General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmets for Cruisers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 06:34 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,735 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by Oilhed
Get a Shoei Neotec 2 - #1 It's a Shoei!
I currently have a Shoei RF-1200 and Im happy with it but Im always interested in what else is out there. 6D helmets interest me because they use a suspension system to isolate the inner and outer shells from each other reducing brain injury from head rotation and so on. The same technology found in open car racing and no doubt nascar. Ive seen air bag vests and airbags that stabilize the helmet too, all great ideas especially because you don't notice they're there until needed.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:21 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,397 Likes on 2,934 Posts

It's a damn shame Western Powersports decided not continue importing these helmets. Kabuto helmets are top quality, and the Ibuki modular I have was rated almost as quiet as the Shurberth. All I know is, I'm happy with it.

Full face helmets for Cruisers?-t2knw6q.jpg

Old 02-05-2019, 11:18 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,664 Likes on 2,675 Posts

There are a number of factors that determine my riding attire at any given time. Not one of them revolve around the opinion of another man.

The following 4 users liked this post by FNGonaRK:
Jehu (02-05-2019), Nokkon Wud (02-05-2019), sailmotion (02-11-2019), warprints (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 12:49 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Guys, its a 10 year old post...

Last edited by uncle kebo; 02-05-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:03 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes, ten years old, but still relevant.
I don't dress for the "Look" when I'm riding - usually armored jacket, armored gloves, FF helmet, and sometimes armored pants. Yeah, it's safer just to drive the car, but that's not the point. As illustrated above, a very low speed incident can have dramatic consequences. I'd rather not loose half my face in a low speed get off, or have a bone exposed when the flesh is ground down (been there done that with exposed bone, thank you).
As to ventilation in a FF helmet, the better (expensive) helmets generally have excellent ventilation. I ride in 90+ temps in high humidity for a good part of the year, and no issues with heat in the helmet (Arai most of the time, but Shoei if riding with SO).

Last edited by warprints; 02-05-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:27 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,003 Likes on 2,817 Posts

A helmet is one thing and I wear it a lot of the time. But in 50 years of riding I've never felt the need to dress up like a ninja turtle or engage in Walter Mitty-like fantasies as to wear a full GP style racing suit. Heck I've never even owned a pair of chaps. The day I'm that afraid of crashing is the day I stop getting on the thing.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:40 AM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,256 Likes on 1,096 Posts

A helmet is one thing and I wear it a lot of the time. But in 50 years of riding I've never felt the need to dress up like a ninja turtle or engage in Walter Mitty-like fantasies as to wear a full GP style racing suit. Heck I've never even owned a pair of chaps. The day I'm that afraid of crashing is the day I stop getting on the thing.
There are a number of factors that determine my riding attire at any given time. Not one of them revolve around the opinion of another man.
Kinda like Hey Man above. I take rider safety seriously, but don't dress out of fear. I can also see FNGonaRK's point above and don't dress because of what others say. I often wear a FF helmet when it's cold. Sometimes FF also on interstates to avoid noise and debris of trucks. Often a half helmet in summer. Sometimes leather jacket and chaps when cold. I dress how I feel on a given day. Always a helmet, always jeans, always gloves, always boots though.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:25 AM
JustMike
Tourer

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

For me - wear a helmet, always have, always will. In my early twenties when I was young and immortal. Had a low speed knock off. The passenger side mirror of the vehicle struck my helmet/head. Fortunately, the only damage to me or the bike. Was some scrapes and a broken shift lever.

Originally Posted by Greenfed
Call me crazy, but full face helmets and cruisers just don't mix! I can see "touring bikes" on a long haul but cruisin' the open road? Come on! For me, Harleys mean freedom. Why have a full face helmet? If you want to feel protected and enclosed, buy a car! If you want to feel more secure, buy a big car! If you want go fast, buy a Japanese bike and then you can use your full face helmet. But don't go cruisin' to enjoy the scenery and wear a full face helmet. To me, you look like a Mexican wrestler! Sorry if I offend anyone, but this is just my humble opinion! Now that I have my Harley, it's a half helmet and shades only because I'm in California and there's a helmet law! Freedom and enjoying the scenes and sounds of the open road! Now that's what it’s all about!

Old 02-06-2019, 10:02 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Long lonesome highwayman
If I wear a FF in 90 degree weather after a short period of time I feel lightheaded and my head is covered in sweat. What good is having superior protection in the event of a crash if it's going to increase your chances of crashing in the first place?
In hot weather, if I wear the FF, I leave the shield up and wear safety sunglasses. Usually under the drop down sunshade in the Shoei GT Air. I should wear the FF 100% of the time. I dip Copenhagen 100% of the time which I shouldn't. The Shoei is so much quieter even with the face shield up than the Lucid Ultra Light but heavier. There is a give and take but my dome security should come first.

Every spring I tell myself I will wear the FF all summer. Hasn't happened yet.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:35 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

This will be my first Florida summer or any summer for that reason with a modular. Time will tell..

Quick Reply: Full face helmets for Cruisers?