General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Try This Type of Lift/Stand for Cleaning Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 01:37 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone Try This Type of Lift/Stand for Cleaning Wheels?

Already have a nice J&S stand for doing repairs.

I need something that's quick & light, just raise the front or rear wheels for cleaning.

Any opinion on these two? Which would you get?

Anything better out there?

Thanks

http://www.redlinestands.com/catalog...er-stand-p-760

http://www.redlinestands.com/catalog...e-center-stand

Old 05-12-2012, 02:21 AM
Gaston434
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i made a lift similiar to this,,, albeit not as nice,,, however you will be better off getting a decent lift that can get both whels off the ground. they cost about twice as much as the better one you posted, but you will be better off.

Darryl

Last edited by Gaston434; 05-12-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:21 AM
Gaston434
Intermediate

double post,,deleted

Last edited by Gaston434; 05-12-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:41 AM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gaston434
i made a lift similiar to this,,, albeit not as nice,,, however you will be better off getting a decent lift that can get both whels off the ground. they cost about twice as much as the better one you posted, but you will be better off.

Darryl
re-read his post, he already has a proper lift, he just wants something for cleaning his rims lol.

**** - save yer $'s and just do 1/2 the rim and roll the bike frwd a bit and do the other 1/2

Last edited by Midgard; 05-12-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:38 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
Already have a nice J&S stand for doing repairs.

I need something that's quick & light, just raise the front or rear wheels for cleaning.

Any opinion on these two? Which would you get?

Anything better out there?

Thanks

http://www.redlinestands.com/catalog...er-stand-p-760

http://www.redlinestands.com/catalog...e-center-stand

The original bike lift tool before the fancy jacks and cheap table lifts . I still have the one I slapped together out of water pipe 35 yrs ago to change a flat at work one day . They work just fine if you don't mind sitting on the ground or need to pull a wheel .

Old 05-12-2012, 06:05 AM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Do your self a favor the farther off the ground you can work the better, ask my worn out bones.....lol

Old 05-12-2012, 06:56 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Lifts

There is a "sticky" in the Dyna forum about making one out of wood and pipe. I made one about 5years ago from 2 2X8s and some black iron pipe and covered it with a little carpet to protect the bike frame.
The lift that I use the most is a Black Max scissors jack. It's easy to get under the bike and it's lift range easily lifts either the front or rear wheel. I use it much more than either the whole bike jack or the wooden one.
BTW Harbor freight sells a roller for your wheels that you ride the bike onto and you can turn the wheels without lifting the bike.

Last edited by dyna rider; 05-12-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:16 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

That lift was way over priced. Shoot, you can get a HF full bike lift for damn near that.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:01 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a folding one similar to the second one - they do work and are quick, don't take up much space and whatnot but take some practice to use them. They have to be positioned just so to lift the rear wheel on a Dyna due to the oil pan guard, front isn't so fussy but still takes some practice to get it right. The bike also tends to slide back and forth on the bar if you are doing much of anything on it, it even slides a bitwhen it comes to rest on the arm. I usually hold the bike upright with my hand on grip while positioning the lift in the right place (again, practice) but at some point you have to take a leap of faith and let go of the bar - no issues so far but it always worries me a bit. As far as washing goes, they are a bit of a pain because once you are done with one wheel, you have to drop the bike and lift the other end instead of just moving one. I plan to get a JS or Pitbull one of these days, it will be much easier and from the videos they look much faster to lift and no balancing act to get the bike up there or down again.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:43 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

just use your j&s, it doesn't take that long to lift, and it lifts your bike high enough that you can sit on a stool and be comfortable while you do your wheels.

Quick Reply: Anyone Try This Type of Lift/Stand for Cleaning Wheels?