General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PA State Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:24 AM
jvg521
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PA State Inspection

Does anyone know how long PA state inspections are good for? I just got my bike in March and they inspected it at the same time. It expires this month. Are bike inspections only good for 6 months rather then a year? If so, do people actually get theirs inspected twice a year? What about other states? I'm thinking I'm just going to sit on it till the spring and take my chances with the popo.

Last edited by jvg521; 10-05-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:07 AM
steel insane
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jvg521
Does anyone know how long PA state inspections are good for? I just got my bike in March and they inspected it at the same time. It expires this month. Are bike inspections only good for 6 months rather then a year? If so, do people actually get theirs inspected twice a year? What about other states? I'm thinking I'm just going to sit on it till the spring and take my chances with the popo.
A year.

Considering the fine riding weather we gots right now, I'd wait til spring. Not many riding days left here...

Old 10-05-2009, 07:17 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by steel insane
A year.

Considering the fine riding weather we gots right now, I'd wait til spring. Not many riding days left here...

Old 10-05-2009, 08:45 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jvg521
PA State inspection is good for 12 months, and the date matches your vehicle registration. You said you got your bike in March 09? What date the Owner's Card expires?

Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,830 Likes on 8,405 Posts

There was a thread on this a while ago and a few people posted that when registering a bike in PA for the first time it is good for 6 months. After that its good for a year.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
There was a thread on this a while ago and a few people posted that when registering a bike in PA for the first time it is good for 6 months. After that its good for a year.
Sorry to disagree but I just titled, registered and inspected my 2009 Ultra Classic in PA. I bought it Aug 1 and the registration expires Jul 31 2010. The inspection I did last week has a sticker expiring in Jul 2010 too.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:42 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are no inspections in Oklahoma. No safely checks, no emissions test and no helmet law. There's only one disadvantage. Being called and Okie from Muskogee.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Depd53
Stage I

PA state insp. are good for 1 year. but if u stay outta yuppie arears like new hope, or outta NJ (police state). u will be fine. must PA towns wont bother u

Old 10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
jvg521
Intermediate

I think the reason why it was so screwy with me was because I bought the bike in Florida and had it shipped up here. But even still, I didn't get it inspected until my PA registration came. I guess I'll find out in the spring when I get it in...I'm not wasting the money on it now with the winter coming.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:50 AM
nighttraingirl
Tourer

The short answer is yes, they are good for a year. IF you get them inspected at the right time.
I tried to explain this before, and I don't think anyone believed me.
There is a chart for cars and one for motorcycles. They are different. The
Inspection periods for motorcycles are governed by Pennsylvania law. Motorcycle inspection expirations are based on the expiration of the vehicle’s registration and can be found in the chart below:
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ons/Chart4.pdf
There is a different chart for cars and trucks. And a third chart for semi annual inspections. It depends on if the place that inspects your bike reads the right chart.. If you want to read the whole thing here is the whole page
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/inspectio..._faq.shtml#Q07
If you read that you will see that cars no longer necessarily have matching registrations and inspections, anymore, either.

If you, meaning the OP, wait till next year to get your bike inspected, say in March, and the place does it right, guess what, it will expire again in September 2010... So you can run illegal every winter, or you can just go get the bike inspected now and then every September after that.

Frenchbikers bike falls under the chart, too.

Mine are totally wrong. I think the place I took them didn't know what they were doing.
Harley reg is March 2010 inspection is due this month Oct. 2009
Yamhaha reg is March 2010 inspection is due June 2010
Explain that one.
Feel free to be confused. Everyone else is.

Last edited by nighttraingirl; 10-05-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: PA State Inspection