General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biref ride on a Yamaha Roadliner

Old 07-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Biref ride on a Yamaha Roadliner

ORIGINAL: Ouiser

I've seen a few roadliners in person. The bike is just too big if you ask me. It seems to go on forever. Sounds like it handles better than I would guess from it's appearance. If I wasn't sure that I wanted a Harley, I would probably try out some of these other bikes.

Also, I'm not sure where you can buy a VTX1800 for 9k, they list for over 13k on Honda's site.
Walk into a dealer, tell them you want one, then walk out when they give you the price.
They will deal like a used car salesman to sell you one...

Old 07-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for review, interesting to see what the other stuff is like.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:31 PM
tread
Outstanding HDF Member

DOWN WITH THE RICE!!!! YAMAHA SUCKS!!!!!

Old 07-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Bluerose

Thanks for the review...I'm one that likes to test ride the new stuff myself when I went shopping for my bike I choose not just on the Harley name but on the fit of the bike for me. I didn't have a preconception that Harley was the only bike that I would buy but glad it is the direction I went.

I had heard once before the the Yamahas had some good torque. We were talking about my Yamaha 650 vs. the Honda 750 and my Yamaha won.

I saw the new Roadliners and found them to be just to big in size for me. Seems they want to make a "big" cruiser. The lines aren't bad definately a step up from the VStars in style but just too big. Honestly they have taken some of the women out of thier equations by not offering a bike that is a bit lower then the roadliner and more powerful then the VStar.

Hubby has a 2002 VTX 1800 and does say it is "front heavy" but at this point he loves the bike and has chosen to keep it in lue of going to a Harley. THe VTX doesn't fit me or my riding style either but is a nice bike.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:10 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you took a shower when you got home.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:33 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It's kinda like Yosimite Sam says...
OOOOO! I'm a gonna have to burn my boots, they touched Yankee soil!

Old 07-27-2006, 01:38 AM
rrlavigne
Cruiser

You can in New England .... sales everywhere ... that's why my resale is so low!
ORIGINAL: Ouiser

I've seen a few roadliners in person. The bike is just too big if you ask me. It seems to go on forever. Sounds like it handles better than I would guess from it's appearance. If I wasn't sure that I wanted a Harley, I would probably try out some of these other bikes.

Also, I'm not sure where you can buy a VTX1800 for 9k, they list for over 13k on Honda's site.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:46 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

The Roadliner S is definitely the best looking japanesse bike out there. Nothing else comes close. I thought about buying one but as they are almost 15k I thought why not pay a little more and get what I really want.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:07 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let's be honest, Harley has been playing catch-up for several years now.
Technology just for technology's sake makes things more complicated when they're not necessary. Bigger and faster engines are not necessarily better. If Harley has been playing catch up, why do Kawasaki and Yamaha now offer pushrod, air cooled v-twins?

Air cooled for simplicity. V-twins for torque and power where you need it, in the low rev range. Parts that are available for bikes made decades ago. If something works well, you stay with it.

The V-rod is a higher tech machine but they don't sell nearly as many compared to the big twins. BMW put servo assisted brakes on some of their bikes. Higer tech? Yep. More things to go wrong? Yep. Does servo brakes work that much better than what was on there? Heck no. More money, more problems, more parts, more of a pain in the tuckus.

One of the reasons I like Harley Davidson motorcycles is because they are evolutionary and not revolutionary in their design and progress.

Old 07-27-2006, 02:14 AM
rrlavigne
Cruiser

Personally I find the styling of the Road liner to be a little too over the top for me. I think the standard Roadstar is a much nicer bike. But then again ... it's Yamaha's answer to a Harley and i love Harley's so that makes sense. Air cooled, push rod, belt final drive ... the most HARLEY COPY metric out there. I had one years ago with the extra driving lights, an air filter that looked like an S&S and bags like a Road king in a two tone paint job and even Harley riders thought it was a Harley until they got real close or saw the transmission cover.

I think the road liner looks like an old 1950's toy train! I'd wager it's a great bike though. This is a Harley site so we all love Harley's but truth is now a days MOST motorcycles are good machines. It's a matter of personal taste and style which company you're going to buy from. They all make great motorcycles! Harley has the history of being one of the original American based motorcycle companies and has better styling over the others. But if you simply want the wind in your face they all do a good job.

ORIGINAL: atomic

The Roadliner S is definitely the best looking japanesse bike out there. Nothing else comes close. I thought about buying one but as they are almost 15k I thought why not pay a little more and get what I really want.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Biref ride on a Yamaha Roadliner