General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1940 Servi-car

Old 02-03-2010, 03:41 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Investment

Poor choice for a first Harley to ride but a great investment if you are getting it for a good price.

Harley has recently got back into the Trike market. The new Tri Glide and the down scale Street Glide trikes have spurred a new interest in the old Service Car.

I think Harley is missing the boat by not going back to a service car for sale to municipal townships and for police and delivery work. Water cooled of course but it sure helped Harley survive the depression.

I love those ol things, will have a great resale value if you do the right kind of restoration!

Old 02-03-2010, 04:14 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Curby
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You guys are great

Thanks for all the replies. I am learning about these old vintage bikes. We have a great museum in Birmingham, called Barber Motorsports Park. I will have to check out his Servi-car displays.

I think the bike might be a good find. Maybe not the best bike for cruising around, but I do love driving my Vettes in the local parades, so having a slow moving Harley might be cool.

This is her last few posts about the bike:

Hi, Jeff
My dad collected vintage Harley's before he passed away and my mom would like to sell the last one. Do you have any friends that restore vintage Harley's? She has an 1940s police trike about 80% completed in south Alabama in her barn. It is a pretty bike. It is turquoise and white with a poplar box.

I'll see what Mom has about the bike. When Dad was sick, he told her all about the bikes and she wrote it down. I think Dad acquired the bikes as basket cases somewhere. He hired a guy to restore them. The guy did beautiful work but had medical problems and never finished. Two of the bikes were in Vintage Quarterly magazine but Mom already sold them (one was orange with a sidecar, my favorite). I haven't seen this one in awhile but I remember Dad was very proud of it because it was rare. I think there were only about 250 produced that year.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Curby
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Information

"It is a 1958 Police trike. It has the motor and main body. It is about 85%complete. She has all the parts, tires, everything is in her barn related to it. My Dad estimated that it would take about $2000 more work to complete it. The handle bars are there but off. It is teal and white. It has white leather seat and a wooden box made out of poplar wood."
I will make a visit to the "barn" and take some pictures of it. She needs new A/C for the house, and I happen to work for Trane, so I might just make a trade for the bike and all the parts.

I am sure there is not much of a market for partially assembled motorcycles out there, so I will be trying to get this on the cheap.

Being since he hired out all his restoration work, and he had a couple bikes featured in a magazine, the restoration is probably top notch work. Let's hope so.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:52 AM
mayanruben
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Servi's are a hoot, parts are scare, but what the hell.go with your heart..ruben

Old 02-04-2010, 03:56 PM
dirtyharryfxrt
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep us posted in you findings, sounds like you need a later model bike so you can ride as soon as it warms up.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Bacardijim
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is mine

Attached Thumbnails 1940 Servi-car-servi-2.jpg