Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Leather jacket debate (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/471236-leather-jacket-debate.html)

cmtbasser 01-28-2010 09:14 PM

Leather jacket debate

I have a really nice basic HD 2x leather jacket, plain with the harley logo on the left chest no excessive buckles, skulls, or patches. The problem is its too dam heavily insulated so I rarely wear it(its like bran new). What to you all have? Mine would be perfect if it was just the leather outer with a liner and no heavy insulation. Does anyone know does the moco have one like that?

ezryder62881 01-28-2010 09:18 PM

you're kidding--right?

cmtbasser 01-28-2010 09:19 PM

nope

Originally Posted by ezryder62881 (Post 6165982)
you're kidding--right?

uh...no

ezryder62881 01-28-2010 09:20 PM

Is it genuine HD? Have you weighed it? It's obviously useless, being way too heavy and all--I'll take it off your hands for $20, IF you pay the shipping.

Cokie 01-28-2010 09:22 PM

$21.99 You pay shipping

mphamrick 01-28-2010 09:23 PM

I have one some what like that but here in the northeastern part of Oklahoma I need it and anything else I can put under it. If you go to your local HD store they should have something that you are looking for...

Bearcat1 01-28-2010 09:25 PM

I gerauntee you that the MOCO has one like that. And anything else you could imagine.

cmtbasser 01-28-2010 09:26 PM

yes

Originally Posted by ezryder62881 (Post 6166004)
Is it genuine HD? Have you weighed it? It's obviously useless, being way too heavy and all--I'll take it off your hands for $20, IF you pay the shipping.

yes its GHD an no, I am not really looking to sell it I just want to find one thats "lighter" I will wear this one on the cold days altough I rarely ride when its below 60.

gunner11 01-28-2010 09:26 PM

Just get two, I have a winter with heavy liner that stays in, a spring with a zip out vest liner, and a mesh for summer. two are leather, River Road, and the mesh is from leather up, which bythe way is a great jacket, Armor, waterproof loner and cold weather liner. It worked great at Sturgis last year.

cmtbasser 01-28-2010 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bearcat1 (Post 6166042)
I gerauntee you that the MOCO has one like that. And anything else you could imagine.

so far, Sherman, Allen, and Garland havent that I have seen on their racks. I will keep looking I was just wonderin if any others have found a lighter more every day jacket.

MNrider 01-28-2010 09:38 PM

I have the HD Torque jacket. The leather is so and it has 2 vents in the front and 1 in the back. It's a little on the heavy side but that's probably better protection anyway. It's not very warm in late fall so it could be what you're looking for. They have some nice perf jackets too.

strtarrow 01-28-2010 09:58 PM

I am just curious why if you live in Texas would you buy a leather jacket without a removable liner? I've spent plenty of time there and sure it can get chilly but not like Yankee chilly. If you have that much coin into it as I do mine I would suggest finding a tailor that would be able to make your jacket a convertible. IOW, perhaps they can remove the liner, tack it in with zippers. I have found such people to work on some of my leathers.

sgnden 01-28-2010 10:06 PM

Fox Creek Leather...with a zip out liner (may be too heavy for you but whatever - excellent quality stuff (and not covered with HD advertising).

Good choice unless you are really after feeding that huge HD Retail shop-o-rama that is the Moco these days...dealerships may as well have a Macy's (errr Nordstrom) sign on the front, I swear. All that "HD" schwag...not for me. It used to be rare...now it's just sooooo overdone IMHO. But yeah, good quality.

Aaaanyway...really? Man, hundreds and and hundreds of styles and manufacturers out there.

Fox Creek makes some of the best. Look em up.

cmtbasser 01-28-2010 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by strtarrow (Post 6166255)
I am just curious why if you live in Texas would you buy a leather jacket without a removable liner? I've spent plenty of time there and sure it can get chilly but not like Yankee chilly. If you have that much coin into it as I do mine I would suggest finding a tailor that would be able to make your jacket a convertible. IOW, perhaps they can remove the liner, tack it in with zippers. I have found such people to work on some of my leathers.

It was a gift from a friend in Tenessee that I kept books for for hail repair and the only "plain" one he could find.

Harpoonman 01-28-2010 10:15 PM

I like these better than anything I ever tried on at the MOCO.... It is thick leather, and is not light. My MC Classic I has a zip out liner that is long sleeve and has a detachable neck warmer. I love it..

