General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes the best tuner

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:17 AM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Who makes the best tuner

I know this has been talked to death but I am a newbie when it comes to this. All my other bikes had carbs so I never had to worry about a tuner, not that I worked on my other bikes that much.
I have a 2012 sg, that all knows runs very warm. I also want to add some bass to the sound and get a few more horses. I am not looking at running the salt flats but if I could get up to my cruising speed just a bit faster, why not.
What I have figured out now for my stage one is going with the se ac, probably true duals to loose the cats and a toss between cfr and reinharts. Don't want to be to loud, just more of a grumble to let people know it is a harley coming up behind them. so for what I have, what I plan on getting, and what I want out of the bike, what do think is the best tuner for me. Also, unless super easy and can be put back to what was originally set on the tuner, I will probably have the dealer set the map for me.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:32 AM
jdm65
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with Powervision with a preloaded map from Fuelmoto. Couldn't be happier with results. The winpv software is very easy to use & understand.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:35 AM
gonzo3426
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've been using V&H over the years...plug and play, actually more time to play, did all the install myself...i let the dealer do my oil changes...

Old 07-04-2012, 08:22 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

I went with the Screamin Eagle Race Tuner solely on the recommendation of a good friend who has been a mechanic for many years.... no regrets although pricey.

Here is his website for any of you who need a good indy in the Phoenix area.

http://wrench-fx.com/

Last edited by kanelakos; 07-04-2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: added website
Old 07-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rufasim
What I have figured out now for my stage one is going with the se ac, probably true duals to loose the cats and a toss between cfr and reinharts.
TunderMax W/Autotune is the $hi!!. IMO.. It all come down to $'s. how much you willing to spend?

If you run "True Duals" You're likely to loose a lot of bottom end torque....Just sayin'....

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Last edited by Harley Tim; 07-04-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Because I can
Old 07-04-2012, 09:57 AM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Tim
If you run "True Duals" You're likely to loose a lot of bottom end torque....Just sayin'....

Best wishes....Tim(HT)
If I do not use true duals, what other header might you suggest so that I can loose the cats. I guess this turned into a multi facet thread. Best tuner. Best headers

Old 07-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Harley Tim
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rufasim
If I do not use true duals, what other header might you suggest so that I can loose the cats. I guess this turned into a multi facet thread. Best tuner. Best headers
I'm not "up to speed" with what's out there for the newer models, But this I know. Any exhaust W/ a power chamber will give you "low end" benifits in the torque department.

As seen on my Avitar, I like V&H.

Check out my 1st post for an eddit. I like TunderMax!

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Old 07-04-2012, 10:29 AM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

I went with the Powervision. I like that I can carry different maps with me and just flash whatever tune I want. You can also get new maps as you continue to modify the bike, and it is not a piggy back unit so it does not need to stay on the bike.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Fatbobiron
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't want to shell out the big bucks for the SE race tuner.....
There are several others on the market.
I had two mechanics tell me the "auto tuners" are having some minor problems with the stock fly by wire systems.

I have no experience with that , however, one of my buddies has had some issues with this on his road glide with an auto tuner...(I'm not sure which brand)

I went with the Python Mamba duals, (Made by Vance and Hines)..I liked the slash cut better.
I went with a Mo Flow air cleaner and the Vance and Hines Fuel Pac.

To me, It goes through the RPM range much,much quicker...It seems like there isn't a 1st gear at all, very quick up to 5500 rpm's in 2nd..and so on unti I hit 4th....then finally, some big quick and fast top end.

I'm not sure about the low end torque. It's hard to judge without riding a stock bike and then immediately getting on a stage one bike.

I absolutely love the reduced heat with the cat gone. This may be the best benefit of all.
It's smoother,quicker,faster and COOLER.

I love the sound as well. It's not loud unless you open her up...I love the low rumble when cruising etc.

My 2 cents....

Old 07-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a terry components tuner and the V&H power chamber header and V&H twin slash round mufflers on my last bike. That worked well.

I just installed the V&H power chamber header and rinehart 4" rounds on my current bike, but took it to Harley to get the SERT and a dyne tune. It's ready but I threw my damn back out yesterday and wouldn't be able to ride it home.

I went with the V&H Duke air filter & cover this time around. It looks nice.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best tuner