General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating on 96" engines?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:15 AM
sawinwa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerdave
Easiest and cheapest thing on a near stock bike is to add a couple of the IED devices to the O2 sensors. That richens up the idle/cruise mixtures and cools the engine off. Lots of people use them and they work.
That's what I did... got the XiED from nightrider.com and that enriched the fuel mixture enough to help the bike run cooler, with better low-end grunt, and barely affected the fuel mileage. Only about a $100 plug-n-play change that you can do yourself in about a half hour.

As others have said, it's not really an "overheating" issue... except for YOU when riding in hot weather!... but just more of a lean-running condition that a minor change like this can fix. Or, the major mods you do (later?) can also cover it.

Enjoy!

Old 11-28-2009, 11:26 AM
JerryL....
Banned

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
As stated above, they do tend to run hot.

I might suggest you look into a tuner first (maybe the TTS), break in the motor, then add the other things later. The TTS can be remapped to adjust for the mods you have in mind without difficultly and that seems to be the most effective "fix" for the heating issues.

Good luck!
They run what Harley says is normal for this engine.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:40 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

bought a 10 SG in august, been kickin the idea around since I bought it about what I was going to do about the heat from the cat. After riding it for the last few months (approx 4000 miles) and renting one in arizona a few weeks ago and running around in the desert when it was 90' decided just to put on a SE Nightstick muffler and leave it stock till it goes off warranty. It really does run great and now it sounds right with the new muffler.. Know eventually I'll buy that S&S air cleaner and some new pipes but for now I'm just gonna ride the **** out of it.....

Old 11-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by plutnicki
Really? This website says they do?

http://www.nightrider.com/parts/

I've been thinking about getting a set for my Deluxe.
Well, finally!! I imagine that Frenchbiker is in the same boat I've been in for the past year. Nightrider had trouble getting the IED's to work with the 09 touring models. The other 09 Harley's weren't a problem so getting them for your Deluxe wouldn't have been an issue anyway. As of the release of the 2010 models, and a full year of tinkering, they still hadn't gotten them working to their satisfaction on the 09 touring models. I'd pretty much given up on it after literally checking the web site every month or so for the past year and being told they still don't work. After all this time, I hope they got it right!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Last edited by Intrepid175; 11-28-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:44 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Road_King_Rob_78
........... Has anyone out there found a perminant fix for the over heating issue?

Thanks in advance,
As others have mentioned, they run warmer because of the lean fuel/air ratios. There are a few things that work: synthetic oil, oil coolers, and fuel management. I use all three and never had any problems.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:55 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Never seen one overheat. They will shut themselves off if that would happen. Do a stage 1 with a/c, slip ons and fuel management and top it off with Amsoil and you'll be fine. Or, ride it stock and see what happens under warranty.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:33 AM
Devil Dog
Tourer

Wow! Someone actually suggested to someone in the "Big Sandbox" that they add "IED's" to their bike? That could take on a whole 'nother meaning with a Vet. Of course I am just giving the OP a hard time. God Bless our men and women who are serving and who have served. If the Corps would take me back I would be there in a minute. But they say I am too old. What kind of BS is that??

Old 11-29-2009, 07:15 AM
07fxdb
Tourer

I don't think you have much to worry about on the newer bikes. Rear cylinder ignition shuts off at a set temperature, then acts as air pump, cooling oil and motor. Adjustment to injection/ignition map on 07 and before, already there on 08's and up, I believe. My 07 will shut off rear cylinder at stop lights if I am waiting for awhile, then ignition/injection kicks in as soon as I disengage clutch or engage throttle. Funny smell and sound, but happier motor, and rider. Syn3 helps too.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:34 AM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Syn 3, PC III for re-mapping & no probs here in the Pacific NW. In Eastern WA where the temps are significantly warmer no issues either. I don't believe the rear cylinder shutdown on 08 or earlier models. I believe the 09s & newer however do.

Clay

Old 11-29-2009, 09:41 AM
donohu90
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by truckerdave
Easiest and cheapest thing on a near stock bike is to add a couple of the IED devices to the O2 sensors. That richens up the idle/cruise mixtures and cools the engine off. Lots of people use them and they work.
Just what he needs when He gets back from Iraq, IED's

Quick Reply: Overheating on 96" engines?