General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered Howards air horns!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:59 AM
SingSing
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered Howards air horns!

cant wait till some asswipe cabbie or soccar mom pulls in front of my here in NYC! Heard alot about those horns! I ordered the Big Boy model. any tales to tell?

Old 12-20-2009, 08:40 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

A couple years back I ordered their little big horn. What a joke. the compressor wouldn't fit where they said to mount it ,under the horn cover. The bracket didn't fit any better. And once I had it where it looked like it didn't stick out too bad, I could yell louder then the horn. It now lays in the pile of "what was I thinking" in the garage.,,

Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This set-up ???????

Sure do, S.S. !!!

Some asswipe bykr skeert the chit utta me, when he 'tooted' it, JUS' TO WAVE, at us, whilst we were goin' thru a 'hectic' intersection on 65 !!!
I thought someone was "blowin' the STOP light". Took a couple o' seconds for the 'pulse' to come back down to 'normal'.

So, IMFUO, S.S., They WORK !!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Harpoonman
Club Member

We have a Howards on our Ultra. The tone is a little higher pitch than the Big Boy display at the dealership... but It has worked well for us so far. We have turned some heads and stopped some azzhats, and gotten the attention of some other azzhats, so they could see that I thought they were number one !..... I use mine often, especialy in the near-by college town. I haven't had any problems with mine.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:44 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the Howard's Duals and they are loud. I've got no problem being heard even with the dust covers installed. Also, as you can see in the photo the compressor fits neatly behind the slightly relocated cowbell.

See sigpic for a full view. BTW, The sissy bar bag is not normally mounted on the bike.

I originally bought the Stebel / Wolo air horn but because of the way I would have had to mount it on the bike for the trumpets to face forward I ended up putting in on my Jeep Wrangler. Both installs were relatively easy and a MAJOR improvement in horn sound.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:55 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

I checked into the Howard's Horns and ended up going with the Metalarts horn instead. I prefer the look of eliminating the cowbell and the installation on the Metalarts horn takes all of two minutes. Total plug and play.

http://www.customdynamics.com/metal_arts_air_horns.htm

Old 02-12-2015, 10:25 PM
Kacowboy
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Howard's doesn't make the Little Big Horn anymore. But I did manage to get the trumpet off Ebay. I am now looking for the instructions so I can make the mount to install. I plan on using a wolo replacement compressor they look the same.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:18 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
This set-up ???????

Had a set of these I bought at Harbor Freight mounted on my ST1300. Cruising down the slab one morning, I approach a Suburban weaving in the traffic lane. Ok, cellphone or drunk. It's 0800....I ease up on the left, window down on the side, some blonde with a cellphone clamped on her left shoulder, ciggy in her mouth, and both hands fiddling around with the papers in her sun visor. So I blast the horn, she jumps, and the phone flips out the window.

Select zone 5, extend, and fight another day!

Put a set on my Road Glide, and a set on my Pacific Coast!!

Last edited by phillyrube; 02-14-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:03 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,750 Likes on 6,195 Posts

They were junk in 2009, and they're junk now.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:33 AM
Kacowboy
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

From my understanding it's the mounts that Howards has issues with, not the quality of the trumpet. Also the Trumpet was under $20. Plan on using a wolo compressor. Just need to see what the mounts look like.

Attached Thumbnails Just ordered Howards air horns!-2015-02-12-13.34.46.jpg  

Quick Reply: Just ordered Howards air horns!