General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Rookie Error

Old 01-31-2010, 06:42 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Stupid Rookie Error

So, I'm installing my RSD Venturi/K&N air cleaner kit and I get to the third of three screws that bolts the backplate to the throttle body. It seemed to be going in more difficult than the others,until about 2/3 of the way in, I realized that I had cross threaded it. I tried backing it out slowly, only to snap off the head of the screw! Arghhhhhhh!

These screws are 1/4 20 3/4" so I went to hardware store and explained my issue to them. They suggested a "Pro Grabit" which upon inspection looked as if it would do the job. I have a very good DeWalt variable speed drill, so this looked like the trick.

I got home and tried for a half hour to get the extractor in and take hold so I could screw it out, but could not get it to work. So, asking for any advice. Do I have the right tool? Would an "Easy Out" work any better? I even tried starting a pilot hole with metal drill bit, but the Grabit would not penetrate this screw (chrome). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TedMan

Old 01-31-2010, 06:46 PM
shake rattle n roll
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bet it you are working on a stainless bolt
Can you get it from the back with vicegrips ?

Old 01-31-2010, 06:56 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

Actually tried to get vice grips and pliars on it first, but just not enogh room and there's very little sticking up to grab. Good question, though. I guess it's stainless with chrome finish. The RSD instruction sheet says it's chrome?

TedMan

Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

Get a Left handed drill bit, drill carefully at slow speed, it will cut into metal faster than high speed. If it doesn't come out while your drilling then use an easy out.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:07 PM
bikermama
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubby said use the easy out, if there's any way to heat the screw area it works much better, then use the easy out to take it out while its warm

Old 01-31-2010, 07:16 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,096 Likes on 1,023 Posts

If all else fails, take the throttlebody off and take it to a machine shop. They can get the screw out OR drill and tap a new hole in the same place. .........I've been in this situation before with a propane regulator on a irrigation engine .

Old 01-31-2010, 08:52 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing, if you start getting irritated walk away. We all can do some irrational stuff when pissed. That little voice saying "What the hell" in the back of your mind can be a real PITA sometimes. LOL

Old 01-31-2010, 08:54 PM
blair
Tourer

I have been in this instance many times , and the best solution is the right drill bit and easy out . Do not use heat as some one eles sugests as you are very close to a fuel suply.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Craig4711a
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a guy here in Los Angeles that uses a laser to disintegrate the bolt and swears it doesn't even hurt the threads. He was at the service counter at the Harley dealership. The Harley service guy says they use that instead of easy outs if they break off a bolt or screw. I had never heard of it, but it sounded pretty cool. Just a thought.... If you can find such a thing, you'll still have to chase the threads that you cross-threaded. Good Luck......

Old 01-31-2010, 09:47 PM
shake rattle n roll
Tourer

Originally Posted by Craig4711a
There was a guy here in Los Angeles that uses a laser to disintegrate the bolt and swears it doesn't even hurt the threads. He was at the service counter at the Harley dealership. The Harley service guy says they use that instead of easy outs if they break off a bolt or screw. I had never heard of it, but it sounded pretty cool. Just a thought.... If you can find such a thing, you'll still have to chase the threads that you cross-threaded. Good Luck......
Will it disintegrate larger things ?
Sorry i had to ask ...it could help me clean my shop out...
Being a smart a$$ here lol

Hows the bolt doing ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stupid Rookie Error