General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What is wrong with RevTech engines?

RevTech engines are appealing to some because of their price. Many members have reported issues with the engines and steer many people clear of them.

Read Below to find out:
-What issues people are having with RevTech engines
-What engine to buy instead of RevTech
-What issues other engines have
Print Wikipost

What is wrong with RevTech engines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:41 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

My only experiance with Revtech was hauling the warranty motors back to Custom Chrome in Gilroy Ca.I asked the guys there why so many motors were going back.The main guy back where I was taking them told me it was because Revtech wanted the whole motor back even if it was a oil leak,they wanted to check everything out if there was a problem of any kind.This was about five years ago.
I find it interesting that even OCC when building a daily rider uses a stock Harley engine.Saw them do this several times when I used to watch their show.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:22 PM
olozada
Stage II
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow! Talk about angry people. Relax! I stated that these were my opinions and you should check for yourself. So I'll address some comments that were made. 1. No I don't work for Revtech. No, I am not an easy sale as one person said. However, I am a Procurement manager full time and a part-time Real Estate agent. For those who don't know what those are; I negotiate purchases, sales and vender contracts all day long! 2. I don't have a metric; I actually have a 2000 Road King & a 2003 APC High Roller 240 with a Revtech 110 & 6 speed Ultima. 3. I am not an idiot like some punk kid called me. What I am is a realist and smart enough to know that when a person says he rides an S & S. That when he goes down and needs service, he gets his parts fast. What he is saying is he goes down quite a bit but turns around and says it's a great engine; he is lying!!! You can't have an engine that goes down a lot and say it's a good engine...so which one is it? 4. Those who say Harley are American made better guess again. I will say it again "LOOK FOR YOURSELF". What do you think they make at the Singapore & their Thailand plants? Harley is American assembled. Where do you think all those sensors, fuel injectors, speedometers, cables, etc come from? Now I am going to make you cry, like when you were told there is no Santa Claus. The shirts and jackets you were with all the Harley Logos on it....are not made here either. They have logos placed on them here but they are made in Taiwan, Mexico and other places.

Now, could come back and call me an idiot again or take it all in and look it all up for yourself. You can even come back with that great line "buy American" while you sit and type it out on your computer. Go ahead say "my computer is a Dell its American". Made with circuit boards from Taiwan or Korea. I respect everyone’s opinion but be realistic. Take a walk in Wal-Mart and see how much made in America items you can find.

Originally Posted by dog155
There have been a lot of issues with these motors,may all be corrected, who knows.The world only remembers the negative,very seldom the positive.

Amen, finally someone with some wisdom!! Good comment Dog....my point exactly. 5 years ago, they had problems, most have been fixed. Just like the Harley AMF days.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-12-2018 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 01-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's kind of like a Ford Vs. Chevy battle. I'm a Ford man and a SS man.
My friends either have SS engines or Harley engines, not but a few have Revtech that I know. Can't say really anything bad about Revtech other than the few I know burn some oil, However I know other engines that do the same , they just have higher mileage than the Revtech.

The following users liked this post:
Daytonavtwin (10-26-2021)
Old 01-06-2010, 09:43 PM
nighttrain72970
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got friends that have had all three brands. The ones with Revtech and Ultima motors were having problems before they even had 1500 miles on them. My friend that rides an S&S hasn't had any problems and he even drag races it. S&S probably has a six month warranty because their motors are built better and they know it. And no I don't work for S&S, but I do work for a company that supplies them with superior honing equipment. JMO

Old 01-07-2010, 01:56 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by olozada
The shirts and jackets you were with all the Harley Logos on it....are not made here either. They have logos placed on them here but they are made in Taiwan, Mexico and other places.
Go ahead say "my computer is a Dell its American". Made with circuit boards from Taiwan or Korea. I respect everyone’s opinion but be realistic. Take a walk in Wal-Mart and see how much made in America items you can find.
Shirt, jackets, computers, auto parts and Walmart stuff being made overseas is common knowledge.

What I'd like to know is what percentage of the parts of a Harley engine are manufactured overseas and what percentage are still made here in the US?

Old 01-07-2010, 02:13 AM
malla1962
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how does the price of a stock harley engine compare with the other 3? and what warranty do you get?

Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Plow64
Shirt, jackets, computers, auto parts and Walmart stuff being made overseas is common knowledge.

What I'd like to know is what percentage of the parts of a Harley engine are manufactured overseas and what percentage are still made here in the US?
Originally Posted by olozada
But then again 90% of Harley Davidson is made of Asain parts.
you heard it here on the internet, it must be true.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by nighttrain72970
Got friends that have had all three brands. The ones with Revtech and Ultima motors were having problems before they even had 1500 miles on them. My friend that rides an S&S hasn't had any problems and he even drag races it. S&S probably has a six month warranty because their motors are built better and they know it. And no I don't work for S&S, but I do work for a company that supplies them with superior honing equipment. JMO
Say what?...

Old 01-07-2010, 09:12 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
olozada quote...

"But then again 90% of Harley Davidson is made of Asain parts'

Dude, you are an idiot!
Could not have verbalized this any better.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:37 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

only know what I've read in here.. far as I know never seen one...have seen several S&S's. never talked to owners.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with RevTech engines?