General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chesters Harley Davidson - Mesa AZ

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:21 AM
RK100
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't think H-D doesn't know by now that this is a "wear item" and should be checked then you better start looking on this forum and others because there are many photos and stories depicting that exact issue. Yeah, some last, some don't but regardless what H-D manual says I would definitely be checking them if I was a dealer and was selling a used bike with over 30K mi. on it. Period! That's called "being pro-active". Not only that, but you put a "bad taste" in that customers mouth in regards to your dealership. In this economy today you better try to keep all the customers you can!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:44 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

PT Barnum is trying to reach you.......

Originally Posted by Gutman
You have no clue. It is not a service interval to check. 30k is a good point to check them but there is not guarantee their wear limits are at this interval. The dealer cannot be responsible for this. They did their part and provided a good service. People like you will never be satisfied.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by ftanner
That's precisely why I suggested Buddy Stubbs to him. That seems awfully early for a dealer sold bike to have a major issue, even if it was used.
Why would he go to another dealer when Chester's took care of him (and that he has a service plan with)? I would agree with you completely if Chester's blew him off or whatever.

I bought my 05 Glide from Chesters (they were still Chosa's though), and couldn't be happier. I don't use their service deptartment often (and didn't have to use the service plan that I got), but the few times I had to take it in, they took care of my issues promptly.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:15 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Glad to hear good things about Chesters ... Will be renting from them when do a Fly and Ride to AZ in April ...

Old 12-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Bluegrasser
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my FLHR from Chesters. I like the place a lot. It's a basic no-frills dealership unlike the big glass HD cathedrals most dealers are building these days. I got a good deal and get treated well when I go in there for parts. I'll continue going to Chesters until they do something to really **** me off which, honestly, I don't see happening.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:52 PM
midlife rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
Glad to hear good things about Chesters ... Will be renting from them when do a Fly and Ride to AZ in April ...
Jay - We used Chesters for our fly and ride this year and they were fantastic. Cindy is their point person for fly and ride and she is awesome. Free shuttle service to and from the airport/hotel. Can't say enough good things about the experience. Have fun.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:21 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks!!

Originally Posted by midlife rider
Jay - We used Chesters for our fly and ride this year and they were fantastic. Cindy is their point person for fly and ride and she is awesome. Free shuttle service to and from the airport/hotel. Can't say enough good things about the experience. Have fun.

Thanks for the Heads up .. Plan on calling before we fly out anyway ..

Old 12-09-2009, 08:22 AM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cryptoboy
Why would he go to another dealer when Chester's took care of him (and that he has a service plan with)? I would agree with you completely if Chester's blew him off or whatever.

I bought my 05 Glide from Chesters (they were still Chosa's though), and couldn't be happier. I don't use their service deptartment often (and didn't have to use the service plan that I got), but the few times I had to take it in, they took care of my issues promptly.
Because they charged him $2,200 to fix what they should have replaced to begin with.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:29 AM
ArizonaFalconer
Tourer

The fix was covered under warranty, so I didn't have to pay the 2,200. I do feel that they were obligated to do it. They were very nice though, and got it done in only a couple days. They gave me the plaque with the vintage bikes on it, because as far as they were concerned I just spent 2,200 at the dealership (you had to buy 350+ for the plaque or whatever)

I'm a little miffed they didn't replace the battery, but they did replace the clutch cable, and that is usually considered to be a wear item, so Overall I'm happy, and I will continue to go to Chesters for my Harley needs.

However, I will be trading in and purchasing a new bike here in a year or so (moving up to an 09+ SG or RG Custom) and It will either be Chesters or Superstition.

I WILL NOT buy anything from Chandler Harley though.

I was looking to buy a bike and when I told them I didnt know how other HD's rode, because I had only rode my sportster, and I wanted to test ride one Dyna, one Softail, and a touring they wouldn't let me. I WAS INTENDING TO BUY and they wouldn't let me. they gave me some bullSH*T about having to have a chaperone and having to get permission and everything. I Rode in on my sportster, obviously I can ride.

I went to superstition because they were having some weekend bash. I was talking to a sales guy there, and I told him I wasn't sure what type I wanted, but I thought the Fatboy was my favorite.

He said "Have you ever rode anything besides your sporty?"
I said "Nope"
He said "Well, we'll need to fix that, come over here."

He set me up on a 2007 Fatboy, and a 2005 Road King Custom, and offered to let me ride any used bike in their inventory.

Here I am today, owning a 2002 Road King. The main reason I went to Chesters was actually by chance. I wandered in there because I had 30 minutes to blow, and why not spend it drooling over bikes?! The RK I purchased was there, and for a good price, better than Superstition could match.

In hindsight though, I think Superstition may have matched the price, or at least made a competitive offer, and I probably would've fit better on a RK Custom, but Oh well, I love my bike either way.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:08 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ArizonaFalconer
The fix was covered under warranty, so I didn't have to pay the 2,200. I do feel that they were obligated to do it. They were very nice though, and got it done in only a couple days. They gave me the plaque with the vintage bikes on it, because as far as they were concerned I just spent 2,200 at the dealership (you had to buy 350+ for the plaque or whatever)

I'm a little miffed they didn't replace the battery, but they did replace the clutch cable, and that is usually considered to be a wear item, so Overall I'm happy, and I will continue to go to Chesters for my Harley needs.

However, I will be trading in and purchasing a new bike here in a year or so (moving up to an 09+ SG or RG Custom) and It will either be Chesters or Superstition.

I WILL NOT buy anything from Chandler Harley though.

I was looking to buy a bike and when I told them I didnt know how other HD's rode, because I had only rode my sportster, and I wanted to test ride one Dyna, one Softail, and a touring they wouldn't let me. I WAS INTENDING TO BUY and they wouldn't let me. they gave me some bullSH*T about having to have a chaperone and having to get permission and everything. I Rode in on my sportster, obviously I can ride.

I went to superstition because they were having some weekend bash. I was talking to a sales guy there, and I told him I wasn't sure what type I wanted, but I thought the Fatboy was my favorite.

He said "Have you ever rode anything besides your sporty?"
I said "Nope"
He said "Well, we'll need to fix that, come over here."

He set me up on a 2007 Fatboy, and a 2005 Road King Custom, and offered to let me ride any used bike in their inventory.

Here I am today, owning a 2002 Road King. The main reason I went to Chesters was actually by chance. I wandered in there because I had 30 minutes to blow, and why not spend it drooling over bikes?! The RK I purchased was there, and for a good price, better than Superstition could match.

In hindsight though, I think Superstition may have matched the price, or at least made a competitive offer, and I probably would've fit better on a RK Custom, but Oh well, I love my bike either way.
I sit corrected. I thought you said that they charged you $2,200. My bad.

The main HD dealership in the area that I would never go to is Hacienda HD.

My brother bought a bike from them through military sales and had about $1,100 worth of extra goodies put onto it... Those cheap bastards didn't even so much as give him a t-shirt.

In addition, they were the only dealership that I know of that charged admission. They even charged EXTRA to visit their custom bike building.

Quick Reply: Chesters Harley Davidson - Mesa AZ