General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad back-good Fatboy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Chopur G
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad back-good Fatboy?

3 years ago I had back surgery and now have a sore back, I was looking to buy a SE fatboy but I am worried that it might make my back wose. I was told that a bagger would be better for my back but I am still not convinced. Love the look of the SE fatboy. Kinda like the look of baggers. Would anything like upgraded shocks and seat help the fatboy's(mine and the bikes) ride? or should I go with the streeglide?
Thanks in advance

Chop.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Bad back-good Fatboy?

Whew! You will get lots of opinions but a bagger does offer a softer ride - Assuming you are cleared by your doctor to ride I would suggest renting - if you can, try before you buy - I think a hundred miles on each would tell you what you are up against - A Backrest, upgraded seat will make a world of difference IMHO!

Old 06-16-2006, 01:19 PM
rap87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you worried about bumps in the road messing your back up I wouldn't go with a softail. Go with a Dyna if you want a bad sleek look, because it has 2 shocks, or go with a touring bike which has even better shocks...air shocks. The softail is going to be the rougher ride, although not bad....but if you have a back problem I wouldn't mess with it.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Bluerose

First thing the doc is going to tell you is not to ride...
That said...
I have a bad back and was told the very same thing about the bike choice, but still ended up with a softail.

Each persons back pain is different and you need to gauge what irritates your back more and how you plan to ride. You may also discuss the suspension with your doctor to see if it could cause damage or just irratate.

My back tends to be more sensitive to vibration then to actual bumping. So here is what I found (for its worth):

The rubber mounted engines on Touring bikes (sorry I didn't ride a dyna) are very smoooth once you get going. However in slow traffic or stopped you can really feel the vibration. The touring bikes are a bit heavier (or at least heavier feeling to me) which I felt during tipup. Sort of concerned me a bit for my back...Though I'm guessing at some point I might get one.

The Softail models are smooth as glass with the counter balanced engine but with the mono shock there are definate times I feel the road. In 1000 miles though I have only wished for better suspention on about 10 miles of road. The bikes tend to sit lower which can give you a bit better balance at a stop and a bit easier tipup (btw this really depends on your height/size... you can lower a touring model also)

My riding right now consists of trips between 20 and a couple a hundred miles. I have had to do a bit of customizing to the seat, I added a touring pack with a solo setup for longer rides and better back support. Still working out all the ergonomics but I was comfortable for at least 250 miles at a strecth (probably more but that is the longest I have gone so far ), before the touring pack...hoping for better with it.

Best bet would be to rent on 2 different weekends (one for each bike you are looking at) giving your back time to rest between tries.
Be sure to find some rough roads, do some in town stop and go, and some longer freeway runs...plus have fun

Old 06-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Chopur G
6th Gear

Thanks for the responses. Better to hear from some people with simular problems or know a little more than the kid tryin to sell me the most expensive bike.That was the first thing the Dr. said-No riding,it wont damage my back any more(discotimy)but just incase of large bumps...', I can take the vibration ,tough choice is right- I won't be doing any Ironbutts thats for sure. I never thought of renting, good idea I might even try the dyna lowrider or wide glide which was my 3rd choice. I was also worried about the weight and being a little top heavy with the bagger.
will let you all know my choice soon.

Chop.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:09 PM
Bluerose

Actually, I only had problems with the baggers when I was tired and only getting the bike up of the stand. I found the lower bikes to be easier to manage in that reguard...but that is me. Once your up there is no problem.

I have a collapsing disk L4/L5 (no surgury for me..sigh)...I've had no problems with the softail, only one day of riding in 50 mph winds got to me a bit. If you are that far in to a back problem you know your limits....just listen to them.

I do suggest a windshild and backrest for you. Especially the windshild...the backrest will be a matter of preference.

Old 06-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 2 ruptured and several degenerating from an injury several years back.
I don't know if the SE bikes have a stiffer or lowered suspension, but I would avoid either. Also, that SE seat looks like it was designed to look cool, not for comfort.

As long as the shocks (I see 2 under my bike) are preloaded enough, you won't bottom out.
That's where I feel the pain. Also, make sure your tire pressure is adjusted properly. Mine were overfilled from the dealer and made the ride very hard.

I doubt you will be able to rent a SE bike, but I suppose its possible. If you like the softail look, but want more comfort, check out the road kings. Somewhat similar, but much less jaring ride. No fairing so its not as heavy as an EG or RG. You can't take off the bags though without it looking funny.

A different seat or customized stocker can go a long way towards comfort. It made all the difference. Oh and a windshield. You don't realize how much you strain your back holding yourself upright on the highway until you try a windshield. (thanks Bluerose for that info)

Old 06-16-2006, 10:53 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

Every thing I have from T12 down is degerated, constant pain.

I got a Low Rider. I have been in love with that style since the SuperGlide came out.

I replace the seat with a touring seat. Much better than stock.

Rent, Rent, Rent

Sit on everything.

Good Luck

Old 06-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 526 Posts

The SG is lowered from the factory, so it will have a harsher ride than the RK. The problem I had with the RK is the bar position, it pulled me forward. But that can be changed. I believe with the right seat and the shocks adjusted corectly the RK will be fine. Just my .02

Old 06-16-2006, 11:25 PM
springerGT
Road Master

A bad back member here also, ride a softail. Can you believe they named it a
softtail? If you stop and think about it, nothing rides well if you have a back problem. But its always so good to ride.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5692/3203DD39F67A4552936AE409C031229B.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Bad back-good Fatboy?