General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip on vs. full exhaust--need help!!

Old 01-30-2010, 05:04 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
Been said in here many times.
Pipes only don't have to have anything else done.

The Rush pipes will add somewhere between 2-5 more HP.
I've had them for 3yrs now and got them when lot of people never heard of them, there great sounding and nice workmanship..

Three yrs ago they used to say 2'' was perfect to use and lot of guys around here in central IND. have them, but when I talked to a Rush tech last Sept. they are now saying that U can still use the 2'' but the 1 3/4 will give a little better low end performance.

A little more back pressure with them over the 2''. I think the 2'' are a little deeper but they are close to the same when U git on her...

I had stg1 and cams done so the 2'' is perfect for me. If U later do that they will even sound deeper and more........ powerful......

Either of the above will make a big difference and wake the sound up..U wont be sorry unless U want the top in performance, then, U'll need a 2-1 system...
Just put a ebay bid on 2" Rush slip ons. Tired of guessing if it will work and majority says it will. Figure I can always change air and get p/c later. Okay...nobody else bid on these pipes and all will be well.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All good advice above. I had RUSH slip ons before i got my Vance & Hines BSS.
I can only add if I had it to do over, I would of went straight for the full set of pipes right off and skipped the slip on stage. They sounded great etc etc, but I realized I should of taken the slip on money and applied to my full set of pipes.
That's just me....and my $.02

Old 01-30-2010, 06:30 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Soft06
All good advice above. I had RUSH slip ons before i got my Vance & Hines BSS.
I can only add if I had it to do over, I would of went straight for the full set of pipes right off and skipped the slip on stage. They sounded great etc etc, but I realized I should of taken the slip on money and applied to my full set of pipes.
That's just me....and my $.02
__________________________________________________ _____________

Thats a good point,, I am not up to date on the CAT's in the new bikes yet. Don't know if there in the headers or mufflers either. Haven't read or heard that much on them..

I almost done a 2-1 system when I added the cams last yr,,,, but after reading and looking around at all the different pipes I could find, I wanted to hear them in person,,, I ended up keeping mine.. The HP and TQ I am losing just didn't matter as much as I like the sound of what I have.

Now iff-in I ever do a 103 kit I'll probably be look-in at the 2-1's again..

Old 01-30-2010, 08:27 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sort of in the same situation as she is....though I do know where the cats are (in the mufflers) on my 2010 Super Glide. I want them out.....and the consensus seems to be that a set of slip-ons and XiED's should rich'n it up a bit. I don't mind the quiet sound, my Valkyrie Interstate has 6 unbaffled cobra straight pipes, and when I want to wake the neighborhood up or set off car alarms, that's the ticket!

The XiED's look like they should be simple to install....is there much in the way of wire bundle problems when you replace the old harnesses with the new...or is it a pretty clean replacement?

I just want the S G to run cooler for greater longevity....not concerned about comfort, but that extra heat from the lean FA mixture (combined with the cats) can't be good for an air-cooled engine.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:51 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Extended Engine Life

Originally Posted by krusty1
I'm sort of in the same situation as she is....though I do know where the cats are (in the mufflers) on my 2010 Super Glide. I want them out.....and the consensus seems to be that a set of slip-ons and XiED's should rich'n it up a bit. I don't mind the quiet sound, my Valkyrie Interstate has 6 unbaffled cobra straight pipes, and when I want to wake the neighborhood up or set off car alarms, that's the ticket!

The XiED's look like they should be simple to install....is there much in the way of wire bundle problems when you replace the old harnesses with the new...or is it a pretty clean replacement?

I just want the S G to run cooler for greater longevity....not concerned about comfort, but that extra heat from the lean FA mixture (combined with the cats) can't be good for an air-cooled engine.

You hit into my major concern, the Cat holding in all that heat! It ain't so bad in the wind but on hot summer days in traffic they are tough on an air cooled engine.

The XIED's just plug in, you unplug the cable that runs to the o2 sensor and they just snap in between the o2 sensor cable and the ECM plug side.

A snap to install and a snap to remove if you have to take the bike to the dealer!

The touring guys have it tough, the 2010's all have them in the headpipe! They have to buy the whole header, the slipons make it easy to dump them for some of the 2010 models with the cats in the OEM muffler.

If it don't kill the looks of your bike, I'd give the Jagg 10 row oil cooler some thought, some even put the fan kit on them if you spend a lot of time at idle in traffic. The Lanale Head fan is not bigger than the horn cover it displaces and some of the city guys swear by them.
This is over kill on a cruiser unless you spend a lot of time in traffic on hot days.

Of course the total cure is replacing that EPA CAM and getting a good tune. If you looked at the 2010 Emissions standards you can see why they leaned em out and hung a cat on em.

No big deal, we mod em anyway, just part of the Harley Tax

Old 01-30-2010, 11:54 PM
ewalker302
Advanced

The only thing I have done to my 09 dyna is 2" rush slip ons. They do sound awesome compared to the stock pipes, nice and deep with no popping, or any other problems. I did not notice any "seat of the pants" changes in performance, but just the sound alone is worth it.

I do have a pcv, and stage 1 a/c waiting for me to install.

I got a killer deal on the slip ons. I was at a dealer, and started talking to one of the younger salesmen. The conversation got around to mods, and I mentioned I was looking for some slip ons. He said he has a super glide and only put about 200 miles on his rush slip ons, then bought v&h short shots. He offered them to me for $150. When I came back the next day I said I would give him $120 being used and all, he said ok the last guy he tried to sell them to never came up with he money, and he just wanted to get rid of them.

Well turns out he goes to his truck and brings out his entire stock exhaust, 2" slash out rush slip ons, heat shields, clamps, and bolts, all looking brand new.

That was a good day.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:32 AM
RiverWolf
Road Warrior

Rush 2.0 slip-ons.
Dealer did remap and air cleaner, stage 1.
Don't know why you would need Power Commander?

Old 01-31-2010, 04:11 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

pipes better! i started with slip ons but seems like half the job! full system now! regardless which way you go do it yourself!! slip ons really easy,and full system little harder but still not difficult

Old 01-31-2010, 06:23 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Rush pipes are awesome. I've had them for two years with no problems at all. Love the sound. You need not buy anything else unless you want to. Go for it!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:01 PM
BAD WOLF
Stage I

Originally Posted by FLYSBY
Okay, boys. A little help?
Having trouble finding information and the Dyna guys were helpful, but someone suggested sending this question out to the whole gang so here goes. Have a new 2010 StreetBob and looking to put Rus slip ons. Went to dealer today and they sent me home with a list of over $1000 in parts, labor, and dyno work. They tell me I need new air intake, Power Commander, dyno work, etc. First, the work will be done by hubby and pals, second, I only want a little extra sound. Don't need more power. Can't imagine ever needing to go faster than my bike goes now. Some people seem to get real excited about this question. Probably something you have seen on here thousands of times but I am new member. Help a girl out??
Hi there, if you need any help with your bike just let me know write me back mueller49@aol.com and I will do my best to help you out, have a sweet day, Rudy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slip on vs. full exhaust--need help!!