv stop. MC stickers are not as visible as a car but it still gives the reason for a total review of the paperwork down to equipment.

NH limits mc inspections from June and a few months beyond although the owner is free to have them done almost any time. We do tend to get some snow from time to time. Cost is around $25 to $30. However registration is on the high side.

Inspections are not necessarily the idea of the state. Federal funding can be determined by the state's emission testing program if I'm not mistaken.

I've been at gas stations and had cops come up to me and admire the bike and speak casually to me never once mentioning the 3 month old out of date sticker. I ride with guys who have stickers that are 8 years old. I "came up with this" from real world experience. :icon_confused:

Dutch110 08-20-2009 10:08 AM

Welcome to PA. I was behind a guy yesterday at a stop light who had cords showing all the way around his rear tire. I hate the inspections as well but some people need to be protected from themselves. I got hit with the same dealio having bought my bike in December the inspection was due in July. New bikes should be exempt for a year IMO.

run2bfit 08-20-2009 11:04 AM

2 or 3 years ago...

PA-DOT changed the months you could have your motorcycle inspected. If it was due in the cold and snowy months, it would not be likely that you could get to an inspection station.

Dave

donna.1965 08-20-2009 11:29 AM

Arizona did the same thing to me. Here in the Valley of the Sun, it couldn't be because of the snow factor. That may be the case in the mountains.

Anyway, I bought the bike used in April, and took it to get inspected, and they put a sticker on it for September. The excuse was that the original one expired in September, so they want to keep it on a Sept - Sept schedule. OH, PLEASE!! It only cost me like $12, but like you said, it's not the money, but the principle of the thing.

Geezr Glidr 08-20-2009 12:48 PM

Mine's due in April also, and I never had a problem. Costs me $18.01 and I'm good for a year. Maybe it's a red-tape thing that always happens to somebody else, but you just happened to be the somebody else on this one.

warthawg 08-20-2009 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr (Post 5461731)
Mine's due in April also, and I never had a problem. Costs me $18.01 and I'm good for a year. Maybe it's a red-tape thing that always happens to somebody else, but you just happened to be the somebody else on this one.

Interesting, according to the chart on PennDOTs website for Motorcycle Inspection Expirations your inspection should expire in October. Once you have it done again in October you are on a yearly expiration.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ons/Chart4.pdf

DannyZ71 08-20-2009 01:55 PM

I'm so glad Oklahoma doesn't do inspections any more. Nothing uglier than that stupid sticker on the fork tube.

CWDoc115 08-20-2009 01:56 PM

You're just getting to know PA.... I moved outa there after finding out that the town I live in had an "Occupation Privilege Tax" on top of all the other taxes we paid!
When I checked it out, I was told the tax was there because it was a privilege to live in that town. :icon_doh:

Get outa there as soon as you can! :icon_couchhide:

Splatter 08-21-2009 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by warthawg (Post 5460702)
It's not about the money, it's the principle that I paid for a year, I should get a year.

You didn't pay for a year, you paid for an inspection.

Massachusetts has the same thing: all bike inspections expire on the same day (May 31st.) We have the added joy that all bike registrations expire on the same day, too (Dec 31st.)

logdon17 08-21-2009 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by DPFhd883 (Post 5457439)
Haha. Welcome to PA. I will tell you this though, I ride with at least four others whos bikes have been out of inspection for who knows how long and have never gotten heat for it, at least in my area, a few miles south of Pittsburgh.

I agree, I am too lazy to put my stock pipes back on (i run drags with no baffles) to pass inspection so I will take my chances. I figure I have a valid license, registration, and insurance.