General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBQ paint and rinehart tips

Old 08-26-2009, 07:47 PM
chuck2000RK
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBQ paint and rinehart tips

I have chips and scrapes on my rinehart tips. has anyone tried painting them with the high temp BBQ paint or any do it yourself ways?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine have turned a cherry red so I'm interested to know tips on this also.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:22 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 313 Posts

Yep, that's how I got mine looking good again, several thousand miles ago and still look great. Only thing I lost was the silver Rinehart signature. Thought about filling that in with crayon or something then scraping that out when the paint dried but ended up just spraying the entire tip...go for it!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:00 PM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you get the tips off, I banged and banged with a hard rubber malet with a microfiber towel. I didnt hit it as hard as I could for fear I would damage it. Bub/rin sent me a replacement tip since I haven't had them but a few months. Just wondering if there was an easier way. I got it a little ways off and tried to stick a flathead screwdriver in there and pop it off. I put a small scratch on it....

hints and tips much appreciated, sorry to hijack but I was about to start a new thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:33 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member

I just took my bags off, taped everything and sprayed them while still mounted.
I remember when I first got them I swapped out the regular baffles for quiet (ha that's a joke) and it took some effort to get the tips off!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:52 AM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to believe no one has taken them off yet, I think I will respray in the future but I have a brand new tip ready to go on if I could just get the old one off

Old 08-27-2009, 09:04 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've always wondered about doing the opposite. What are they made of? What's under the black?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:38 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by stic2it
Hard to believe no one has taken them off yet, I think I will respray in the future but I have a brand new tip ready to go on if I could just get the old one off
Warm them up a bit (but not too hot) and apply wd-40 and work from there, that's all I can suggest...I think that's how I got mine off way back when.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:25 PM
xmeter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they do not want to come off I have found that running the bike a while and heating them up, then using a rubber strap wrench works well. Don't forget to take the screws out first.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:35 PM
RobsSG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Paintable High Temp Paint at lowes or Home depot

Hi guys, I've done this for years with my trucks and cars on the tail pipes to make them look better. It is flat black, but last 4-ever. They make a 1200 degree paint in a quart size can. Get a small paint brush or paint sponge, leaves no brush strokes. I don't know why you could not rub with engraved logo with soap or a wax pencil crayon brite color so you can see it on the black and get it off. then wipe carefully around the logo, then paint with sponge. let dry, wipe off wax with hot wet towel or simply turn on the bike and let it melt...wipe off excess. I would tape the chrome part of the pipe to obtain a strait line where the black hits the chrome, just for neatness and nervous hands. Take tape off before starting bike or you will ahve a new mess on your nice painted pipes...Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BBQ paint and rinehart tips