General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmets for Cruisers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:27 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

I use a full face helmet on a road king, hot weather open the shield but still a little warm.
I do miss the open feeling of the shorty.
But the full face provides significantly more facial protection and is great when it rains.
Trying to check-out flip-ups.
Might be better for quick stops,gas-up, to talk or just cool down.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:47 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, first off I'm 62 years old and am way past worrying about what other people think. I do wear a full face helmet and a leather jacket and leather chaps every time I get on my scoot. I don't care if it's 90 degress outside, I am in full leathers. Here's why:

About a year ago one of my gun show buddies was taking his RK out for a ride and rounded a corner with a deer standing right alongside the road...it darted out into the road. In a split second, he decided it best to head for the ditch but hit a hidden stump, flipping him and the bike into the air. He was wearing a T shirt and a half helmet. The best he remembers is the back of the bike came up and struck his face. His lower jaw is still wired together and they are still trying to fit dentures for his lower teeth which were knocked out.

Now, you can say that was a freak accident but in these parts deer are a huge problem, one that the local riders are well aware of. He admits he took that blind corner too fast, but, what the hell good does that do him now?

No, I'll keep wearing as much protection as I can. I don't feel inhibited at all, it's all in how you look at it.

My two cents.

The following 6 users liked this post by BassCatcher:
Andy from Sandy (01-27-2019), Joe from So Cal (05-11-2019), ktp1598 (11-16-2019), L8Braker (01-26-2019), majsmith (11-03-2019), roadkinglobo (05-01-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-18-2009, 12:40 PM
the_old_one_two
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Put it to you this way:

Cruising on a nice curvy road = Awesome
Your face cruising into the pavement = Not Awesome

Cruising around in town = Awesome
Your face cruising through someone's back window = Not Awesome

Cruising down the highway = Awesome
A rock cruising into your face = Not Awesome

Crusing down some other highway = Awesome
A bug cruising into your mouth = Not Awesome

Are you getting the picture? Awesome!

Image is lame. The 60's are over. Cover up that grill and dome with the best you can afford!

The following 2 users liked this post by the_old_one_two:
crusader1xxx (02-04-2019), shorelasHD (05-03-2019)
Old 11-18-2009, 12:50 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing humble to your opinion. People wear or not wear helmets for their own reasons. I don't care myself if they wear them or not. Helmets can save a face or brain. They also block the view and add weight to the head --which can impact the neck. People die wearing them--people die not wearing them. Sometimes your the bait --sometimes your the fish.
Originally Posted by Greenfed
Call me crazy, but full face helmets and cruisers just don't mix! I can see "touring bikes" on a long haul but cruisin' the open road? Come on! For me, Harleys mean freedom. Why have a full face helmet? If you want to feel protected and enclosed, buy a car! If you want to feel more secure, buy a big car! If you want go fast, buy a Japanese bike and then you can use your full face helmet. But don't go cruisin' to enjoy the scenery and wear a full face helmet. To me, you look like a Mexican wrestler! Sorry if I offend anyone, but this is just my humble opinion! Now that I have my Harley, it's a half helmet and shades only because I'm in California and there's a helmet law! Freedom and enjoying the scenes and sounds of the open road! Now that's what it’s all about!

Old 11-18-2009, 01:00 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Try 25-35 degrees at 65 w/o a FF helmet, then let me know how you feel. Once you're thawed out that is. FF helmets offer protection, NOT glamor.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:02 PM
crazyman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in hot sweaty Florida I wear a modular helmet when I ride to work. Too many bad drivers not to. I wear a 3/4 or shorty when I'm riding with my riding club. If it's a all day ride, I might wear the FF. I agree with letting those who ride decide. No need to make it mandatory.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:26 PM
mikeingoshen
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wear whatever you want what does it matter, i wear a half helmet, an icon jacket more appropriate for a sport bike because it fits nice i like it and it has all the protection, and doc martens or old chuck taylors on my dogs... i probably look like a rolling contradiction but i don't care it's what i want to wear... if someone wants to go full pirate on their bike more power to him, if someone wants to go euro with the skin tight full leathers and plastic mohawk on their helmet, awesome... it's a personal decision and wear what you're comfortable with...

Old 11-18-2009, 01:28 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenfed
Call me crazy, but full face helmets and cruisers just don't mix! I can see "touring bikes" on a long haul but cruisin' the open road? Come on! For me, Harleys mean freedom. Why have a full face helmet? If you want to feel protected and enclosed, buy a car! If you want to feel more secure, buy a big car! If you want go fast, buy a Japanese bike and then you can use your full face helmet. But don't go cruisin' to enjoy the scenery and wear a full face helmet. To me, you look like a Mexican wrestler! Sorry if I offend anyone, but this is just my humble opinion! Now that I have my Harley, it's a half helmet and shades only because I'm in California and there's a helmet law! Freedom and enjoying the scenes and sounds of the open road! Now that's what it’s all about!

I get what you're saying..I wear a 1/2 but will be getting a full and will wear it depending on the weather and where I'm riding...picking bugs out of your teeth is not fun.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:29 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not this **** again!!!

Old 11-18-2009, 02:57 PM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 754 Likes on 478 Posts

i wore ff back in the day when i had a rice rocket, when i bough my HD it was a brain bucket or nothing, that changed last year when i got hit in the face by god knows what. broke my eye socket. now its ff for me and the wife. and i really dont care what anyone wears on there head. after all it is your head. do too it what you like. just my .02 cent worth.

The following users liked this post:
Huggerbugger (11-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Full face helmets for Cruisers?