Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Full face helmets for Cruisers? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/419195-full-face-helmets-for-cruisers.html)

Greenfed 09-30-2009 11:08 AM

Full face helmets for Cruisers?

:icon_nut: Call me crazy, but full face helmets and cruisers just don't mix! I can see "touring bikes" on a long haul but cruisin' the open road? Come on! For me, Harleys mean freedom. Why have a full face helmet? If you want to feel protected and enclosed, buy a car! If you want to feel more secure, buy a big car! If you want go fast, buy a Japanese bike and then you can use your full face helmet. But don't go cruisin' to enjoy the scenery and wear a full face helmet. To me, you look like a Mexican wrestler! Sorry if I offend anyone, but this is just my humble opinion! Now that I have my Harley, it's a half helmet and shades only because I'm in California and there's a helmet law! Freedom and enjoying the scenes and sounds of the open road! Now that's what it’s all about!

Chicago Bob 09-30-2009 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Greenfed (Post 5655860)
:icon_nut: Call me crazy,

OK, you're crazy! Either that, or you put too much sugar on your Cheerios this morning.

crashin 09-30-2009 12:00 PM

I'd like my family to be able to have an open casket if they want. Not too mention if I do live through an accident I'd like to still have my nose and chin.

If you see the helmet graphic that was posted a while back the majority of damage on helmets are in the face area. I will agree that I would not mandate helmets, but I would still wear one most of the time. I wore a full face helmet on my Sportster and I wear a full face on my Ultra. I still get the feeling of freedom and the open road, but I am protecting myself. In the end it is all about what risks you are comfortable with taking. My comfort level varies and at times I'll take my helmet off for a short jaunt.

I guess what I'm saying is your statement is pretty narrow-minded. In order to appreciate someone else's viewpoint you have to be able to see their motivations and you are only seeing your own.

Greenfed 09-30-2009 12:15 PM

Point taken Crashin'! It is my own view and only my own and I don't pretend to speek for anyone else.

EZ48 09-30-2009 12:30 PM

To each his own but when face meets asphalt it makes no difference if you were riding a Harley or a Hayabusa.

tomcat0818 09-30-2009 12:31 PM

I'm glad I have the freedom to be unfashionable.

dhowie 09-30-2009 12:38 PM

The full face is nice @ 50 degrees F @ 75mph

Greenfed 09-30-2009 01:00 PM

My apologies to everyone! I was looking at it through the eyes of a Californian. The weather here in central California gets extremely hot and there are lots of beautiful things to see. Especially cruising the coast. I agree that there are circumstances where a full face helmet would be beneficial, i.e. highway speeds, inclement weather, etc. And I know some locations make it next to impossible wearing anything but a full face helmet. I spent six years in Michigan and I would never wear anything but a full face helmet there. But, when conditions are optimal, I think a cruiser would be much better off in a half helmet. When you're sweating your as@%$ off at slower speeds in a full face helmet, it's kind of hard to enjoy anything! Just a thought!

justjohn 09-30-2009 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Greenfed (Post 5656335)
My apologies to everyone! I was looking at it through the eyes of a Californian. The weather here in central California gets extremely hot and there are lots of beautiful things to see. Especially cruising the coast. I agree that there are circumstances where a full face helmet would be beneficial, i.e. highway speeds, inclement weather, etc. And I know some locations make it next to impossible wearing anything but a full face helmet. I spent six years in Michigan and I would never wear anything but a full face helmet there. But, when conditions are optimal, I think a cruiser would be much better off in a half helmet. When you're sweating your as@%$ off at slower speeds in a full face helmet, it's kind of hard to enjoy anything! Just a thought!

Then you buy a flip up, best of both worlds

EZ48 09-30-2009 01:20 PM

No worries Greenfed. You'll get thousands of opinions on HDF about helmets. I know where you're coming from with the hot weather being here in AZ myself. During the warmer months I wear an ACC half helmet but also sport a Shoei modular when the weather gets cooler. Most of the guys I ride with wear no helmet at all. That's something I've just never felt really comfortable with.