Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Road tech blue tooth 2.0 headset (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/389830-road-tech-blue-tooth-2-0-headset.html)

rearnold 08-21-2009 06:23 PM

Road tech blue tooth 2.0 headset

Anyone use this type headset with Zumo550 and WHAT WAS YOUR OUT COME?

The add in Harley HOG book has the following write up:

For those that want wireless this accessory delivers high quality stereo sound from an MP3 player, zumo gps and compatible cell phones, it works with all helmet styles for hassle-free, wireless audio.

List for $200 and comes with 2 sets P/N 98272-09VM.
BoB

firefighter3666 08-21-2009 07:46 PM

I have not used this setup, but my foray into Bluetooth on the bike had less than acceptable results. If you take the jump, let us know how it works.

1953riderforlife 08-21-2009 07:49 PM

There is so much out there for GPS and communications technology I am completely lost and have no idea what to get. I would love to have a good GPS that will work through my speakers and a good headset that I can use for the GPS and communication with my wife on back. Too many choices.

jimsmith94 08-21-2009 10:25 PM

In case you don't know, Bluetooth on the Zumo 550 is mono. However, the 660's Bluetooth is stereo.

houndawgg 08-21-2009 10:28 PM

Found this on the web:

Title: Re: 98272-09VM Harley's NEW Bluetooth Module I tested it!
Post by: 2Phat on April 06, 2009, 04:43:29 PM Ok - I received my Road Tech Bluetooth Helmet Headset and also the adapter about 10 days ago, and had time to test it thoroughly.
What I wanted to achieve:
1) Connect iPhone to Zumo 550 via Bluetooth
2) Connect Helmet headset to Zumo (as Headset) via Bluetooth
3) Use the Bluetooth adapter on the audio out on the Zumo for STEREO music playback
4) I do not need intercom function - the headset also does not provide this.

I installed it in an Arai Profile helmet - was dead easy!!!
I initially hard a hard time to get everything paired, but found a sequence that worked:

1) Pair Zumo 550 and iPhone
2) Pair Zumo 550 to Helmet headset as per Headset instructions
3) Pair Bluetooth Adapter to Helmet headset without powering it off

When you switch on do it in sequence again:
1) Switch iPhone on
2) Switch Zumo 550 on IMPORTANT - wait until it has succesfully connected to the iphone.
3) Switch Headset on IMPORTANT - wait until the Zumo reports that it the connection is succesful
4) Switch the Bluetooth adapter on

What I have - I can play stereo music from the Zumo 550 (via the bluetooth adapter) at very good quality - Good volume control and enough level to listen to at 100mph. The sound quality when going through the Stereo Bluetooth adapter is MUCH better than using the built (mono - low quality) in bluetooth in the Zumo to stream audio.
When the phone rings, the music mutes and I can have a clear conversation NOT AT 100MPH!!!!!
I use the Zumo's controls to dial out, as I have no intention to try and initiate calls while on the move, as a matter of fact, I normally slow down or stop if I can when taking a call - its just nice to not have to take your gloves & helmet off when you have to take a call - It will give me many more "stolen" hours on the bike.

I am very happy with the system - the sound quality is not as good as on my old hardwired BAEHR Verso XL, but it is more than adequate and the compromise is worth it for not having to tangle with wires.

Hope this provides some clarity to potential buyers.

Kind regards

Stef

rearnold 08-22-2009 11:27 PM

STEF

Thanks for the replay. When you listen to music is it with Xm or MP3.

Bob

yoacedeuce 08-28-2009 03:31 PM

I was at a shop awhile back and a guy was looking into one of the bluetooth helmets, the guy at the counter told him it's a waste of money. I think it was around $400 or $500 and he says that the sound quality is pretty bad. Also, i wouldn't want to use it, riding my bike is a great excuse for me to ignore my phone and not talk to anyone. It could be convenient when you're trying to find a place and someone is giving you directions, but overall i think it would be too much of a distraction for me.

rocknrod 08-28-2009 03:47 PM

I bought a set from Chicago Harley $160.00 :)
Havnt recieved it yet...

dave817 03-08-2011 08:06 AM

Not compatible with my Zumo 665

This Road Tech Bluetooth Helmet system does not work well with my Zumo 665. When music switches to navigation directions, the volume dims too long and the first word or two are missing. Ditto when returning to the music. This does not happen with my mono cellphone hands free as a test, and the Road Tech does not do this on my Zumo 550. My colclusion is that the 665 is not at fault. KBC that does US support started to diagnose this, but was waiting for a friend to bring in his Zumo 660 to test it. I have not heard back in over 3 months.