General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD helmets good quality or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:03 PM
mibaman
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD helmets good quality or not?

Looking to get a FF helmet this year and gonna check out the dealer to see what they have. I am not gonna spend $700 on a Shoei, but wondering about the overall quality of all the HD models.

I get 20% off, but don't want a junk lid with a $150 HD sticker on it.

Thanks
AK

Old 03-05-2011, 10:11 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

The quality is about the same as non HD helmets, the only difference is you paying for the HD trademark IMHO.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:15 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its DOT approved, I have a HD 1/2 helmet and enjoy it...

Old 03-05-2011, 10:19 PM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most are made by HJC or KBC.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:42 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mibaman
Looking to get a FF helmet this year and gonna check out the dealer to see what they have. I am not gonna spend $700 on a Shoei, but wondering about the overall quality of all the HD models.

I get 20% off, but don't want a junk lid with a $150 HD sticker on it.

Thanks
AK
You don't need to spend $700 to buy a excellent Shoei helmet. Try going to www.revzilla.com and check out what's available. Good prices and great customer service. The Shoei Qwest has been rated as one of their best lids and also has a great price. A little over $300 as I recall.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Holzarbeiter
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at Nolan, Shoei, Shark etc... Better helmets, better price and often quieter. Should you opt for a modular, pay close attention to the locking mechanism.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:55 PM
astark
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Take a look at the Harley Davidson FXRG full face helmets, top of the line protection and very light weight in part due to carbon kevlar construction, with a very plush interior. When the wife and I wear a full face helmet, that is what we wear.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

I got mine for two hundred bucks on eBay and hers was a few bucks more. Stop by your dealership to find the perfect snug fit size and then watch for a deal on line.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:11 PM
blkdimon8
Tourer

I got this same helmet for $60.00 new at a Dallas Ft Worth, TX dealership on my way to El Paso from Ky, it was on sale. I thought someone had made a mistake when they were tagging the prices on the box. Brought the box to the register and they scanned it for 60 bucks. Girl at the register opened it up and said thats a great price, I agreed and walked out with the helmet.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:55 AM
Hrdhtdvr
Advanced

I have a 1/2 helmet, and a modular helmet. Both from Harley. The 1/2 was made by KBC, and I have only had minor problems. (The snap and tab on the strap and D ring broke) The modular helmet was made by Fulmar, and I like it. I find it to be a bit loud, but don't have anything to judge it against. I just wear ear plugs. TT&L on the modular, was just over 200.00 bucks, out the door. I like the modular design because you can flip up the chin bar and actually talk to someone.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:17 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Holzarbeiter
Look at Nolan, Shoei, Shark etc... Better helmets, better price and often quieter. Should you opt for a modular, pay close attention to the locking mechanism.
Exactly. Many I looked at had plastic in the locking mechanism. Thankfully I noticed it and spent the extra money for one with the better mechanism.

As many said the harley helmets are made by quality manufacturers. If possible go to a store with a wide range of helmets so you can compare. I found many that fit better and were less expensive than the harley helmets.

I got my HJC symax for about $200 a comparable helmet at the harley dealer was still more even with 20% off.

Quick Reply: HD helmets good quality or not?