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/mensjackets.phtml

cmtbasser 01-28-2010 10:24 PM

thanks I'll check it out.

strtarrow 01-28-2010 10:53 PM

My first leather jacket was a Bates I got when I was 12 years old. Now at 50 can't get it zipped up but it is by far the best quality leather I have EVER seen and still looks just broken in. My son now wears it. They have been in business for 50 years and I have never seen anyone else wearing one but if they are still of the same quality you can't go wrong. Mighty pricey at close to 7 bills but if you can afford it you will not be disappointed. People rave about the FXRG gear but I have not checked it out. If interested here is the link to Bates and this is just one of their jackets. They custom make them to your own measurements. http://www.batesleathers.com/streetw...pe=traditional

BTW, made in the USA!!!!

davessworks 01-28-2010 11:00 PM

Well - you get props for at least wanting to wear something protective when it gets warm. Nothing special about "genuine HD" leather. As others have said there are other choices. If it's a weight issue you might want to look for goatskin jackets. They provide a reasonable amount of protection with less heft. You're probably not in the market for a Langlitz - just happen to have them on my mind right now (probably going to order one tomorrow).

http://www.langlitz.com/

They have an interesting option -

http://www.langlitz.com/shirts.shtml

fairplay 01-28-2010 11:11 PM

I sort of understand. You are looking for a plain leather. Most of what the moco sells these days are all bling'd up. I opted for a domestic made jacket and even real leather. If it is moco it cant be too thick!

any way, take it to a tailor have them remove the stuffing

captjon37 01-29-2010 06:18 AM

I have a HD leather jacket only because i found it at 1/2 price at a Big Dog shop but if i needed to buy another one i would go with Foxcreek. Their stuff really looks good and made right here in the USA.

Long124 01-29-2010 06:39 AM

+1 On the Bates...I have one of their leather jackets and its nice. Yes you pay more but if you need a custom jacket they are good. You can get zip out liners, zippered vents and any color combo you might want and price wise once you get up into the pricey Harley coats the difference is not that much for something thats made for you. I was able to meet with them at the Chicago Motorcycle Show but they do numerous events. I also have a Z Custom Leathers coat also which Ive had for a while...good quality also.

cmtbasser 01-29-2010 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by fairplay (Post 6166578)
I sort of understand. You are looking for a plain leather. Most of what the moco sells these days are all bling'd up. I opted for a domestic made jacket and even real leather. If it is moco it cant be too thick!

any way, take it to a tailor have them remove the stuffing

that may work, I do know there are a ton of non HD but I am kind of a homer and like having the HD logo on there. I am glad you said blinged I agree but didnt think of that word.

pled55 01-29-2010 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by cmtbasser (Post 6165961)
I have a really nice basic HD 2x leather jacket, plain with the harley logo on the left chest no excessive buckles, skulls, or patches. The problem is its too dam heavily insulated so I rarely wear it(its like bran new). What to you all have? Mine would be perfect if it was just the leather outer with a liner and no heavy insulation. Does anyone know does the moco have one like that?

try fox creek or one of the others vendors here on the forum .i'm sure they would have a lighter jacket or go with some of the other materials that are used like nylon they are just as warm but lighter with body armor in the elbows and shoulders.ride safe

im 01-29-2010 07:43 AM

Not HARLEY branded but,
May wish to consider motorcycle closeout they have deals on brand new "last years" models of stuff most times, Limited selection and sizes.
They have this jacket but only in larger sizes
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/c...leather+jacket
This other web location also has new models and old models with good prices/selection and offer very random deals on close-outs...the close-out prices sometimes are very low but sizes are very limited. If you sign-up they sometimes send you coupons.
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/

Pacodelahoya 01-29-2010 07:44 AM

yes its GHD an no, I am not really looking to sell it I just want to find one thats "lighter" I will wear this one on the cold days altough I rarely ride when its below 60.
Wish I could say that. If I set 60 as a benchmark, I would only ride about three months a year and very few of the nights!! Last year, about two months.:(

2of2 01-29-2010 07:45 AM

I went with the HD Codura nylon jacket. It is lightweight, warm, and doubles as a rain jacket. I bought matching pants and they both keep me warm in the winter and dry in the rain. No need for seperate rain gear. They roll up and fit into my bags. I keep a sweatshirt in my bags for those extra cold mornings. I rarely wear my leather anymore and never wear my chaps. i have found that layering works well, especially here in the desert where temps can fluctuate as much as 50 degrees in a matter of hours.

HalfFast 01-29-2010 07:53 AM

I like the HD Leather but it, simply, is not in my price range. Not that I can't afford it but more like I wouldn't give them what they are asking for any of their leather jackets. If you want a top quality leather jacket or leather anything and don't want to pay a fortune for it, check out www.rockinleather.com . I have two jackets from this company and both are top quality and I gave less for 2 of theirs than HD asks for one of theirs.
If you are one of those folks that just have to have Harley Davidson on your clothes, you can buy from rockinleather and then take it to embroidery shop and have them embroider anything you want onto the jacket or you can buy an HD patch and sew it on. Either way, you get as good as or better quality than HD with the bling for less than half the cost.

smittypac 01-29-2010 08:04 AM

For warm days I went with a leather shirt from Barneys. Scored it on eabay for $40. T-shirt, or jersey under.Throw vest over top and it works well. I also have my tried and true Bates. One of the best jackets I have ever owned. However I have been drooling over a Langlitz of late. I keep watching ebay they come up once in a while.

