General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What is wrong with RevTech engines?

RevTech engines are appealing to some because of their price. Many members have reported issues with the engines and steer many people clear of them.

Read Below to find out:
-What issues people are having with RevTech engines
-What engine to buy instead of RevTech
-What issues other engines have
Print Wikipost

What is wrong with RevTech engines?

Old 10-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 95yj
Thanks. More options. I like the fact that they are basically HP Evo motors like the S&S rather than an entire new design like the RevTech.

Anyone have any experience with these?
Check out the EVO section of HDF. Plenty of engine talk over there that's pertinent to your '93 FLSTC.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:40 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by olozada
Wow! Talk about angry people. Relax! I stated that these were my opinions and you should check for yourself. So I'll address some comments that were made. 1. No I don't work for Revtech. No, I am not an easy sale as one person said. However, I am a Procurement manager full time and a part-time Real Estate agent. For those who don't know what those are; I negotiate purchases, sales and vender contracts all day long! 2. I don't have a metric; I actually have a 2000 Road King & a 2003 APC High Roller 240 with a Revtech 110 & 6 speed Ultima. 3. I am not an idiot like some punk kid called me.

you contradict yourself, you say you don't own a metric and then say you have a revtech powered bike in the same sentence. I'd build a bike around a jap honda powerplant before a korean revand blow

Old 10-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Diveanx
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have been around Harley's since the 70's through either racing or just cruising and have seen them come and go and all 3 engines have the advantages and disadvantages. I personally do not trust a crate motor other than a factory engine. Hey they designed it and put the warranty on it from the get go so who knows the engine better than the people that created it.

With that being said everyone has alot of good things to stay with a few that just look at things with blinders on. There is not much these days made in the states and that's because most american's want so much money just to do a normal job that it prices a company out of business then wanting top dollar to build or make something then they want to by it for nothing so we have let this country get this way. Very few people have any respect for their job and making something they are proud of and if they do they want so much for it that the average person can not afford it.

I prefer a stock engine that I have enhanced with my own choice of parts. That way I know exactly what is between my legs and how it is going to run. Some of those parts may be American and some may be made overseas but the end result is I have a bike that I know I can trust and rely on because I built it or at the least know what was put into it and how it was put together. JMHO

Just because an engine is made overseas does not make it a metric. The design that it was based on is a tried and true American design that they felt they could improve on. Everyone has a right to be able to try and improve a product or in this case an engine. Look at Nascar engine builders and NHRA engine builders. I would say that they have the same problem or issue. They want the best product to do the job that they know they can trust because in their case it will make or break them and their reputation.

A company will not stay in business if it does not make a product that does not live up to a decent reputation and in the Harley world of word of mouth advertising that would be creating your own death to build something that will not last.

With that being said I will step down as the new guy and get off the soap box. Some may agree and some may disagree but in the end we are all here for the same reason our love for the greatest bike on this planet and when someone asks for an opinion on something it is always best to hear it from someone that has exact experience with a product that is being asked about because with first hand knowledge you can better answer that question.

Okay I really feel like the new guy I did not pay attention that this thread was over 4 years old LOL Dont pay attention to me one too many knocks on the head LOL

Last edited by Diveanx; 10-26-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 10-28-2010, 07:26 AM
evil apes
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll stick with my Harley engine. My local performance shop told me that revtecs are crap & he absolutely hates working on them. This performance shop is one of the best in the state of Pa. I Don't want to put his name out there being that he works on all types of motors.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:14 AM
an Uncouth Barbarian
Road Warrior
Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

But then again 90% of Harley Davidson is made of Asain parts.
Bullshit. Do some research before making a bogus statement like that.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:29 AM
hydroplane
Stage I

I heard some years back I BELIEVE IN 99 OR 2000 that Hyundai produced such a junker originally that it was a totol embarrasment to the Hyundai familly, whom where traditionally ship builders... that they spared no expense and built one hell of a car and backed it with an unheared of warranty of 10yrs bumper to bumper to redeem their good name . That to me says give us another chance to earn your business any problems EVER will be taken care of at our expense. So I dont believe they would put a car out there that would cost them money for the next ten years.Hey they're still in business thats the PROOF

Old 01-15-2011, 03:53 AM
Patriot60
Cruiser

Iv'e built bikes with all 3. So far none of the people I've built them for have had a single problem. The one poster was right, RevTech does have a better warranty then the other 2. All in all it's what you want. For my money I would go with an S&S or a stock Harley and build it the way I wanted.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:33 AM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,199 Likes on 3,168 Posts

.....Take a walk in Wal-Mart and see how much made in America items you can find.
I have never seen a boat at an airport, either, so boats must be, uhh, whatever point you think you're making. Walmart, the bastion of quality products, and none of them are American. Wow. I get it now. Whatever it was supposed to be. Thank Wall for Walmart.

I went to a Chinese restaurant, and they didn't have any American food. American food must not be very good. It must have foreign ingredients.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:32 PM
chopperstyle79
Stage I

Originally Posted by Diveanx
Well I have been around Harley's since the 70's through either racing or just cruising and have seen them come and go and all 3 engines have the advantages and disadvantages. I personally do not trust a crate motor other than a factory engine. Hey they designed it and put the warranty on it from the get go so who knows the engine better than the people that created it.

With that being said everyone has alot of good things to stay with a few that just look at things with blinders on. There is not much these days made in the states and that's because most american's want so much money just to do a normal job that it prices a company out of business then wanting top dollar to build or make something then they want to by it for nothing so we have let this country get this way. Very few people have any respect for their job and making something they are proud of and if they do they want so much for it that the average person can not afford it.

I prefer a stock engine that I have enhanced with my own choice of parts. That way I know exactly what is between my legs and how it is going to run. Some of those parts may be American and some may be made overseas but the end result is I have a bike that I know I can trust and rely on because I built it or at the least know what was put into it and how it was put together. JMHO

Just because an engine is made overseas does not make it a metric. The design that it was based on is a tried and true American design that they felt they could improve on. Everyone has a right to be able to try and improve a product or in this case an engine. Look at Nascar engine builders and NHRA engine builders. I would say that they have the same problem or issue. They want the best product to do the job that they know they can trust because in their case it will make or break them and their reputation.

A company will not stay in business if it does not make a product that does not live up to a decent reputation and in the Harley world of word of mouth advertising that would be creating your own death to build something that will not last.

With that being said I will step down as the new guy and get off the soap box. Some may agree and some may disagree but in the end we are all here for the same reason our love for the greatest bike on this planet and when someone asks for an opinion on something it is always best to hear it from someone that has exact experience with a product that is being asked about because with first hand knowledge you can better answer that question.

Okay I really feel like the new guy I did not pay attention that this thread was over 4 years old LOL Dont pay attention to me one too many knocks on the head LOL
Very well said.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:12 PM
axel black
Road Captain

S & S would be my first choice. My builder does some Jims big inch and likes them too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is wrong with RevTech engines?