Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Harley Winter Storage (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/420253-harley-winter-storage.html)

NewfieRocker 10-01-2009 08:11 PM

Harley Winter Storage

Looking for some thoughts from Harley owners who live in the midwest to northeast. I live in Newfoundland Canada and our winter would be consistent with the areas above. I just purchased an '08 Rocker C and it is currently enroute from Colorado to Newfoundland. I have a climate controled storage module booked for this winter to store my bike, However now I'm turning my attention towards building a garage or shed.
Any thoughts on building an insulated garage which I will have to heat all winter versus building a shed (uninsulated garage) which there will be regular temperature changes. The Rocker C has a lot of chrome which i'm afraid may show corrosion if the bike is not properly stored.
Seems guys at work are 50/50 some say insulated heated garage is the only way to go but they say if I don't leave the heat on everything inside will rust due to condensation and lack of air flow. Others say Build the shed and put in the bike and don't worry, I will be better served with letting the temperature vary just make sure there are lots of vents for Air Flow and don't put on a cover to trap moisture.
I would really appreciate thoughts from the people who really know, you current bike owners who are getting there rides ready for storage like myself.
Thanks So much
NewfieRocker

streeteagle 10-01-2009 08:52 PM

I keep my bike in an unheated garage, no cover, no problems with condensation or rust. I do put a good coat of wax on the chrome before storing though.

John75 10-01-2009 08:56 PM

Some guys I work with just take out the battery, put in fuel stabilizer, plug the exhaust because of mice and cover the bike in there sheds. I know none of them have had a problem with rust etc.
I am paying $300.00 for winter w/ heated storage at my local HD dealship. It includes putting the battery on trickle charge and in spring changing all fluids etc. as part of the storage agreement.

sddyna 10-01-2009 09:09 PM

I also store my bike in an unheated garage. Like Streeteagle said just wash and apply a good coat of wax to the chrome and painted surfaces before storage and you will fine. I also use a cover but leave the bottom open and park the bike on a rubber mat to keep moisture from coming up from below. I have done that for years with no problems. Make sure you put steel wool in the exhaust outlets to keep rodents out and DO NOT start every couple of weeks. That will cause condensation to form in the motor and in the oil. Just put a battery tender on her and let her sit until spring or when you can ride long enough for to fully warm the engine for awhile. Good luck and enjoy the Rocker

Rockrat 10-01-2009 09:42 PM

I live in Colorado and have mine in an unheated storage area. Wax it, fuel stabilizer (SeaFoam), and disconnect the battery and put it on a battery tender. Also put it up on a lift to get the tires off the concrete floor.

jason628 10-01-2009 10:05 PM

Greetings,

I kept my Rocker C (and now Wide Glide) in an unheated garage, on a rubber mat, with Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer, battery tender, and under a cover. Never have had any issues at all.

lh4x4 10-01-2009 10:36 PM

Take the battery out. In cold storage the best think you can do is get a big drop plastic drop cloth and unfold it longer and wider than the bike and then wrap the bike up and use tape to seal. This will keep the humidity from changing and sweating inside the engine cases. Get a disicant (sp) bag and seal it inside also which will absorb much of the humidity. A car restorer said the best storage he ever saw was in an unheated garage where a old Packard was left sealed in plastic as I described. Doesn't cost much. Big plastic tarp, tape and the bag thingy.

electricstart 10-01-2009 11:01 PM

unheated garage With cover. Battery tender. Wish I had heated space.

Blue SOG 10-01-2009 11:14 PM

mine don't get "stored"... they get ridden year 'round.

DZLDR 10-01-2009 11:46 PM

What's winter storage???