Texas Fat Boy 01-29-2010 08:11 AM

Check out the "Nevada" jacket by HD.

It only says "Harley-Davidson" on the snaps, not all over it like most HD jackets.
It has a removeable liner and vents front and back.

FLHTCU Owner 01-29-2010 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by cmtbasser (Post 6165961)

The FXRG (stands for Functional Riding Gear), would be the solution. It's liner can be removed and it is vented. Have several buddies that have it. It's pricey ($600). I opted for the Fox Creek version and you can pretty much wear either one until it hits the 90's. For the really hot days, get a mesh flow-through jacket.

oldncrzy 01-29-2010 09:42 AM

I hope this is not a thread hijack but:
I find the HD stuff IS expensive. However, I bought a vest from them ,the least expensive - under $100.00ish- and it is great quality leather. I also bought some assless chaps years ago and they are also high quality. I also think the bikes are overpriced but don't they seem better quality than Japanese bikes?? (Except fo the carb fart problem I mentioned in another thread). I dunno, it maybe just me.....:icon_teeth:

fat_tony 01-29-2010 10:10 AM

hot weather leather

If your looking for comfort in hot to mild weather conditions consider either perforated leather or a leather/cordura reinforced ballistic mesh jacket. They both flow a lot of air and you stay cooler in stop and go traffic. They are ideal in the 100F to 70F range and work in cooler temps with the liner installed.

Rev'It Ignition
review: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362208
http://assets1.revzilla.com/product_...jpg?1235160522

AlpineStars NYC
http://www.newenough.com/image/path/...jpg?1203995318

Olympia Viper
http://assets2.revzilla.com/product_...jpg?1235172167

Big_Al47 01-29-2010 10:29 AM

Another vote for Foxcreek. I have one of their vests and it is great quality. I have some generic leather jacket right now with a removalbe liner, it still looks good and works fine, but when it is time to replace, I will call upon Foxcreek again

RutRoo 01-29-2010 12:30 PM

Over the years I have managed to get 4 leather jackets.. 1 generic with the insulated zipout liner that is used when it gets really cold(below 30 degreess).. a H-D with the skull and zippers and stuff that I bought off a discount rack for $100.. it is about useless.. it has too many zippers and lets a lot of cold air in.. another H-D jacket with zip out liner that I wear with the liner zipped out until in gets to 30 degrees.. bought off the discount rack for $120.. a H-D jacket that is preforated.. no armour protection.. works great in the summer.. wear it from 65 degrees up.. have worn it on 95 degree days.. great jacket.. bought on the discount rack for $65.. Harley jackets are good jackets but are priced way too high.. look and look often at the dealers discount rack and watch for clearence sales.. Fox Creek has good jackets but they never have a discounted discount sale.. I did buy a sleevless vest and some assless chaps from Fox Creek on their Blowout sale site..

NSCoyote 01-29-2010 12:48 PM

i wear a 20+ year old jacket a buddy of mine who cant ride no more gave me, i wear it in -10 and +30 degree weather

leicafish 01-29-2010 01:08 PM

I actually have two leather jackets and a mesh for real hot day. I do not agree with getting jackets that have zip liners. I have seen guys that have this jacket that do not fit right (michlen man effect)when the liner is out.

Harley does make jacket Stock Jacket come to mind.

I personally use Langlitz with two different leather thickness's.

Good move on your part to keep the lined jacket you never know.

Curlybill 01-29-2010 07:54 PM

I bought two new jackets off ebay for about half price the Moco price. One is a heavy leather , insulated etc for winter. The other is an aeriated jacket. It has got little holes pinched in the leather. It can be hot when you stop but as long as you are moving it is ok.

txfxstrider 01-29-2010 08:19 PM

Get a Harley FXRG leather jacket. Removable liner, removable soft armor, more pockets than you will ever need, zip open vents and just an all around excellent motorcycle jacket.

mavrickFLHR 01-29-2010 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by gunner11 (Post 6166051)
Just get two, I have a winter with heavy liner that stays in, a spring with a zip out vest liner, and a mesh for summer. two are leather, River Road, and the mesh is from leather up, which bythe way is a great jacket, Armor, waterproof loner and cold weather liner. It worked great at Sturgis last year.

I do the same thing gunner. An HD FXRG for winter, early spring and late fall, a generic leather for fall and spring, early mornings and night riding. And a HD ventilated lightweight leather I found on sale for the summer..

Cheers

mavrick

almost forgot.. A Langlitz is on my list..

krazy3 01-29-2010 08:31 PM

I don't wear my leather unless it's colder also. I wear this one

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...S&default=true