General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What is wrong with RevTech engines?

RevTech engines are appealing to some because of their price. Many members have reported issues with the engines and steer many people clear of them.

Read Below to find out:
-What issues people are having with RevTech engines
-What engine to buy instead of RevTech
-What issues other engines have
Print Wikipost

What is wrong with RevTech engines?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Gunrunner72
Road Master
Received 368 Likes on 117 Posts

Resurrected from the grave!lol

Old 08-09-2014, 01:58 AM
pliskin1
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revtech

Originally Posted by Johnnyiroc
I was reading in another thread to stay away from them. Just wondering why and what previous experiences with their engine were.
Had RevTech 100 engine since 2003.. still running, no problems and driven hard.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:18 PM
Rob Rosenberger
Stage I

I have had a revtec 100 since 2005 mounted in a custom chrome Hardcore 2 rigid chopper. estimating 15-20k miles (no odometer) problem free miles. this engine runs strong and sounds great. I have had alot of people ask me about the motor and then say "I know a guy that had one that blew up" but I have yet to meet anyone first hand that had one blow up. I would not hesitate to buy anoher. I think break in on any high performing twins is critcal and peple that do have failures may have created the issue themself by not following break in procedures. Just my 2 cents

Old 09-24-2014, 09:28 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyguy5571
Nothing like an old thread to bring back memories
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that if you work through an H-D dealer, they will remove your engine, send it back to Harley and Harley will do the equivalent of a factory rebuild then the dealer will re-install it in your motorcycle. I have no idea of what the charges would be and how it would compare price-wise with a non-Harley engine.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750s

Old 09-24-2014, 10:51 PM
Dyna_Syx
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Str8chuter
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that if you work through an H-D dealer, they will remove your engine, send it back to Harley and Harley will do the equivalent of a factory rebuild then the dealer will re-install it in your motorcycle. I have no idea of what the charges would be and how it would compare price-wise with a non-Harley engine.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750s

Not anymore. That program was discontinued.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:19 PM
rjhill
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pliskin1
Had RevTech 100 engine since 2003.. still running, no problems and driven hard.
My bother has a Rev Tech in his dyna with almost 40K on it has only had to put primary chain adjuster at 35k

Old 06-09-2015, 02:55 PM
Snob Snobs
Stage I
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Fl Jimbo 05
WoW musta hit a nerve... 1st post in almost 2 yrs.
As a first time user of this Forum, I must declare myself as a Custom Motorcycle trader of some thirty five years & I have seen all things V-twin HD cloan engine based that is out there in the custom market (Including a 2,500cc Ingenuity Engine) (appologise for my Dyslexia sometimes the spelling is going to be crap so dont bother being childish about it, I already no I cant spell)

Anyway I thought that the coment from "olozada" was spot on, what everyone needs to remember is that Toyota one of the best car manufacturers in the world, has just had to recall millions of vehicels, only because the US govenment made them.

I have seen S&S engines where they designed the pistons with to small a skirt, which made them rattle so badley that they had to redesign the pistons, was there a call back? not to my knowledge, where the oil pump holes didnt line up with the holes in the crank cases, where kits we purchased from them were not complete. Brand new push rods from Jims machining, which my own mechanic had to re-build the top end of his Engine because there was a piece of swarfe inside the push rod restricting the oil flow to the top end & yes it went bang, (I told him it was his own fault for not dissasembimg the brand new product & checking).

Revtech Engines in the early years had a terrible reputaion for blowing up, this I can attest to, as we had one go bang in a big way conrod through the bottom of the crank case (early 100CU MKI Engines)& worst of all it was on the faster paster's Harley Powered Hearse (The Harley Engine had already died)(he threatened to sue, he blasphemed down the phone at me & threatened to bring down the wrathe of God upon me) may I say that I only installed the Engine, I didnt blow it up!

I was dully perturbed & contacted CCE & happened to be going to a CCE trade convetion where I spoke with the engine designer himself from Korea, (He is an American living there), we disccused much about the RevTech Engine & the philosophy of the company & I must tell you I couldnt find fault with them. He even told me that they had sacked one of the purchasing agents because he had purchased some substandard crank, conrod big end bearing pins(From Japan), which were only in the first 100 or what ever number of engines & although they had, had a few go bang. Under much reasurch it was found that although some of the pins had failed not all had. It was discoverd that many of the old Harley Mechanics who had installed them know if you turn down the tickover on a Pan or a Shovel you get the famouse Potato/Potato/Potato sound that everyone loves to hear from an old Harley.

