General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Specs, Specs...Who's Got the Specs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:40 PM
davidtn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Specs, Specs...Who's Got the Specs?

I ride an 02 Road King Classic. As I'm not even remotely an electrician (or even claim to play one on TV) do you good people have a recommendation as to what is the best source of finding out the specs on my bike in layman's terms of what it can handle for electronic "add-ons"? i.e. lights, Garmin, heated gear, etc.

I've also posted this question in the Electronics forum so please excuse me for posting here as well. I just know that more folks read the "General Harley Talk" section more than any other portion of this website.

Thanks for any help you guys steer my way.

David

Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant remember the amp pulls .... I never had a problem or do not know of any one who has had a problem by adding the things you mentioned.... you might want to ask a trusted service rep at your HD shop, if any. wish I could be of more help but I dont think you would have a problem with those add ons.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:35 PM
gascap13
Road Captain

Feel free to put any and all electagizmos on yer bike that every catalog that you own has in stock. If you have a charging issue you can always pull a trailer with a generator and run a charger back up to yer bike. On a serious note: unless you go overboard in a freak show of lights and every kind of heater you can find the stock charging system will be adequate.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:44 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts

IIRC, you have a 38 amp charging system. I know that they changed to 45 at some point, but I believe it was in 05 maybe?

Last edited by dawg; 01-05-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:47 PM
davidtn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gascap13
Feel free to put any and all electagizmos on yer bike that every catalog that you own has in stock. If you have a charging issue you can always pull a trailer with a generator and run a charger back up to yer bike. On a serious note: unless you go overboard in a freak show of lights and every kind of heater you can find the stock charging system will be adequate.
"freak show of lights"...LMAO.

I'm running a big trip all over the US/Canada this summer and will be camping the whole way, so the max # of things I want to be able to run consecutively are:
  • Gerbings Heated Jacket Liner/Pants Liner
  • Keep my cell phone charged while I ride
  • GPS
  • A set of two low amp LED spot lights (total draw of 1.5 amps)
Also - I always run with my HD driving lights on day or night.

Perhaps all this gear will qualify me as a freak show...

Old 01-05-2010, 09:52 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts

If you have any issues with all the doo-dads you want to add, you can upgrade to a 45 or even 50 amp three phase charging system that most of us now enjoy.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:39 PM
davidtn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dawg
If you have any issues with all the doo-dads you want to add, you can upgrade to a 45 or even 50 amp three phase charging system that most of us now enjoy.
Got any wild idea what they run? I know I can call my stealer tomorrow but just curious if anyone knows while I'm online tonight.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:18 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you flick the switch and your headlamp dims to a glow, you've exceeded your amp output. With what you listed, I doubt you'll have any problems. Its when you start adding on big horns, incandescent (not led) lamps, heated (grips okay) gear, air conditioning etc. you might have a problem.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:30 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

The best thing you can do is decide what you want for addon's,knowing their current draw, then upgrade your electrical to handle the load.The new 3 phase alternators will handle plenty.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

DH !!!!!!!

NLY 3 options available, at this point:

Mount one of these to the sissy bar,

OR,
One of these, to yur headbucket,

Or
The good ol' "stand-by",

Course, you could jus' tear the doors off the cage, and take that to haul ALL the gadgets.

Me??? Id' rather be lost, in the dark, outta cell phone range. BUT that's, ME, and my FUO, as "ooze-ual".

You'll be jus' fine.
Not sure what you peeps do, when the gadgets take a crap, but that's your issue, when the time comes.
And I'll DIE, when the day arrives, I "stop" to help a fellow rider, ONLY to find out, their Garmin, is NOT working, so they 'pulled over'. KISS my country azz !!!!!

Quick Reply: Specs, Specs...Who's Got the Specs?