General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What A Piece of Junk

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 12:18 AM
SKJOLD
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What A Piece of Junk

I am kinda thinking the same thing here. Your post is a little far fetched to be real. I work at a Harley dealership and there is no way any Harley Tech or any motorcycle tech for that matter would say that glowing pipes are normal.
ORIGINAL: Seth

Why dont you post a pic of the bike so we can have a look see,.....if you even really have one. Could be you own a honda, and want a harley,...so you came here just to troll a little?

Old 06-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Spartan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like your dealer took YOU for a ride. It also sounds like the mechanic who worked on your bike was the guy that only does oil changes. This isn't a HD problem, it's a DEALER problem. Since they f*cked it up, have them put in a NEW FACTORY engine and exhaust and chalk it up to experience. That should take care of 99% of your problems. Then find a new dealer.

Old 06-18-2006, 12:21 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: SKJOLD

I am kinda thinking the same thing here. Your post is a little far fetched to be real. I work at a Harley dealership and there is no way any Harley Tech or any motorcycle tech for that matter would say that glowing pipes are normal.
ORIGINAL: Seth

Why dont you post a pic of the bike so we can have a look see,.....if you even really have one. Could be you own a honda, and want a harley,...so you came here just to troll a little?
I've been saying troll all along.There's NOWAY a HD dealer would let a scoot out like that

Old 06-18-2006, 12:30 AM
Harley Al
Road Captain

WOW...This is a Hot One!

I sure hope the guy is stating the truth? I also believe he is, unless he is a real good chain puller? Springer put it best as how this problem should be handled, This Man has been Bashed enough!

I would think we all would love to know the outcome! if there is one?

Ride Safe!

Old 06-18-2006, 12:44 AM
SKJOLD
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are serious about your post and are not just trolling, then I suggest that you perhaps change your screen name and start again on the right foot. Then I am sure there are plenty of people here that would be more then happy to help you with advice to resolve your problem.

The unfortunate reality is that as good a brand that Harley Davidson is, there will be sometimes problems. Espacially when putting big bore kits and cams into a new bike. These mods are not covered by the factory warrenty as they sometimes shorten the life of an engine if not configured properly. Most dealerships like the one I work for will not do the modifications in the first place because it voids the warrenty. They will not do any work on a bike that will void the warrenty. Now some dealerships will do the work and take the risk. They will not be covered by the factory if there is a problem and will usually do the work out of their own pocket if there is a problem. I would stay on the dealership and press them to fix the problem. Glowing pipes is a sign that there is a problem with the intake/carb or the ECM has not been remapped properly if it is an injected bike.

A stock bike from the factory is usually a great bike because of the quality control practices of the factory. They are balenced for optimum performance when they leave the factory. Now when you modify a bike, you are altering that balance and are now depending on the knowledge and skill of the mechanics doing the modifications. Your problem is with the particular dealership you bought your bike and not Harley Davidson in general because as you can see there are over eight thousand members here who are perfectly happy with their Harleys. No company is perfect but I think HD does a good job of comming close. Good luck on your bike and I hope you get the problem resolved.

ORIGINAL: OverPricedJunk

Obviously I went about this the wrong way and I am sorry that I offended a lot of people. I honestly am at my wits end about this motorcycle. I really have had all of the problems mentioned and don't really know what to do anymore. Harley says that the exhaust glowing red is normal. Some how I just have a problem with that. Many of you have mentioned the Lemon Law but to be honest I don't want a new bike I want the one I have to be right. As previously mentioned I am going to have some more work done on it next week and hopefully that will be the last time I have to take it to the shop for a while for a problem. The only thing that I am worried about is the fact that I am being told what I am doing may and probably will void the warranty.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Old 06-18-2006, 12:56 AM
Harley Al
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: SKJOLD

If you are serious about your post and are not just trolling, then I suggest that you perhaps change your screen name and start again on the right foot. Then I am sure there are plenty of people here that would be more then happy to help you with advice to resolve your problem.

The unfortunate reality is that as good a brand that Harley Davidson is, there will be sometimes problems. Especially when putting big bore kits and cams into a new bike. These mods are not covered by the factory warranty as they sometimes shorten the life of an engine if not configured properly. Most dealerships like the one I work for will not do the modifications in the first place because it voids the warranty. They will not do any work on a bike that will void the warranty. Now some dealerships will do the work and take the risk. They will not be covered by the factory if there is a problem and will usually do the work out of their own pocket if there is a problem. I would stay on the dealership and press them to fix the problem. Glowing pipes is a sign that there is a problem with the intake/carb or the ECM has not been remapped properly if it is an injected bike.

A stock bike from the factory is usually a great bike because of the quality control practices of the factory. They are balanced for optimum performance when they leave the factory. Now when you modify a bike, you are altering that balance and are now depending on the knowledge and skill of the mechanics doing the modifications. Your problem is with the particular dealership you bought your bike and not Harley Davidson in general because as you can see there are over eight thousand members here who are perfectly happy with their Harley's. No company is perfect but I think HUD does a good job of coming close. Good luck on your bike and I hope you get the problem resolved.

Obviously I went about this the wrong way and I am sorry that I offended a lot of people. I honestly am at my wits end about this motorcycle. I really have had all of the problems mentioned and don't really know what to do anymore. Harley says that the exhaust glowing red is normal. Some how I just have a problem with that. Many of you have mentioned the Lemon Law but to be honest I don't want a new bike I want the one I have to be right. As previously mentioned I am going to have some more work done on it next week and hopefully that will be the last time I have to take it to the shop for a while for a problem. The only thing that I am worried about is the fact that I am being told what I am doing may and probably will void the warranty.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Nice Post SKJOLD

I would agree 100% if it's a Man that needs help! We all need help at times with are Rides, and this is a Great Place to find them! ( shet women too ) The time will tell on this one!

Ride Safe!

Old 06-18-2006, 01:16 AM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry Kirbygirl and Bikergirl. Just a little brain fart...

Crazy Canuck[sm=smokin.gif]

Old 06-18-2006, 01:32 AM
ccgobama
Road Warrior

Well i've got a kick a$$ Harley. 34k miles and still kicking strong.

Old 06-18-2006, 01:52 AM
thumper 29
Outstanding HDF Member

That is one of the problems that I am running into. Depending on who you are talking to you get totally different answers. The dealer that I bought the bike from has told me that they have had the factory void the warranty on three separate bikes because of aftermarket exhaust.
Do not add the aftermarket exhaust until the problem is fixed.
It is not normal for an exhaust to glow red, this usually means a
valve (exhaust valve that is) is hanging open or bent!

On another note, you did come off pretty harsh on the Harley's
and that wasn't fair.

I myself can understand your anger and frustration of the
situation being it your first Harley, and I am sure if it would have
been your first Honda the reaction would be the same,
if things have gone wrong like they have with a Honda or whatever.

Something else you should pay attention to is how a lot on here are willing to
help you with your problem, even after your original tart post.

Believe me these people here will help you, and me too if I can,
just try and calm down and lets get you happy and on the road!

Old 06-18-2006, 09:41 AM
VROCK SE
Cruiser

Ya, you got a Lemon! I have 4K on my o6 ultra. 0 problems so far! there are alot of these bikes that will go over 100K without a major rebuild.
It is a statistical fact that if you buy a GM car or truck that was made on a Mon or a Fri, Or the Day before or after a Holiday, That you are going to have some trouble out of it. Because of how much the workers party! GEE, Do you think that HD employees party???
LMFAO

Quick Reply: What A Piece of Junk