Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   V&H Double Barrel Q series pipes feedback.... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/399605-v-and-h-double-barrel-q-series-pipes-feedback.html)

golfblues 09-03-2009 12:01 PM

V&H Double Barrel Q series pipes feedback....

Been thinking of putting V&H Big Shots Staggered on the Heritage. I like the look & would probably go with the quiet baffles or BCT QQ's. I came across the Double Barrel Q series that are a little cheaper & don't have the "straight" look but still look great. Any feedback on these would be appreciated. Are they too quiet or about the same as Big shots with quiet baffles. I run Big Radius/BCT QQ's in the Std & love the sound but I would like to tone it down a little on the Heritage without losing the rumble. The current Rush 2.0's sound OK but I like the look of the V&H Staggereds. TIA

http://www.vanceandhines.com/product...blebarrel.html

golfblues 09-03-2009 01:28 PM

Anyone with these pipes?

oct1949 09-03-2009 01:32 PM

We love our rush's also. Every V&H I've herad have that famous sound they are noted for..
having never heard the Q series I can't say..

U use U-tube so I reccomend looking there to see if anyone has put a sound video in there.
or even a web search..

Juve996 09-03-2009 03:07 PM

Yep, just put them in about 2 months ago and love them.. Looks and sound.. :icon_goofygrin:

V&H does offer a different baffle that work in these pipes. They are the quiet baffle for the big shots longs. The quiet baffle for the big shots actually add about 3db to the loudness of the the Doubble Barrel Longs. Out of the box, 90db, with the baffle 93db. They also add a little more crack in the sound without sacrificing any of the tone. I'm in the process of buying a set of these baffles for mine, they are about 60.00 for the set. Other than that, I love the look and sound of these pipes, especially the cut at the tip. Let me know if you need the PN for the replacement baffles.

Juve996 09-03-2009 03:25 PM

Just got done ordering the replacement baffles.. :icon_dance-cpatch:

golfblues 09-03-2009 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Juve996 (Post 5530296)
Yep, just put them in about 2 months ago and love them.. Looks and sound.. :icon_goofygrin:

V&H does offer a different baffle that work in these pipes. They are the quiet baffle for the big shots longs. The quiet baffle for the big shots actually add about 3db to the loudness of the the Doubble Barrel Longs. Out of the box, 90db, with the baffle 93db. They also add a little more crack in the sound without sacrificing any of the tone. I'm in the process of buying a set of these baffles for mine, they are about 60.00 for the set. Other than that, I love the look and sound of these pipes, especially the cut at the tip. Let me know if you need the PN for the replacement baffles.

Thanks. I'll take the part # too. I just have to choose between the DB's or Big Shots Staggered. And then if I want to change the baffles too. I like the longs on your bike. Thanks for another option! LOL.

The only thing I don't like about the longs is getting in to the clean the spokes. Aargh!

Juve996 09-04-2009 09:26 AM

It is a bit of a pain to get in there and clean the spokes. I usually put the bike on my lift and then clean it so it's not that big of a deal for me.

Thanks, I do like the looks of these pipes on this model, the cut on the tips and the lenght are just perfect I think. What's impressive is the full 3/4 wrap around shields, no matter which angle you look you can't see the edge of the shield.

Here's the deal on the DB and the BS Staggered. The DB Q series were original made for HD sometime back for their production bikes and were called the 16 Guage pipes. After noise ordinance laws HD was forced to discontinue the 16 Guage series. V&H however, continued to manufacture the pipes under the name Doubble Barrel Quiet series. These pipes come stock with a Q series baffle that are removable and interchangable with the Big Shots series baffles. The part number for these baffles 21877. The DB series also have a bigger power chamber which gives these pipes a deeper tone. The Big Shots series pipes are much louder due to a smaller power chamber and the stock baffles that are installed. I should receive the baffles today and if you like I can post a quick reply on the changes with regards to sound. From what V&H told me, they will keep the low deep tone and will give you a little more crack in the sound.

As an FYI, V&H does not advertise that these baffles are for this series of pipes but they do work. The other thing is, the factory is usually out of these so I had to get them from one of their retail stores.
They are located in Whittier California and I believe they will ship almost anywhere. Their phone is, 562-695-9626.

I hope this helps. :icon_patriot:

golfblues 09-04-2009 10:28 AM

Great info, thanks for the help. I think I'll go with the DB's. Let us know how the BS baffles sound.

willw 09-04-2009 07:48 PM

Yep put on the V&H Double Barrels on my 09 1200L and I can tell you that they are not really what I call quiet. LOL

Juve996 09-05-2009 02:14 PM

OK, it's done.. Just got done installing the Big Shots baffles on the DB longs.

WOW, these pipes really sound good now.. :icon_banana:
A bit louder compared to the stock Q Series baffles (about 4-5db at least) but sound real good. Well worth the 65.00 for the replacement baffles.

:icon_headbang::icon_headbang::icon_headbang:

Now it sounds like a Harley.. :icon_dance-cpatch: Man, that V&H sound is unmistakable.. :icon_teeth: :icon_goofygrin: