General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some info

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:26 PM
psychohd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some info

Hey everyone, I'm looking to sell my roller. The problem is I still dont know what I have, so I am afraid to sell it only to find out I got ripped off. I have been told there were no numbers on frames that old, so I am lost. I already found my next project, and now I'm starting to get antsy about selling this one. If anyone can help me, it would be much appreciated....

Attached Thumbnails I need some info-neck-lock.jpg   I need some info-side-shot.jpg  
Old 09-05-2009, 12:30 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like a conglomeration of different bikes put together. Maybe if you found a frame number, HD could tell you what it started out as. Did you check the neck and bottom of the frame really good?

Front end looks kind of like a Sportster (a really old Sportster) while the rear fender and tank looks like it's off an FL.

Last edited by DannyZ71; 09-05-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:31 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Frame looks to be a 65-69. In 70 they started stamping frames to match vins. Yours does not appear to have been altered around the neck so i would say it's OEM. Round swing arm, front and rear star hub and drum mark it early as well. Can't tell from the handlebars if they are OEM or aftermarket. Tanks might be aftermarket or OEM. If OEM they are 66 and later (65 was the last year to have the shut off rod in the tanks). There are no emblem mounts that I can see, but they may have been ground off and painted over the rattle can paint job. Someone took the star hub and mounted a 21 on the front. Tubes look like they might be 2 over from the angle.

Basically its a good roller that someone could go either way with, chopper/bobber or start putting together a pan or shovel depending on the date of the frame.

BTW if its a HD frame for 65-69 there should be a code on the left side of the neck just below the pin. This will tell you the year of the frame at least.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:03 PM
pottsy
Road Master

Just curious, what would you like to get for it?

Old 09-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

"The problem is I still dont know what I have, so I am afraid to sell it only to find out I got ripped off."

Are you afraid you will be leaving money on the table, or are you afraid you were ripped off when you bought it??

Do you still have the bill of sale from when you bought it? That will make selling it easier.

You can still sell it with a bill of sale now. Every state is different about titling and California is just different...

Call the state and see what their requirements are.

Without a bill of sale, in some states you could post it as an abandoned vehicle, then take it in and have a vin affixed. Again, check your state.

Someone that will take the time to rebuild it, will take the time and steps necessary to title it.

As for you being ripped off... It looks old enough not to have a vin, but look at it closely. Make sure the original vin hasn't been ground off and/or welded over. or the frame cut and replaced where the vin should be. If that is all OK, you should be fine.

As for what someone will pay for it, best of luck. I would determine the year of the frame and what motor it is set up for and that will help you advertise it.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:30 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Do not get a state assigned VIN put on it. It has more value as an old stock frame than as a "new" frame. Someone with a Shovel engine could build it and it would be titled as a Harley-Davidson, rather than as a "Special Construction" vehicle.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:48 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

roller, what is the statement mean..

Old 09-05-2009, 10:21 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,511 Likes on 645 Posts

Roller= rolling frame.....wheels & axles plus whatever. Not just a bare frame.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:32 AM
red1100cc
Advanced

might be worth a grand or so.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:00 AM
pottsy
Road Master

Originally Posted by FlamedFXR
Roller= rolling frame.....wheels & axles plus whatever. Not just a bare frame.
Yep, runs from a frame on wheels, up to a pretty much complete bike lacking paint.

Quick Reply: I need some info