General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmets for Cruisers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 01:52 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey!!! Wh-Zup???

I just referenced a former HDF member who took to plowing the pavement on his face (evidenced by the scratches on his helmet's face sheild) after a low-speed mis-judgement. I found that his Name was substituted by "******"!!!

Do I need to re-read "Animal Farm" to understand the dynamics of this, or is there someone who can explain it to me here?

There are many people with whom I find philosophical or political incongruity, but I still care about them as people.

Jim aka kiltiemon (If it isn't Scottish... IT'S CRAP!!!)

Old 11-26-2009, 03:45 PM
twowheelstoo
Advanced

I get the impression most of the nay sayers on this thread have never worn a good quality full face helmet. In anything other than hot weather and slow speeds nothing can beat the comfort and better vision (visor vs goggles) of a well vented, good fitting, full face helmet - especially at speed. Not to mention it is MUCH more protective than a skid pad helmet. ~30% of fatal head impacts (Hurt Report) are to the face and chin. Modular helmets offer more protection than a 1/2 helmet but are still heavier than a full face helmet and do not have the same level of protection as a FF helmet. Currently there is no modular helmet built that will pass Snell 1995 and 2010 testing standards. When it comes to fashion and function - I'll take function every time.

Attached Thumbnails Full face helmets for Cruisers?-suomy_vandal_toseland_limited_edition_helmet_red-blue_zoom.jpg  

Last edited by twowheelstoo; 11-26-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Strat HD
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been riding for 30 years and only wore a helmet when I was in a state that required one. My family has been on my *** so after reaing many threads in different forums I am going to start wearing one.

I read the op's post and none of the others. Just made me laugh, man. Helmet to fit the bike. hahahaha. silly just silly.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:00 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I always wanted one of the old Simpson Bandits. Thought those looked bad as hell........still do

Old 11-26-2009, 05:01 PM
fonemann
Road Captain

bug cruising into your mouth= not too awesome, LMAO

Old 11-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by twowheelstoo
In anything other than hot weather and slow speeds nothing can beat the comfort and better vision (visor vs goggles) of a well vented, good fitting, full face helmet - especially at speed.
These days hot weather low speed riding constitutes a vast majority of my riding. Back and forth to work is about all I get, in between deployments of course. The last thing I want after being away from my kids is more time away from them. The carbon fiber DOT half helmet works great for me. I have considered a full face for winter/bad weather riding though.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:26 PM
kickdrum
Intermediate

I need the sun protection due to medications. It is also nice if it starts to rain and I'm 100 miles from home.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:46 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Like I did say previously in this, I only wear one prob 20% of the time I actually wear a helmet...which isn't often (no lectures please).
I think a FF is a must have imo because they come in very handy at times.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:02 PM
steel insane
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesn't matter which type of motorcycle you ride. The helmet is to protect you head not be a fashion accessory for your bike (you can still have a cool helmet!)

I got a close friend layin' in a coma right his moment from a car that broadsided him 2 blocks from the shop. Not a high speed accident but when you bounce you head off the pavement, the damage is still very serious.

Was the car at fault? Absolutely. But my bud was didn't wear his lid (still sitting on his desk) and now he's facing weeks of recovery from a head trauma (broken damn near every bone in his face).

Had he wore it, the damn would have significantly less. For me, I wear mine. Actually, it's more for those who would have stand watch in a hospital over me...

Old 11-26-2009, 07:07 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donohu90
Best kept secret on hdforums apparently
I'm not suprised full face helmets get the cold shoulder on a Harley forum. But Ive seen enough blood and death that riding gear and protection are important to me. If the gear is of high quality and fits well, it is not uncomfortable at all. Not preaching at all. Wear what ya want.

Quick Reply: Full face helmets for Cruisers?