However so many of the old HD mechanic who had fitted the NEW REVTECH ENGINES, ignored the instructions which states very cleary that the MINIMUM tick over was something like 900-1100rpm or something like that, ignor it at your perial.

This is because it is not a Harley Davidson and the oil system is far supirior to the Shovel/Pan/Evo & operates at a different operating pressure & RPM.

After we got this information, someone contacted me, about the Herse rider (Who was not the Paster) & told us that they had seen the person, wheeling the hearse, doing burnouts & donuts with it & if that wasnt enough on the way home, got stuck in a very slow moving traffic jam for many, many miles (in summer if I remember correctly) engine barley ticking over, instead of pulling over & letting the AIRCOOLED Engine cool down, when they got to the end of the traffic jam, just open up the throttle to full speed at which point poor old REVTECH went bang, due to oil starvation & much distresse. Now when I spoke to the Engineer he was very understanding & between RevTech & CCE, sold him one of the later 110cu" engines at such a reduced price, I wish I could of had one as well & I do mean nearly for free, they didnt have to there was rider error not mechanicel error.

The morel to all this is that manufactures like so many others are not perfect, however many of us try really hard to reach & satisfy the general publics expectations, not easly done, I have been trying for thirty five years & they call me the Marmite Man, you either Love me & know I will always do my best for you, Hate me & that probebly means you have tried to do me a dirty deal or not except lifes limitations(Want everything for nothing & want it now) or you may have worked for me & your standards were not up to mine, good ridence to you!

Anyway yes RevTech had some problems with design & manufacture in the early days, however most failiers were down to miss-mechanicing some down to bad luck, of the later two series the MKII & the now EuroIII Engines which have an unbeliveable warrenty, what can I say & as to the person who mentioned H-D, my God you should hear the storys from people who have gone back because they have got rust showing with in the first year & HD dealers have said its because you have driven in the rain, come on now!!!

Sorry I went on so long, however having seen this from both sides, seeing the comments & un-substansiated, barroom drivel that some people are willing to put out there with no threat to them selves yet the harm they can do, does not do good service to themselves or our industry, there is much that is wrong & much that needs putting right. If something is not right, dont put it on a forum, contact the supplier & the manufacture directley & then let the world now what happened, good or bad, in the end take responcability for your own failings mostley!

The space shuttle, Billions spent on it, it still went bang because of a cheap seal, does that mean it was a bad design????

If you have got this far in my sermon, I wish you well

Regards to all & safe ridding

Snob
Snobs Customs London

Old 06-14-2015, 12:03 AM
oldboxer
Novice
Default I had a 110

I had a custom hardtail bobber built by american classic motors. Anyways it had the revtech 110 mounted to a 5 speed revtech tranny (custom chrome). I ran the crap out of that engine for 5 years high rpms rode it like I stole it most of the time. Only problem I ever had was an output shaft seal leak.. The bike itself constantly fell apart beacause it was a ridged. But the engine was solid and very powerful..Now my Softail that only has 2k miles is already weeping a bit of oil.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:06 AM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,069 Likes on 757 Posts

Guy that works for me has about 50k miles on a 100" revtech, no problems.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:25 AM
bbuckis
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Snob Snobs
After we got this information, someone contacted me, about the Herse rider (Who was not the Paster) & told us that they had seen the person, wheeling the hearse, doing burnouts & donuts with it & if that wasnt enough on the way home, got stuck in a very slow moving traffic jam for many, many miles (in summer if I remember correctly) engine barley ticking over, instead of pulling over & letting the AIRCOOLED Engine cool down, when they got to the end of the traffic jam, just open up the throttle to full speed at which point poor old REVTECH went bang, due to oil starvation & much distresse. Now when I spoke to the Engineer he was very understanding & between RevTech & CCE, sold him one of the later 110cu" engines at such a reduced price, I wish I could of had one as well & I do mean nearly for free, they didnt have to there was rider error not mechanicel error.
A bunch of hearsay. Good that the Engineer didn't believe it.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with RevTech engines?