General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my wife hates bikes..............

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:17 AM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine used to like to ride everywhere, now she like the comfortable thing in life and could care less about going for a ride. But she supports me and my love for Harley's , so now I got that solo seat mounted permanent.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:05 AM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife swore she would never ride a bike. Then one day in 1994 after I bought my first Harley (FXSTC) she nervously broke down and took a ride around the block with me. The next day I took her out on the highway, absolutely straight with no traffic for miles, and she got to be the pilot. She had never been on a bike in her life and had never driven one. We travelled for about 2 miles and she saw LEO coming towards us so she pulled over and never drove it again but went everywhere with me. Then in 2000 she started talking about how she might want to drive a bike. She was getting tired of bonking the back of my helmet with hers. I told her to take the Riders' Safety Course. 2 years later she went to visit her family for the summer and took the course. When she returned home, there was a brand new Honda Shadow ACE 750 in the driveway. She put more miles on that scoot in that summer than I had on my 94.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:25 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I was going to get married I owned 5 bikes at the time and was heavily into racing bikes. I told my bride to be, "don't come between me and bikes and we will have a good life". Well 36 years later, here we are and still riding. The wife doesn't ride anymore but, I have no problem as she let's me have all the riding time I want. You guys that might get married someday would be wise to have this same understanding.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:30 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time to trade her in.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:31 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've only dated/have married girls that like to ride. Makes that part of the relationship a bit easier

Old 01-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Dragan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No such problem here...my wife loves the bike as much as I do. MY biggest difficulty is getting away on solo rides. Back and forth to work isn't a problem, but the minute I start talking about taking a ride somewhere, she's getting her helmet and leathers on...
We have two bikes, but she's not interested in riding her own. End result is I've spent more money setting up the Sportster with quick detach backrest, windshield, bags, etc. so that she's comfortable, and I can still pull all the "stuff" off and ride it naked on the rare occasions I get to hit the road alone.
Sometimes, I think that we have to be careful what we ask for; you just may get it!

Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

I just started riding again last year after about 25 years. I bought a '09 Sportster to comute back and forth to work. Wife had no intrest in riding. I talked her into going for a short ride and a cager did something stupid in front of me, I had to crack the throttle and almost lost wife off of back(didn't have backrest). She said do something about that if I wanted her to ride. A month later we traded Sporty in on a '09 Ultra Classic. Now I can't hardly ride by myself, she got all her leathers and loves OUR bike. In fact she came to me a while back and said "let's go on a Yellowstone vacation this next summer"
She is my best friend and I know she started to ride for me, and realized it is way fun.
I will come home from work she will have dinner ready and her leathers sitting in the chair and I know she wants to ride.
I am so lucky

Old 01-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, last year, I had saved up enough "husband savings plan" $ta$h, to completely finish up the '78 FLH.

What do you think of the $4900 worth o' "parts" I bought ????????

Let her HATE 'em.
It'll be a LOT cheaper, in the long run !!!!

Old 01-11-2010, 07:54 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,422 Likes on 21,386 Posts

When the weather warms up go to your dealer, test ride an Ultra and then take your wife out on it; with the stereo nice back rest, etc. and she will probably never get off.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:56 AM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife used to like riding, but when we had kids, that was the end of it. She can't bear the idea of our kids losing both parents if "the worst happened". That is just the way it is, so I live with it and understand her outlook. Maybe it will change when the kids have left home, who knows what women are capable of?

Quick Reply: my wife hates bikes..............