General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSRP - Did You Get a Lower Price?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:53 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts
Default MSRP - Did You Get a Lower Price?

A co-worker of mine used to be a regional Dealer rep for HD. I asked him how most Dealers compensated their sales rep, commission or salary. I also asked if Dealers would sell below MSRP. He told me that all the Dealers accross the USA have all agreed to NOT sell below MSRP.
Has anyone experienced getting a selling price BELOW MSRP?

My local Dealer is starting to tell everyone that due to Harley's production cut-backs, new bikes will be in shorter supply and may return to the "old days" of when you had to "get in line" just to buy a new model. In light of the current economy and Harley's recent quarterly loss, I find this hard to believe. I would think Dealers would be tripping all over themselves for the chance to sell a new $20,000+ motorcycle.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:12 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
My local Dealer is starting to tell everyone that due to Harley's production cut-backs, new bikes will be in shorter supply and may return to the "old days" of when you had to "get in line" just to buy a new model. In light of the current economy and Harley's recent quarterly loss, I find this hard to believe. I would think Dealers would be tripping all over themselves for the chance to sell a new $20,000+ motorcycle.
This is exactly what is going to happen. I don't know if there will be a waiting list, but production is and will continue to decrease. Supply and demand. The problem is the credit crunch. Not everyone can walk in and pay 20k cash and selling big ticket items require people to buy on credit. If Harley continues to make as many bikes as they did say 4 years ago, then there would be a lot of bikes sitting in dealerships. Which would in turn lead to dramatic price cuts, and lower the value of current bikes

Old 02-09-2010, 12:27 PM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unquestionably there are dealers that sell below MSRP. You may have to venture out and seek them out but they are there. Whip me beat me but let me fly somewhere and buy a new bike for $1000-$2000 below MSRP and ride it home. Dealers with attitudes and poor service will eventually be the first to go in the crunch. Those witrh great service and reputation will make it through and flourish in time.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Clearly understand the supply and demand phenomenon but where will all those Dealers be that spent millions on those new dealership buildings that can house 100+ bikes? In the greater Phoenix area there are atleast 6 dealerships that "upgraded" their facilities to meet HD's demands. I know Motorclothes contribute a ton to their "bottem line" but it wont replace the cash cow big iron bikes.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

because while those dealers are upgrading, others are closing

Old 02-09-2010, 12:48 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

It's all about timing when you buy. If you find a bike that's been on the floor a while, you have a better chance of bargaining. I bought my last one in April 09, and got $1K off of MSRP. So yes you can get them for less, but not always. Production cutbacks could affect how much they are willing to deal. If your willing to walk away and be patient you will have a better chance at finding a deal.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 PM
mid evil train
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got my Left over 09 Silver SG for what I believe to be below MSRP. I gave them 12,300 cash, and my 07 Yamaha FJR 1300 out the door. No shipping, set up, dealer fees or added taxes. MSRP on my silver SG is 19,500. Now they most likely sold my yamaha for enough to make up the difference.

But as stated here before, I didnt walk in and out in one day with that deal. The first day they wanted a grand more cash, so I left. About three days later , they called wanting me to come back in, but I didnt go. Over the next three days, they called me each day. Finally I went in on a Sunday, and they did the deal. I know they wanted to move the leftover 09 and get it off the floor.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:17 PM
FLHX08
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There may be some truth to what you've been told about not selling below MSRP. The dealer I buy from http://www.benbreecehd.com/ use to advertise Sportsters and previous year left overs below MSRP. They now aren't below MSRP but have in store credit towards parts or accessories.

On another note, when some dealers say their selling at MSRP, they then add freight and set up to make a bigger profit. the freight and set up charge varies from dealer to dealer, along with documentation fees.
The link I gave sells at MSRP, with free freight and set up, which is why I've bought 5 bikes there over the years.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:29 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i do believe we are going to go back to what your dealer said less bikes produced and less to sell and put on the show room floor.

It has always been said that harley mandates that dealers are not to sell under MSRP and not to do alot of other things. Over the years dealers got creative with giving out gift cards etc. From the rumors iam hearing the MOCO is about to change some things and force the hands of some dealers to quit there internet online sales, quit there promo sales and 20% off sales and sending out the flyers and info for this. This is just rumor but sounds like alot of shops went to the moco and started complainning about some of the sales practices of other shops and what they were doing and sounds like the moco is going to implement some tougher rules sounds like the moco basically wants all dealers to be the same and if there is a sale or discount its a company wide deal that HD itself promots thru the dealers like the sporster deal, the $500 extra on jap bikes, and the clearing out and discounts on left overs each year.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:44 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Things may be changing in the future as a few people above me have posted, but I've bought two bikes from Chicago HD, and got 2 G's off of sticker with no freight or set-up fees. Be a cold day in hell before I pay sticker for a car, truck or bike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MSRP - Did You Get a Lower Price?