Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Shipping a bike (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/467411-shipping-a-bike.html)

roofer 01-18-2010 03:10 PM

Shipping a bike

Anyone ever ship a bike in the northwest I just need to go about 200 miles over the pass, we sold a bike and I need to deliver it to the other side of the mtns, we started out yesterday with a trailer and we ended up spinning out and the trailer spun around and hit the side of the truck it was a thrill ride and we missed a headon by inches the good part is the bike didn't move I had 2 tie downs on the bars and it didn't budge so now the wife is freaked out about going over the pass again and I don't want to fight about it so any help out there

Ozoneman 01-18-2010 03:12 PM

Go to uship.com

hommes 01-18-2010 03:41 PM

Ozoneman

You can also try deliverittotheothersideofthemtns.com. Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm locked into the house all day. Winds here in the high desert of Southern California are hittin' 100mph with rain....never seen anything like it.

roofer 01-18-2010 05:23 PM

I know how you feel winter sucks

olddude48 01-18-2010 05:35 PM

It's a sign! Your supposed to keep the bike!:icon_lolsign:
Have you checked with the local dealer to see if they will haul it for you/
A set of cable chains and take it easy until you get over the pass might be cheaper.

Ozoneman 01-19-2010 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by hommes (Post 6114342)
You can also try deliverittotheothersideofthemtns.com. Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm locked into the house all day. Winds here in the high desert of Southern California are hittin' 100mph with rain....never seen anything like it.

uship.com does exist though. You can get bids and pick the guy you want to use. It works like ebay with reviews from previous customers.

CamFX 01-19-2010 09:20 PM

Someone from Bend loses it on the pass? I'm not sure i would admit that. (just kidding.) which way were you going? Up Hood or over Santiam? Or down to Eugene. All of them can be very unforgiving. i know, I drive a very large truck over the mountains quite often all winter long and ben doing it for close to 20 years. Did you consider putting it in the back of the truck and leave the trailer at home? Not ideal I know but easier to get down the mountain. i am very glad to hear that you are all okay. Too many times it turns out much worse. I know I am not much help, sorry.

roofer 01-20-2010 08:02 AM

We were going over 138 and it just started to snow mid 30's and I was just about to put it in 4wheel drive when we started sliding, I have been over the pass many times and never had a problem I'm thinkin that the trailer wasn't pulling true and thats what did it. So now we are down to one truck my work truck and if something happens going over the pass again I will never here the end of it but I will probably end up putting it in the back of my truck and taking it over

TheBlackBastard 01-20-2010 11:15 AM

Try "Forward Air". I think they only ship airport-to-airport though.

You could always rent a U-haul with unlimited mileage.

cptkinguru 01-20-2010 12:26 PM

I've got some free time this week. Buy my diesel and rent a one-way u-haul trailer and I'm in. I could use a road trip to Bend, I love it over there. Give me a call at 503.781.0001
JAKE