General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It ain't looking very good for HDI

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:44 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ohio, I agree, but if the Gov. doesn't start living within it's means, things are going to get a lot worse, regardless of what we do.

Old one two, no shots from here, but if they stopped with either the TC or Evo, they would probably be out of business, a few years from now........Thanks to the good ole EPA......Like it or not, air cooled will most likely die and be replaced with water cooled. I don't like it, but then there are a lot of things I don't like, that are probably coming round the corner.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:49 PM
FBTRIKE
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
I think the downsizing of models and dealerships is a good idea, too. The boutique dealerships must have exorbitant overhead and a lot of product has to move to keep one of those KMart sized stores in bidness.

Yes, the H-D logo is world famous but linking it to foreign manufactured stuff is going to backfire, imho. We are going through a time very similar to the 1930s now and nationalism will probably be a big thing like it was c. 1941 ... I hope I'm wrong ...
BigGdawg, I can't agree with some of your opinions of trikes, but I do agree on the road our nation seems to be headed.
I hope we're both wrong!

Old 11-20-2009, 12:51 PM
the_old_one_two
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FBTRIKE
Ohio, I agree, but if the Gov. doesn't start living within it's means, things are going to get a lot worse, regardless of what we do.

Old one two, no shots from here, but if they stopped with either the TC or Evo, they would probably be out of business, a few years from now........Thanks to the good ole EPA......Like it or not, air cooled will most likely die and be replaced with water cooled. I don't like it, but then there are a lot of things I don't like, that are probably coming round the corner.
The only time I'll ride a water cooled bike is when it is raining!

Old 11-20-2009, 12:56 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by the_old_one_two
The only time I'll ride a water cooled bike is when it is raining!
My bike is water cooled - - when it's raining!

Old 11-20-2009, 01:33 PM
twowheelstoo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
Yes, the H-D logo is world famous but linking it to foreign manufactured stuff is going to backfire, imho. We are going through a time very similar to the 1930s now and nationalism will probably be a big thing like it was c. 1941 ... I hope I'm wrong ...
The idea of the current Harley Davidson being an all American motorcycle is more a HD marketing invention than anything else. Yes Harley is a mostly American owned and it's main manufacturing and design operations are in the US, but it is a small company by motorcycle manufacturer standards, so it purchases most of the components from outside manufacturers, most of which are Asian. For instance the Showa shocks on your HD are designed and manufacturered in Japan as are the brakes. Most motorcycle tires come from offshore, etc. Mirrors and other chrome components mostly are made in China. The VRod engine was designed by Austrian Engineers working for Rotax, a division of the Canadian company Bombardier that makes airplanes, trains, and snowmobiles. The fuel injection system on HD bikes was designed and produced offshore. A lot of Jap bikes are actually designed in the US and cars like Hondas, Toyotas and Mazdas get both designed and manufactured in the US. Determining a products nationality is not that easy anymore. Very few complex products like a motorcycle contain content that is exclusively from one country.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:45 PM
mikeingoshen
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twowheelstoo
The idea of the current Harley Davidson being an all American motorcycle is more a HD marketing invention than anything else. Yes Harley is a mostly American owned and it's main manufacturing and design operations are in the US, but it is a small company by motorcycle manufacturer standards, so it purchases most of the components from outside manufacturers, most of which are Asian...
i gotta call the BS flag on this, most of harley's bike components are made overseas and asian? i gotta get some verification on this before i swallow it... this is either total BS or the poster is using hyperbole...

Old 11-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Chicago Bob
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing difficult about what's going on at all.

For years, people have been buying on credit with no means of paying back the money. Banks, mortgage companies, credit card companies, lenders of all types were only interested in getting their up-front money and packaging the bad loan they know they just approved into a bundle of good and bad loans for others to buy for cents on a dollar.

So, plenty of houses were built, cars, motorcycles, high end electronics were made and sold on credit. Neighborhoods now sit deserted, cars are being repoed, the easy credit is (thankfully) gone.

One should not expect that the volume of building homes, cars, motorcycles, whatever is going to continue at the old pace. There will still be these things but at a much reduced production rate. And it is going to stay that way for a LONG time. If production did suddenly go back to the rate of just a few years ago, that means we haven't learned a thing from the easy credit days.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:23 PM
the_old_one_two
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chicago Bob

For years, people have been buying on credit with no means of paying back the money. Banks, mortgage companies, credit card companies, lenders of all types were only interested in getting their up-front money and packaging the bad loan they know they just approved into a bundle of good and bad loans for others to buy for cents on a dollar.

So, plenty of houses were built, cars, motorcycles, high end electronics were made and sold on credit. Neighborhoods now sit deserted, cars are being repoed, the easy credit is (thankfully) gone.

One should not expect that the volume of building homes, cars, motorcycles, whatever is going to continue at the old pace. There will still be these things but at a much reduced production rate. And it is going to stay that way for a LONG time. If production did suddenly go back to the rate of just a few years ago, that means we haven't learned a thing from the easy credit days.
Very well said, +1 on this one.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:57 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

One thing I did happen to notice with that finacial statement is that they STILL MADE A PROFIT and are paying a .10 dividend. That is a lot better than a lot of companys are doing.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:58 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Chicago Bob

I agree with you about 90%. The one thing that could drive a maintainable uptick in production is foreign markets. China is going to be a monster consumer country in a few more years. Once they bust loose the companies that are positioned to sell their brand will make out well. It would be a hoot if good ol' American Iron becomes a status symbol in China.

And don't let the whole communist thing throw you, the Chinese now have a taste of consumerism and pretty soon the whole little red book thing will slowly fade away.

India is another country that may explode soon, the pay is rising very steadily there ( as more and more of our IT jobs move there ). Within 5 years you will see them as either a major purchaser of world goods or as a radioactive spot on the map, courtesy of Pakistan.

Quick Reply: It ain't looking very good for HDI